Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

catweazle1

Strains with consistent phenotype

50 posts in this topic

As per title. What strains have given you the narrowest range of phenotypes, ie the most consistent properties, from the listed properties for that strain? For example if a strain is listed as "short and compact"  and nearly all of them are then that would be a consistent phenotype. I've planted seeds of some varieties of the same strain and they all look distinctly different in some way and smell as well, whereas another they've been like peas in a pod, which was DP's Critical Orange Punch in that case. It is the latter type I'm interested in that you have come across.

Edited by catweazle1
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Better off with cuttings I think if you want everything to be uniform. I'd like to say cmog as iv seen loads of posts saying it's very easy to find a keeper out of a pack but I can't say from experience. And not sure how many phenos.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Ugorg blues all grow similar, light feeder, doesn’t like cold

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Cmog and blackdog from HSO both grow plants very similar in terms of structure and flowers but they are quite different on the taste side between each pheno. Not a very big difference but its easy to choose the best one bcause theres one standing out the others. On the other hand, blue dream cbd also from HSO (if you are interested in thc:cbd 1:1) they look very different in structure, flower shape and flowering times but, after a month+ of curing, they all taste and smell quite similar. It was hard to recognize who was who. 

Agree with bushdoc on blues as Ive grown ugorg blues just once but out of 3 plants they all looked like twins. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Nothing from in house genetics lol

 

Never had such a wild selection of phenotypes as with this breeder!

 

They use some nice genetics but they get nowhere near to stabilising before release.

 

From my personal experience, blues from UGORG throws out very similar pheno's.

 

 

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, michaeldbc said:

Better off with cuttings I think if you want everything to be uniform. I'd like to say cmog as iv seen loads of posts saying it's very easy to find a keeper out of a pack but I can't say from experience. And not sure how many phenos.

This is true but I'm just wondering what's out there that people think are relatively uniform physiologically  in their experience compared to others they've grown.  Recently, I've popped several of each White Rhino, Orange Hill Special and Critical Punch and the first two had a noticeably wider variation than the Punch. This got me thinking as to what others might have that same kind of structural consistency. I'll look into the CMOG and Ugorg Blues. Thanks for the responses guys.

 

To keep things simple I'll specify consistency in structure and finished height. I just realised that not all breeders are aiming for the same goals. i.e. some may be aiming for consistency potency/flavour  between plants with little regard for structure on the assumption that growers will manipulate height by scrogging etc.

Edited by catweazle1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, bushdoc said:

Ugorg blues all grow similar, light feeder, doesn’t like cold

Absolutely hates the cold. 
Is this still using the same parents these days? 
had a few packs over the years and the current lot doesn’t seem to be the same as the original release years ago

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Been a few years since I grown it but i did from seed for quite a few years and was always consistent. Don’t think vrg has changed it since he got it to where he wanted years ago.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

best ones ive ever grew from seeds, are black jack from sweet seeds, all about the same size, short and bushy, they all produce a strong incense/ lemony kush smell. very uniform too

allso cream caramel is a good 1. from HSO there dr greenthumb's /cypress hills ,em dog grows very short and bushy, with big fat colas of funky diesel fuel/ hashy coffee kush smelling buds, with a taste that makes your mouth water, better than stardawg ,the kind of smoke you have with a mate and your both blowing out smoke saying im getting diesel fuel, then a second later its im tasting hashy coffe funk now on the exhale lol top shelf weed from seed is the em dog. and ive grew thousands of seeds over the years from most good companys since my sensi seedbank first grow years ago. :yinyang:

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

here is a picture of the em dog, they love getting topped, and stretch after flipping the lights to 12/12 is at about 1 foot to 1.5 foot tall. so they dont grow tall but bushy/ thick buds, that are full of stinky kush resin. im glad i have one in my tent now about to flower her, as i love the stuff. :hippy:

 

 

large.IMG_1091.JPG

10 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

As per title. What strains have given you the narrowest range of phenotypes, ie the most consistent properties, from the listed properties for that strain? For example if a strain is listed as "short and compact"  and nearly all of them are then that would be a consistent phenotype. I've planted seeds of some varieties of the same strain and they all look distinctly different in some way and smell as well, whereas another they've been like peas in a pod, which was DP's Critical Orange Punch in that case. It is the latter type I'm interested in that you have come across.

 

IBLs or true F1s for uniformity.. Things like afghan 1, Hindu Kush, skunk no1 etc...  Perhaps the most isogenic cultivar I've ever seen would be Santa Marta Gold.  Unfortunately these types of lines are few and far between, with most of todays 'strains' just being polyhybrid recombinations of the same genetics. And as Olac says some of these hipster companies in the sates are basically just slamming together unstable individuals meaning you get 10 distinctly different genotypes from a 10 pack lol 

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Amarillo slim said:

 

IBLs or true F1s for uniformity.. Things like afghan 1, Hindu Kush, skunk no1 etc...  Perhaps the most isogenic cultivar I've ever seen would be Santa Marta Gold.  Unfortunately these types of lines are few and far between, with most of todays 'strains' just being polyhybrid recombinations of the same genetics. And as Olac says some of these hipster companies in the sates are basically just slamming together unstable individuals meaning you get 10 distinctly different genotypes from a 10 pack lol 

That is  interesting too know. Thanks. 

 

Yes, That's what I suspect: that some/many newer companies aren't stabilizing their strains and I thought I'd ask here and see what companies take their breeding seriously as a long term exercise.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

That is  interesting too know. Thanks. 

 

I thought I'd ask here and see what companies take their breeding seriously as a long term exercise.

 

Mene Gene Freeborn selections, breeder Steve Spice of life are two that come to mind.  

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Ive just grown 4 HSO mango sapphire and they were very uniform almost identical, all top quality as well,

Sensi seeds shiva skunk are very uniform and a top powerfull smoke, bit of a bitch to trim though !

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

IBL amnesia ,menage a trois and some of the UGORG ones like mentioned ,and many more ,but some variety in the batch can be a nice surprise ,and sometimes it isn't . Blues though has some different plants but not very different ,the purple-ish and hard nugget flower I thought had a more musky smell than the one with more green and lighter bud ,but they were still fairly similar ,and killer skunk ain't too far off them . That batch can have a more sativa leaning plant . I've had some consistently poor varieties too . 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now