Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bushmat

Week 1 cuttings low temp

Hi guys,

ive just potted some cuttings ( Galeto wedding cake & blue cheese) under a week ago in plant magic soil, but my tent temp is staying around 18* 

im running them on a CFL 300w bulb with a 80w tube heater above the light 24/0.

how badly will this affect their growth?  I was planning on leaving them like this until I switch them to 12/12 with different light set up.

just want to know if they will grow or not? Or do I need to up the temp?

Thanks

1 person likes this

Put the tube heater on the ground mate.

3 people like this

@Bushmat

They will still grow at 18c but progress will be slower than you will want. Consider that your root zone temperature may be even lower than 18c and can cause plant health issues. Cuttings can be sensitive and obviously prefer ideal growing environment until they are established and growing healthily.

Would aim for at least 24-26c at ground level. Move your tube heater to ground level as suggested, heat rises so may not be effective if placed at the top of your tent.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Nature said:

@Bushmat

They will still grow at 18c but progress will be slower than you will want. Consider that your root zone temperature may be even lower than 18c and can cause plant health issues. Cuttings can be sensitive and obviously prefer ideal growing environment until they are established and growing healthily.

Would aim for at least 24-26c at ground level. Move your tube heater to ground level as suggested, heat rises so may not be effective if placed at the top of your tent.

I haven't got the room. 

i haven't introduced any air intake yet. Will another heater be enough or should I get some heat mats? 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Bushmat said:

i haven't introduced any air intake yet. Will another heater be enough or should I get some heat mats? 

Would get a heat mat if you can get one easily. Give your roots and plants some warmth and they will absolutely love you for it, especially during the early cutting stages :) They will develop much faster and healthier with some warmth 

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Nature said:

Would get a heat mat if you can get one easily. Give your roots and plants some warmth and they will absolutely love you for it, especially during the early cutting stages :) They will develop much faster and healthier with some warmth 

Any advice on what one to buy?

whats the best nutrients to give them now?

1 person likes this

double post?

Edited by Nature
double post

13 minutes ago, Bushmat said:

Any advice on what one to buy?

whats the best nutrients to give them now?

Check amazon, search "water resistant plant heat mat" or similar. Choose one with a decent price and good reviews. There are loads, they are all the same thing really. No need to over spend for anything fancy on this.

Curious why you use 24/0 lights too? Always use 18/6, let them sleep. I don't have any scientific evidence to prove it is better but I like to put myself in the plants shoes and would definitely not enjoy being awake 24/7. Same goes for being too cold. I like sleep and warmth :)

edit: not sure about nutrients in your soil type. Most soils have enough nutrients to start off plants so should only be giving root stimulants at this stage really

6 minutes ago, Nature said:

Check amazon, search "water resistant plant heat mat" or similar. Choose one with a decent price and good reviews. There are loads, they are all the same thing really. No need to over spend for anything fancy on this.

Curious why you use 24/0 lights too? Always use 18/6, let them sleep. I don't have any scientific evidence to prove it is better but I like to put myself in the plants shoes and would definitely not enjoy being awake 24/7. Same goes for being too cold. I like sleep and warmth :)

I was only planning on keeping them like that until I got the set up right. Trying to keep as much heat in there.

Yeah, I totally agree with letting them rest. This is still all pretty new to me.

my mate told me to put my first crop on 24/0 for most of the veg and they didn’t seem anywhere near as happy as my last one on 18/6

1 person likes this

@Bushmat

Can understand your approach about keeping heat up with the lights on constantly. Definitely don't want them getting too cold. Will be fine for now.

Would aim to give them some sleep soon when there is more heat available :)

Wish you all the best with your cuttings mate

4 minutes ago, Nature said:

@Bushmat

Can understand your approach about keeping heat up with the lights on constantly. Definitely don't want them getting too cold. Will be fine for now.

Would aim to give them some sleep soon when there is more heat available :)

Wish you all the best with your cuttings mate

Appreciate the help mate 

1 person likes this