Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Iz123

Extractor fan

19 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, have been reading a lot and there is so much great knowledge I've been absorbing, unfortunately I'm a good few months away from starting my own groom but I have a great idea I feel would be good to share. 

On a diary I saw a guy making a water cooling system for his LED lights, the pipes looked like they came off the back of a fridge, they connected to a car radiator mounted to a wooden board with a fan mounted to the radiator, he was asking very little of the radiator to cool the heat. 

What I've been thinking is just in case anyone wanted to make the extra precaution with cooling down extracted air after passing through the filter, maybe connecting to a large intercooler, one from a large wagon potentially, if the ducting was attached the intercooler would that cool down the air to a consistent temperature? Could potentially skip having to tap into the flu or maybe in a new house, could be a solution to not even having a flu to extract out of? 

Just putting the idea out there to see what anyone thinks 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I am not too long here either but.....

I think you are over complicating the issue imo.

Regarding extraction. the main idea is to vent this air out of the room as its kind of stale.

I good growing enviroment will have fresh clean air as an intake, and exhausting the stale air out of the room, this usually means it exiting through a carbon filter first to remove the smell.

Doing it the way you suggested, would cool down the air but unless its extracted from the room, you are just re-using the same air all the time, which i think is a bad idea.

Also if venting to outside, there is not really much cause to cool down the air, unless in frosty conditions, it melts the ice off the roof lol.

Someone more expierenced will probably explain it more

Edited by Subutai
1 person likes this

If there's a warm jet of air coming out of your house then I wouldn't worry.  How many people have tumble dryers venting straight out of their walls?  Presumably you're thinking about the helicopter Nazis spotting the grow.  It might look a little more suspicious if you had a large grow in a shed but otherwise it never bothered me.

adding diy water cooling to Leds is a bad idea, if it was worth while & cost effective, the Led manufacturers would already have done it,

plus if you were to attempt this, what would happen if there was a leak  ?  its also worth pointing out that Led units dont put out much heat

compared to other lighting systems like HPS or CMH.

if its the copper in the chopper your worried about  ? then ignore them as its all mostly propaganda bullshit.

bear in mind that it costs thousands to run the chopper & unless your running thousands of wattage in lighting then you can ignore them. 

most of the folk that have been spied on by the copper in the chopper have already been grassed up by showing off the grow to someone or have a big mouth,

not using carbon filters & stinking your house/street out, or by bypassing their leccy meter & the leccy company phones the cops, the leccy companies know

when theyre being diddled.

as for cooling extracted air, most folk dont worry about it much & most folk tap into fire places or chimneys (if theyre not being used) or rely on air bricks or

gaps in the attic to mix the air. you can even reclaim the heat as long as your extracting into another room away from the grow rooom,

providing there's a good air flow/exchange otherwise it can lead to mold & dampness.

IMO the more you complicate a system, the harder it will be to fix and maintain. 

Also, thermodynamically speaking... water cooling would be about as useful as a single piece of toilet roll at a bukkake party. It's just a wholly inefficient way of cooling the environment of a tent as opposed to cooling the internal parts of a computer. 

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, Nervous said:

IMO the more you complicate a system, the harder it will be to fix and maintain. 

water cooling would be about as useful as a single piece of toilet roll at a bukkake party.

Lmmfao :george:

1 person likes this

Single ply too. 

1 person likes this

TOO MUCH TALK OF BUKKAKE, I'm out  lol

1 person likes this

Lmao thanks guys, I was mostly thinking about the issues of people not having a chimney they could vent out of, as if it were to go out the side of the wall high up the building could be an indication of a grow, no one has two boilers in their house? Also would be pretty bad extracting through the house in summer, would be boiling.

Forgive me for sounding stupid but I would have thought the extracted air wouldn't be that bad as it should be richer in oxygen? Although in that case come to think of it, when on 12/12 its just a two sided coin. 

Oh well, was worth a thought and thanks for replying.

1 person likes this

:smug:

1 person likes this

As it goes there are water cooled LED lights available , they never really took off though , with water cooled stuff there comes a point you have to cool the water lol 

On 1/9/2020 at 8:56 AM, Nervous said:

Also, thermodynamically speaking... water cooling would be about as useful as a single piece of toilet roll at a bukkake party. It's just a wholly inefficient way of cooling the environment of a tent as opposed to cooling the internal parts of a computer. 

:)  :)  :)  

1 person likes this

On 1/8/2020 at 11:17 PM, JJJ said:

If there's a warm jet of air coming out of your house then I wouldn't worry.  How many people have tumble dryers venting straight out of their walls?  Presumably you're thinking about the helicopter Nazis spotting the grow.  It might look a little more suspicious if you had a large grow in a shed but otherwise it never bothered me.

Mr Paranoid speaking "But, how many people have their tumble dryers on 18 or 12 hours a day?"    :)   

16 hours ago, pepe16 said:

Mr Paranoid speaking "But, how many people have their tumble dryers on 18 or 12 hours a day?"    :)   

Or how many helicopters have the fuel capacity to hover over your house for 12 - 18 hrs per day...?  :wassnnme:

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

Or how many helicopters have the fuel capacity to hover over your house for 12 - 18 hrs per day...?  :wassnnme:

Due to local scumbag activity, and dissident monitoring, we get quite a lot.   Last week there was a helo over our area, and it was loud, for half  an hour!   At least once or twice a month.   And they land locally, so back in the air in no time at all.  A friend got busted, but he had over 250 plants - 100m from the local (HUGE) copshop!  But apparently, you could smell the green on the street 50m away ;(     I'd no idea he was even growing.   his role was watering and tending, but on his property.    With overflights 10 times a day, especially at night, when it gets busy, he must have had an IR signature like an Iranian Uranium Enrichment factory :)     Funnily enough, they're fucked on a few legal aspects.   Place was rigged with cctv, installed surreptitiously, so they had him on camera :(   bit hard to talk your way out of that one, but he just muttered "i just water"....and stuck to that.      I'm not particulaly "that" paranoid,  but it still gives me the willies when I hear the bastard hovering for 20 minutes :)   Que sera, sera, whatever will be, will be....

I suppose I could try and get a .50 calibre rifle.....that would sort it ha ha ha :)   Then a 20 year sentence.....which would defeat the purpose.    Thankfully, the air entering room isn't hot..but room heats up, hence need to crack window.    There is no heating in it apart from some tubular jobs at bottom of tent.
The musings of a lunatic.   You'll get used to it :)    

Edited by pepe16
some madness added
1 person likes this