Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

PeteThePest

Keeping heat down

23 posts in this topic

Hi all, I recently chopped my one plant that I was growing as a trial under some cheapo chinese light, I got surprisingly quite a good few good size colas off it lol
Anyway I chopped it and had them hanging to dry but just the other day it was 21c outside which in turn made the attic 30c, I couldn't for the life of me get the temps down, I even ran the duct pipe directly out the edge of the gable as far as I could but temps remained the same bar a degree or two less, so my question is how can I keep the heat down? Moving the tent isn't an option unfortunately, the tent is only a 80x80
Is there a way to do this that im missing? Something easy and affective?
TIA

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Airflow and more airflow.
What fan equipment have you got?

Have you got an intake and extract fan?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, MicGrow said:

Airflow and more airflow.
What fan equipment have you got?

Have you got an intake and extract fan?

I did have it so that the extractor fan was on the top of the tent drawing air through the bottom duct pipe
But then I moved it to the bottom so that it was drawing air directly in from the bottom "extractor on duct at bottom"
The reason I didn't want to get too much air blowing on it was I heard it would impair the colas flavour, but heat is probably worse?
 Should I just get another fan and have one in one out?
I was planning on growing again in the coming weeks but this has put me off because if the weather gets warm again I'll be doomed lol

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, PeteThePest said:

I did have it so that the extractor fan was on the top of the tent drawing air through the bottom duct pipe
But then I moved it to the bottom so that it was drawing air directly in from the bottom "extractor on duct at bottom"
The reason I didn't want to get too much air blowing on it was I heard it would impair the colas flavour, but heat is probably worse?
 Should I just get another fan and have one in one out?
I was planning on growing again in the coming weeks but this has put me off because if the weather gets warm again I'll be doomed lol

 

I feel you..... Big up Loft life. Wait till Sept. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Is there a better tent I could get that would stop attic heat getting in? One that is known for being good at keeping the temps you set as apposed to the outer environment temps?

Share this post


Link to post

Airflow bro. You want your plants dancing in the wind.

 

What size extract fan have you got? What type of light are you using?


Extract the hot air out the top of your tent (heat rises.)

Ideally you'd extract directly to outdoors through a duct.

 

Intake cool air from your house into the bottom of your tent. 

(Probably with another fan and certainly a duct.)

 

There should also be a circulation fan inside the tent to keep those plants dancing.

 

You need negative pressure in your tent to control odor, this will ensure all air leaving your tent goes through the carbon filter.
(I assume you have a carbon filter, it's a must.)

To achieve negative pressure the intake fan needs to be smaller than the outtake fan, or (and) controlled by a fan controller.

 

You could also consider a separate extraction from the highest point in your loft space as well as your tents ventilation to cool the loft space.
Also, insulating your tent could help.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, PeteThePest said:

 keeping the temps you set 

No clue how you do that, and no. 

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, MicGrow said:

Airflow bro. You want your plants dancing in the wind.

 

What size extract fan have you got? What type of light are you using?


Extract the hot air out the top of your tent (heat rises.)

Ideally you'd extract directly to outdoors through a duct.

 

Intake cool air from your house into the bottom of your tent. 

(Probably with another fan and certainly a duct.)

 

There should also be a circulation fan inside the tent to keep those plants dancing.

 

You need negative pressure in your tent to control odor, this will ensure all air leaving your tent goes through the carbon filter.
(I assume you have a carbon filter, it's a must.)

To achieve negative pressure the intake fan needs to be smaller than the outtake fan, or (and) controlled by a fan controller.

 

You could also consider a separate extraction from the highest point in your loft space as well as your tents ventilation to cool the loft space.
Also, insulating your tent could help.




 

I like that idea about getting the air from the house as my bedroom is directly below me so that is easy to do with a little cutting, missus might not like it but she loves to smoke so will get used to it lol

I'm unsure of the size of the extractor fan but it fits in the holes perfectly and looks exactly like this "it was a hand me down"
The light I have is some cheap thing from china "LED" but I am planning to get one from DIYleduk soon
I have a carbon filter too for it
The top of the tent is at the highest point :(
I must look into getting an intake fan too, the extractor fan is quite powerful and sucks the tent in when on
613mwRBG2+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by PeteThePest

Share this post


Link to post

Imo if the weather is too hot outside and you're trying to dry, other than an AC unit, there's not much you can do.

You don't want too much air flow or heat passing over/through your drying buds. 

 

It's that time of year I guess. I'm chopping in 4-5 weeks time. I hope we have a shit summer :sweaty:lol

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

If at all possible I would avoid drying in the loft. I grow in mine and its a nightmare. First time I've done a grow where its finishing this time of year as I normally start Sep or Jan but was later this year. No way I could dry up there! They'd be done in a day.

 

Like others have said, I'd get some house air running into the tent asap. If you are pulling air directly from the loft you'll never get the temps down with 30c ambient. You have more leeway during a grow because you can just keep adding more airflow but with drying it's way more restricted.

 

My tent is wrapped in thermal insulation. Great to keep the heat in and keep it out. Thermapure I think is the brand. About 30 bucks for a roll and you wont need much for an 80x80.

 

I saw on another post some dude had filled a cooler or cool bag with ice cold bottles of water and sat them next to the intake so it pulled in nice cool air. Pretty good idea, although I'd be concerned about increasing the humidity with that.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, QFMAC said:

It's that time of year I guess. I'm chopping in 4-5 weeks time. I hope we have a shit summer :sweaty:lol

 

I was on dry day 10 and the ambient got up to 23/24 outside. I'm like fuck off with your lovely weather. Just give me 10c just for a few more days!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, PeteThePest said:

I must look into getting an intake fan too, the extractor fan is quite powerful and sucks the tent in when on
613mwRBG2+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

 

Are you running a fan controller with the extraction?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, ShiHanazono said:

 

Are you running a fan controller with the extraction?

No, dont have one at all

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, QFMAC said:

I hope we have a shit summer :sweaty:lol

I fell you there fella on many levels :-)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Flatulance will create more pressure than that fan mate it's next to useless for this hobby 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now