Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

hhw01

First Grow - Northern Lights 400w

Hi!

I've learnt a lot reading other people grow diaries on here over the past few weeks so thought I would give back and start my own and maybe learn more along the way. I'll be using a combination of @Serpent's guide and some recommendations from the bloke at my local grow shop. 

First off here's my setup:

3x Northern Lights autos from Sensi Seeds - been thinking about adding one more seed of another strain as I may as well fill the tent and use the full 400w?

Plant Magic Plus Soil

11L fabric pots

400w dual spectrum

digital adjustable ballast

0.8m x 0.8m tent

5" extractor fan

rhino filter - not yet installed

Mills A&B nutrients

Canna PK 13/14 

So far I've left seeds in a glass of water for 36hrs and they're now sitting in some jiffy pellets under plastic bottles in the tent. I've been testing the temperature and humidity levels to try and get my environment sorted before the seeds sprout and go into veg. With the lights on during the day the tent is reaching a steady temperature of 31C so going to have to think of some ways to bring this down a bit. I plan to use an 18/6 cycle so I will have the lights off between 6pm and midnight.

Learned so much already from reading this forum but any further thoughts or advice would be great!

large.thumbnail_IMG_3369.jpglarge.thumbnail_IMG_3371.jpglarge.thumbnail_IMG_3373.jpg

Just a thought, why not have the lights off during the afternoon when it's going to be it's hottest? The temps this week are due to hit around 30 so it'll be even hotter in the tent. Anything between 22-26 is ideal for autos.

Hope it all goes well for you, no doubt i'll be checking back for more updates :yep:

2 people like this

32 minutes ago, mystic_roots said:

Just a thought, why not have the lights off during the afternoon when it's going to be it's hottest? The temps this week are due to hit around 30 so it'll be even hotter in the tent. Anything between 22-26 is ideal for autos.

Hope it all goes well for you, no doubt i'll be checking back for more updates :yep:

The tents in our bedroom atm so I was hoping to have the lights off around the time me and the missus are off to bed haha. But looking like I may have to just spread the off time over the hottest hours. 

Ok, so a little update. Am now on day two from when they first popped and the jiffy pellets have been planted into the final pots. I've been doing some tests on my tent and temps have been hitting 36. I'm sure everyone else is in similar situations though? I've been told to just leave the plants outside the tent with a little bit of sun and wait till the outside temps drop a bit. How's everyone else dealing with the heat?large.thumbnail_IMG_3390.jpglarge.thumbnail_IMG_3392.jpg

Yo, similar problem least week even with my 6 hours off being during the day! Bottle of frozen water inside the tent in front of the intake dropped the temp by nearly 4 degrees. Have one in tent and one in freezer so you can swap out one for one 

4 hours ago, SmokeyMcSmokeson said:

Yo, similar problem least week even with my 6 hours off being during the day! Bottle of frozen water inside the tent in front of the intake dropped the temp by nearly 4 degrees. Have one in tent and one in freezer so you can swap out one for one 

That’s sounds like a pretty good idea. Thanks for the suggestion! Will give it a go. Atm I’m just leaving the tent open with a fan blowing into it. It’s dropped the temp to 28 but also dropped humidity to 37% suppose it’s just going to be a bit of trial and error to find the sweet spot.

On 22/06/2020 at 5:13 PM, hhw01 said:

Hi!

I've learnt a lot reading other people grow diaries on here over the past few weeks so thought I would give back and start my own and maybe learn more along the way. I'll be using a combination of @Serpent's guide and some recommendations from the bloke at my local grow shop. 

First off here's my setup:

3x Northern Lights autos from Sensi Seeds - been thinking about adding one more seed of another strain as I may as well fill the tent and use the full 400w?

Plant Magic Plus Soil

11L fabric pots

400w dual spectrum

digital adjustable ballast

0.8m x 0.8m tent

5" extractor fan

rhino filter - not yet installed

Mills A&B nutrients

Canna PK 13/14 

So far I've left seeds in a glass of water for 36hrs and they're now sitting in some jiffy pellets under plastic bottles in the tent. I've been testing the temperature and humidity levels to try and get my environment sorted before the seeds sprout and go into veg. With the lights on during the day the tent is reaching a steady temperature of 31C so going to have to think of some ways to bring this down a bit. I plan to use an 18/6 cycle so I will have the lights off between 6pm and midnight.

Learned so much already from reading this forum but any further thoughts or advice would be great!

large.thumbnail_IMG_3369.jpglarge.thumbnail_IMG_3371.jpglarge.thumbnail_IMG_3373.jpg

Good luck with your first grow mate. Its an exciting time doing the first one. Few observations from my experiences. It's easy to over water in a big pot so be mindful of that. I use PM soil and my autos usually get all the way to pre-flowering without adding any nutes. The soil itself should be enough to get you there. Normally about 3-4 weeks in. I'll only give them root juice and some bio silicon during veg. Then I give fish mix or grow as they go into flower then bloom and a small amount of fish mix each feed through flowering.

The key to autos I've found is get them in a wet / dry cycle as soon as possible, keep them happy and healthy through the very short veg period of 3-4 weeks and they'll take care of themselves. They need the best start in the early stages and they'll reward you later on.

You planning to train them? I start LST about the 4th node. In a healthy environment that's usually week 3. I keep bending and tying them down from then on. Soon as you see any upward growth, get it tied down. They respond really well to a bit of LST. My last run with LST got me 16 bud sites all evenly spaced and level. Just need to ensure the main stem is tied slightly lower than the side branches.

