Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BlazingPostie

First grow, a couple of questions before I start....

31 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have a couple of questions before I start my first attempt;

So I'm going for a budbox starting kit, 120×120×200 as it comes with the essentials.

I was planning on doing 4 autos but now I'm thinking maybe 5 or 6 would be more suited to the tent size?

Also, I was going to do the whole thing under 600w hps, but am having second thoughts on that; is it not just a waste of money/electricity in the early stages? Would it make more sense to get a MH or a 250w HPS for the early stages and then swap to 600 around week 3/4?

Any thoughts guys?

49 minutes ago, BlazingPostie said:

Hi all, I have a couple of questions before I start my first attempt;

So I'm going for a budbox starting kit, 120×120×200 as it comes with the essentials.

I was planning on doing 4 autos but now I'm thinking maybe 5 or 6 would be more suited to the tent size?

Also, I was going to do the whole thing under 600w hps, but am having second thoughts on that; is it not just a waste of money/electricity in the early stages? Would it make more sense to get a MH or a 250w HPS for the early stages and then swap to 600 around week 3/4?

Any thoughts guys?

Does your 600w not dim at all? Certainly a 600w hps in the seedling stage is too much. Get a CFL maybe? I grow with LED which goes from 220w full pelt dimmed to 30w

2 people like this

The ballast im getting is dimmable but not the bulb, could easily get another one. I guess my question should have been, would it be better to use MH, cfl or hps for early stages? Or a combination maybe? 

How does using MH or cfl in early stages affect yields compared to HPS? 

Get a dimmable ballast and a use a 600watt metal halide for veg, set it to  something like a 400watt for first week or two, , then pump it up to 600w .

once the pistils appear use the HPS lamp straight in at 600 watts.

using a cfl will affect yeild, for the worse.

i would stick with 4 plants in 10 or 15  litre pots if they are autos, in mud. 

4 people like this

I do 4 in 11l felt pots, COCO though, in the same area.  I use a 600w HPS.  I started them under 250w MH for the first few weeks, although 400w is fine too and will be doing the same again shortly.  Keep the lights on 24 hrs and it will help keep temps more stable.  If you go with a light that doesn't throw out much heat, you may need extra heating.  I should add my pots sit on heat mats to keep the roots warm.

2 people like this

Seeing as I've accumulated a selection of ballasts and bulbs over the years I start with a 150w MH when they're really young, then shift to 400w MH and then 600w hps early on in flower and then switch to 1000w hps after first week or so of flowering in same size tent. You could start with a 400w mh as @badbillybob recommends and then 600w hps for flower to avoid having to buy too many bulbs, just make sure not to have the bulb too close during first couple of weeks.

What reflector are you going to use? If you've not already bought one I would highly recommend a parabolic as it gives you a lot more headroom to play with.

400w mh it is then.

regarding temps, from what I've read I thought the hps would be really hot, so I was going to buy an air-cooled reflector

@btk1977 how close is too close? 

While I've got this going I may aswell ask about nutes....I know to reduce quantity but what are the essential ones that I really need? 

So many to choose from! 

1 person likes this

Check out the site sponsor @Intense Nutrients

You probably won't need much "grow" but you will definitely want some "bloom" 

Foundation might not be necessary but it does help with root production,

which is very important whether growing autos or photoperiods. 

OG Granules again not necessary but will help the plants to uptake nutrients. 

Runzyme will help gaurd against root rot by breaking down any dead material and converting it into food for the plants and microbes. 

They also do a "dirt grow" and "dirt bloom" which isn't organic, 

so it's better for automatic feeding systems. 

They also do a coco, 

a 60/40 and a Hydro range :)

Atb 

Welcome to uk420 

Added: if you buy through another of our site sponsors @One Tree Horticulture

There's a discount code 

:yinyang:

2 people like this

18 hours ago, BlazingPostie said:

400w mh it is then.

regarding temps, from what I've read I thought the hps would be really hot, so I was going to buy an air-cooled

HPS does produce a lot of heat compared to LED but at the moment it freezing outside, so depending on where you draw your fresh air from you may need that heat.  I struggled in the summer to cool my tent, now its winter I need heat mats!!

2 people like this

3 hours ago, InMyPocket said:

HPS does produce a lot of heat compared to LED but at the moment it freezing outside, so depending on where you draw your fresh air from you may need that heat.  I struggled in the summer to cool my tent, now its winter I need heat mats!!

I was planning on using the only window in that room for exhausting air, so the window will be open all the time...will this create enough fresh air? 

Will I need a fan for intake also? 

I will get a parabolic reflector instead of air cooled and also  I  think heat mats are probably a safe bet with what you've said! 

@Shumroom  thanks for the info, will check out the site sponsors 

1 person likes this

@BlazingPostie I draw air from the room I grow in.  The exhaust goes out a vent to the outside world.  During the summer I struggled with keeping it cool. I had active input, window open but pumping huge amounts of hot air didnt help me cool it much, I could do 28-30 on a good day.

Now its winter and I have the window closed and the active input off and with the pots on mats and fans turned down, can hold 28 air temp and roots at 23.

So during the colder months you want the heat but during the summer, depending on your extraction it can be a lot.

I am happier growing when its colder and I found adding heat easier, plus with a fan controller you can slow the air flow to hold heat. In the summer, when they were on max there wasn't much else I could do

2 people like this

Must admit I hadn't thought about the fact the air in the summer would be warm! :wallbash:

I could potentially knock through the wall to the chimney behind and use that as ventilation....that was my initial plan anyway but thought it was hassle if it wasn't necessary

Fan controller sounds like a very good idea.

Extraction will just be basic setup that comes with the kit for now, so I'm not expecting miracles...

I should add that the room doesn't get TOO much sun even in the summer due to the layout of the house....so hopefully it would be manageable even if the window was open? 

I'd have to recommend against buying a "kit" as usually they cut corners/quality over price. 

Give the guys @One Tree Horticulture a shout with what you are after.

Mon - Fri 10 - 5 // Sat 10 - 4

Atb 

:yinyang:

I brought a kit that came with a 5" RAM fan, I brought a 6" RVK for my second run as the first fan barely touched the heat.

If you haven't already brought it @Shumroom is right. A kit you will end up wanting to change/upgrade pretty quick.  The extraction is important as it helps control your environment, which is what makes the difference.

1 person likes this

I assumed it would be good enough to get me going and then I could add bits as I go....guess I was wrong!  

There is an option to upgrade to a 6" hyperfan for £130

Filter is rhino 125/300mm or 150/600mm

Components bought separately, roughly what kinda money are we talking?