Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

moon grower

RDWC pump recommendation

Alright lads, just set up a diy 5 pot rdwc system (4 plants 1 control) about 200 to 250lt in total. I'm using a Jebao eco EFP 8000gph pump for the spray bars and I can hear the pump vibrating/buzzing outside of the grow area which is obviously a no no. I've tried all the obvious stuff, fitted a rubber collar between pump and outlet pipe, sitting the pump on a sponge inside the control tub and I've put carpet underlay under the control tub it doesn't make any difference tbh. I sent the pump back and got a replacement thinking it was the pump but it's still the same... 

So what make pump is everyone using in there systems and do they run quiet... 

I’ve got the same issue I’m using a hailea hx8815 which was silent for a day or so then started making a racket. I’ve just brought a hailea hx8825 but the inlet is to big for my pipe work so need to get a reducer to make it work but it runs quite under water atm when I tested it 

I was doing a load of searching on Google last night and came across these pumps in the photo. A lot of marine tank users use them because they run really quiet, you could also buy one that's bigger than needed and run at 75% power. This is what I do with my exhaust fan, its bigger than what I need and I only let it max out at 75% so it can't be heard outside the room. 

If you've not got your reduces yet here's a ebay number that I got mine from mate 202755388777large.Screenshot_20200125_090843_com_ebay.mobile.jpg

1 person likes this

make sure the buzzing isn't from your airstones vibrating on the side/bottom of your tanks if you have them, I have found them to make more noise than the water pump in my past setups 

Ended up getting some foam mats under each tote but with Dwc it's noisy and you tune out hearing the hum after a while 

Best of luck mate 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Intense Nutrients Matt said:

make sure the buzzing isn't from your airstones vibrating on the side/bottom of your tanks if you have them, I have found them to make more noise than the water pump in my past setups 

Ended up getting some foam mats under each tote but with Dwc it's noisy and you tune out hearing the hum after a while 

Best of luck mate 

Don't use air stones mate it's definitely the pump, guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy the one above and see if that solves the problem 

On 24/01/2020 at 11:22 PM, moon grower said:

Alright lads, just set up a diy 5 pot rdwc system (4 plants 1 control) about 200 to 250lt in total. I'm using a Jebao eco EFP 8000gph pump for the spray bars and I can hear the pump vibrating/buzzing outside of the grow area which is obviously a no no. I've tried all the obvious stuff, fitted a rubber collar between pump and outlet pipe, sitting the pump on a sponge inside the control tub and I've put carpet underlay under the control tub it doesn't make any difference tbh. I sent the pump back and got a replacement thinking it was the pump but it's still the same... 

So what make pump is everyone using in there systems and do they run quiet... 

@moon growerHave a look at Chsrles Austen pumps awesome bits of kit

1 person likes this

I run hailea hx 8840 and a t8000 pump in mine. neither are silent, but they aren't that loud. a low buzz sound I suppose.

there is no such thing as a silent pump, but the DC pumps are meant to be quieter.

ive not tried one to find out to be honest, but they seem quiet enough in the aquarium shops etc.

id check the noise isn't coming from the pipework vibrating.

1 person likes this