Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Caly

New Grower Questions.

18 posts in this topic
16 hours ago, Joint hogger said:

if your in the UK there's loads of grow shops online who deliver discretely, just so you dont need to go into the same place.

if you can get female clones, you need to hand water with the Autopot system until the roots grow long enough that they reach the bottom of the pots

then you set the system to water automatically, the water timer is to stop you watering the plants too much, a few folk on the site who use Autopots recommend using them.

with an Amazon system, theyre easier to set up & due to way the system feeds the plants, you can use them straight away with clones, But, you will need to get a good Ph & a good EC pen

(factor about £40-£50 each for decent pens) & you will need to learn how to read Ph & EC levels  (Ph for the waters Acidity & EC for the amount of food in the water).

As for working out the cost of the Grow's additional electricity use overall then you can use Sites grow room calculator to work the cost out roughly,  CLICK HERE

to use it properly, you need to know the cost of a kw, the average is 15p per kw, next you need the dimensions of the tent, you say its 4' x 8' ? it sounds like a 1.2m x 2.4m x 2m or possibly a 2.2m tent ?

what make is it ?  & how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking ? Also, what type of reflector did you get with the light set ups ?

e2a - just realized, I meant to suggest the Wilma system instead of the Amazon, also checked out some prices, a 12 pot Autopot system with a 100ltr tank costs about £290, with the Wilma systems

there's two sizes that would suit you, Wilma System XL (90cm X 90cm) & costs about £140 each, or there's the Wilma System XXL (115cm X 115cm) & thats about £200 each.

its not cheap this growing game but once your up & running, you get the payback  :skin_up::skin_up::skin_up::smokin:

Thanks @Joint hogger - Which shops online would you recommend?

Would I just need one EC pen per grow?

Just done the costing and it's quoting me £91 a month running 2 600W for 18 hours, so maybe I should allow £100 a month for additional electric usage and anything under that is a bonus?

And yes I have a 1.2 x 2.4 x 2m tent so I'll work out the costing on that. It's made by Light House and it's the LITE revision and I paid £275. I have just aluminium shiny reflective hoods, this are the ones the guys in the shop gave me with the bulbs and ballast (sorry my knowledge is vague so that description maybe wrong).

So which ever water system I go for, it should be around £300 or less?

Thanks PS. Looking forward to the payback, I'm determined to get the conditions right and again thank you so much for your help. 

Edited by Caly

Cant really recommend anyone in particular because theyre not a site sponsor anymore but if you do a search grow shops uk, check out the top ten,

check their prices & check the finer aspects of their delivery service, ie do they wrap things discretely  ?  cause you dont want something delivered which

screams grow gear cause not only will the delivery guy know what you've bought, so will any other bugger in the street who's into growing.

if you get a Ph & an EC pen, look after them & they'll last a few years, just do a bit of reading on calibration & the fluid testers you can get, they only cost a few quid each.

as for your tent, I dont know that make but a wee tip for you once the tents been assembled, watch that you dont burst the zips.

as for the running costs, dont forget to factor in any additional costs for heating, when plants are growing you need to keep the temps above 20c & dont go above 35c at the max,

once you get your ventilation sorted your temps will be more stable.

same with what hydro system to go for, I cant honestly say as I've mostly grown in soil & have only dabbled with hydro in the past but seeing as your a new grower,

I'd suggest the 90cm x 90cm Wilma's with the 8x11ltr pots, the reason I wouldnt go with the bigger 115cm x 115cm Wilma is that the smaller system will give you more room

to work in the tent & more importantly, the 90cm costs about £140 & the 115cm is £200 each.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Joint hogger said:

Cant really recommend anyone in particular because theyre not a site sponsor anymore but if you do a search grow shops uk, check out the top ten,

check their prices & check the finer aspects of their delivery service, ie do they wrap things discretely  ?  cause you dont want something delivered which

screams grow gear cause not only will the delivery guy know what you've bought, so will any other bugger in the street who's into growing.

if you get a Ph & an EC pen, look after them & they'll last a few years, just do a bit of reading on calibration & the fluid testers you can get, they only cost a few quid each.

as for your tent, I dont know that make but a wee tip for you once the tents been assembled, watch that you dont burst the zips.

as for the running costs, dont forget to factor in any additional costs for heating, when plants are growing you need to keep the temps above 20c & dont go above 35c at the max,

once you get your ventilation sorted your temps will be more stable.

same with what hydro system to go for, I cant honestly say as I've mostly grown in soil & have only dabbled with hydro in the past but seeing as your a new grower,

I'd suggest the 90cm x 90cm Wilma's with the 8x11ltr pots, the reason I wouldnt go with the bigger 115cm x 115cm Wilma is that the smaller system will give you more room

to work in the tent & more importantly, the 90cm costs about £140 & the 115cm is £200 each.

Thanks @Joint hogger

The gear I have currently is the following:

Reflector - Lumii Black

Bulbs - Lumii Black 600w dual spec HPS

Ballast - Lumii Black 

Please could you let me know they are good to start with for my first grow?

Next thing I'm getting this week is the vent system and heavy duty timers with contactors. For my grow space (1.2 x 2.0 x 2.4) please could you confirm on the size of fans and list the brands recommended?

Thank you again.