Do you have any circulating fans in the tent? They don't do much with high temps as they just blow the hot air around but a constant breeze across the canopy will cool the plant a little bit and help with heat stress but the breeze is really important to strengthen the stems, especially during veg. You want them dancing in the wind.

ATB mate. Looks like you've given them a good start. I'll defo follow along.

1 person likes this

On 27/06/2020 at 9:28 PM, ShiHanazono said:

Good luck with your first grow mate. Its an exciting time doing the first one. Few observations from my experiences. It's easy to over water in a big pot so be mindful of that. I use PM soil and my autos usually get all the way to pre-flowering without adding any nutes. The soil itself should be enough to get you there. Normally about 3-4 weeks in. I'll only give them root juice and some bio silicon during veg. Then I give fish mix or grow as they go into flower then bloom and a small amount of fish mix each feed through flowering.

The key to autos I've found is get them in a wet / dry cycle as soon as possible, keep them happy and healthy through the very short veg period of 3-4 weeks and they'll take care of themselves. They need the best start in the early stages and they'll reward you later on.

You planning to train them? I start LST about the 4th node. In a healthy environment that's usually week 3. I keep bending and tying them down from then on. Soon as you see any upward growth, get it tied down. They respond really well to a bit of LST. My last run with LST got me 16 bud sites all evenly spaced and level. Just need to ensure the main stem is tied slightly lower than the side branches.

Do you have any circulating fans in the tent? They don't do much with high temps as they just blow the hot air around but a constant breeze across the canopy will cool the plant a little bit and help with heat stress but the breeze is really important to strengthen the stems, especially during veg. You want them dancing in the wind.

ATB mate. Looks like you've given them a good start. I'll defo follow along.

Thanks mate - think I'm going to need all the good luck I can get! 

I suppose I'll just play it by ear with the nutes - if they look healthy then I'll just leave them be but if I think they need some I'll just go gentle. Was planning to do some LST as sounds like an easy way to increase the yield. I don't have any circulating fans in the tent yet but was planning on picking one up from the grow shop when I go to pick up my carbon filter. You think just the one will be enough? 

@hhw01 Good luck with the grow, looking good so far!  You're a few days ahead of my first grow with a similar set-up. 

@ShiHanazono Hi mate, can I ask your opinion as you seem to have knowledge on watering autos?  Is it advisable to pre-soak the soil before transplanting the Jiffy or just water round the seedling after transplanting?  I can't seem to find an answer to this and I'll be transplanting soon.  I'm using H&G Batmix.

21 hours ago, BudJ said:

@hhw01 Good luck with the grow, looking good so far!  You're a few days ahead of my first grow with a similar set-up. 

@ShiHanazono Hi mate, can I ask your opinion as you seem to have knowledge on watering autos?  Is it advisable to pre-soak the soil before transplanting the Jiffy or just water round the seedling after transplanting?  I can't seem to find an answer to this and I'll be transplanting soon.  I'm using H&G Batmix.

I haven't used jiffy pellets before but I normally start them in 0.5L bio pots and they go into the final pots after about 10-12 days but yeah when they go into the finals I normally fully soak the pot. I'll let the pot fully dry out before watering again and treat that as the first wet / dry cycle in their big pots.

When I first plant the seeds in the 0.5L pots after germination, I also soak the little pot. I put the little pots in the prop to start them off with the prop lid on. After about 5 to 6 days they normally stretch enough to take the lid off the prop and I'll pot up about 5 days later. When they are in the prop with the lid on, the humidity is so high that I don't really need to water them. Once the lid is off and they dry out a bit, I just top them up with a little water around the seedling if they need it. That usually works for me. Once in the big pots, normally 8 or 10L fabric pots, they start to take off pretty quickly. I have a heat mat under the pots all the way through the grow and I've found it really helps them when they are in the prop to begin with. Keeps it humid and warm for them.

@hhw01 I have 2 fans in my tent. It's a 120x60x150 so a slightly different shape to yours. The fans are only 4" clip on fans but having 2 gives me options in terms of positioning them in different parts of the tent at different stages of the grow. I think it depends on the size of the fan tbh. I prefer 2 small fans but you could go with one but get a bigger sized fan. If you get a bigger oscillating fan that could do the same job as 2 fans tbh. I like positioning one so there's airflow across the canopy and one slightly higher blowing under the lights. If things get a bit humid or a bit hot, I have a bigger 6" fan that I can stick in if needed but I'm using LED as opposed to HPS so I can get away with slightly smaller fans.

1 person likes this

Ok so another little update. Now on day seven and going alright I think. The seedlings seem to have stretched a bit i think, but overall not too bad? The temps seem to have dropped to a more or less ideal level as the weathers cooled down a bit. It does occasionally reach around 31 degrees but just for one or two hours a day. In an effort to boost humidity I've been using an 'ultrasonic mist maker' in a saucer which seems to do the job pretty well and needs refilling only once a day. 

Have also purchased a green crack auto seed from seedsman which I'm buzzing to add to the tent!

When I took the pictures just now I noticed that the two weaker plants have drooped a fair bit. The soil was quite dry so thinking it's maybe under watering? The lights had also only just come back on so maybe they were just a bit sleepy or something? Any advise on this would be great!

large.106348421_268538327562765_6886964421071033044_n.jpglarge.103364004_274193436972215_1836776509821107873_n.jpg

Hi bro I would say your light is a bit far away from the plant. Can tell by the stretching of the seedlings. Maybe need it around 18 inches away from them.

Just a thought tho as not wanting your plants to over stretch up the way