Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


Boojum

Does Doing Good Things Negate The Bad Things You've Done ?

41 posts in this topic

Mentioned this in another thread, but I was genuinely asking a question, not making a judgement.

 

I've done some bad things, things that I'm ashamed of. I've also done some good things. Do the good things I've done outweigh the bad things I've done :unsure: Does it work like that ?

 

Can you balance the bad things you've done against the good things you've done and come out on top - done more good things than bad things. Or does it not work like that, if you've done nasty stuff out of pure malice can you ever make it OK by doing nice stuff and realising that you were being horrible ? :unsure: Does the very fact that you've done something with pure malice of intent mean that you can't take it back, no matter how much you regret it ? :unsure: Can you try to be a better person when you've been a horrible person, does tying to a better person make up for the nasty shit you did ? :unsure:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Nope you are going to hell:dev:

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Bollocks to that. When I die I will cease to exist as a conscious entity and my body will become a piece of rotting meat. I don't care what happens when I die, I'll be dead, I will no longer exist. I'm talking about while I'm still alive. Fuck that bullshit afterlife bollocks, I'm not talking about that nonsense. I'm talking about if I do shit when I'm alive, and how I that affects me as a person, can I make up for doing bad shit by doing good shit - in the real world, not going to heaven or hell bullshit, just living with yourself, regarding yourself as a 'good' or a 'bad' person. If I do a few little bad things can I make up for it by being mostly good, if I do a REALLY bad thing then can I make up for it by spending the rest of my life doing good ? If I never do anything really bad does that allow me to get away with doing a lot of little bad things  ? :unsure: What's 'good' or 'bad', I'm a selfish drunk, but I never hurt anyone, does that make me 'good' or 'bad' ? :unsure: What is 'good' or 'bad' ? - hurting people is bad, that's about as far as I understand things lol

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry, Saturday is cider day :rolleyes:

 

Talking utter arse :doh:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Boojum said:

Sorry, Saturday is cider day :rolleyes:

 

Talking utter arse :doh:

You say you never hurt anyone  I take it you mean physically?  what about mentally/emotionally?

Share this post


Link to post

Whats's that saying, 2 rights don't make a wrong :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Jimboo said:

You say you never hurt anyone  I take it you mean physically?  what about mentally/emotionally?

 

 

I don't think I've ever done that either man. Seriously, I'm a hermit, I've been hurt (mentally and emotionally) so much that I don't have anything to do with people, I keep myself to myself. I've got issues lol My mum fucking off when I was a kid kinda broke me and I've never hurt anyone, physically, emotionally or mentally since.

 

E2A Cos I've never allowed myself to become close enough to hurt anyone (and not allow them to hurt me...)

Edited by Boojum

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry, that's shit.

 

 

Boo hoo, poor me...

 

:rolleyes:

 

:wanker:

Edited by Boojum

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Boojum said:

Mentioned this in another thread, but I was genuinely asking a question, not making a judgement.

 

I've done some bad things, things that I'm ashamed of. I've also done some good things. Do the good things I've done outweigh the bad things I've done :unsure: Does it work like that ?

 

Can you balance the bad things you've done against the good things you've done and come out on top - done more good things than bad things. Or does it not work like that, if you've done nasty stuff out of pure malice can you ever make it OK by doing nice stuff and realising that you were being horrible ? :unsure: Does the very fact that you've done something with pure malice of intent mean that you can't take it back, no matter how much you regret it ? :unsure: Can you try to be a better person when you've been a horrible person, does tying to a better person make up for the nasty shit you did ? :unsure:

 

It's your reality tunnel Boojum, do with it as you wish.  If you have previously been living a mostly self-serving reality tunnel, you can switch to selfless instead.  I don't think it's a very good idea to carry karmic baggage through life.  If you have messed up (and who hasn't) simply forgive yourself, and delete that part of your consciousness.  Or similarly, if you have been keeping a mental list of all the people that have fucked you over (like the Dwarven book of grudges), simply forgive them all, and delete that part of your consciousness.  You don't need those parts, once you've dealt with it.  Carrying any of this around in your life is imo a bad choice, but one that is very common for people to do.

14 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

I ain't Jewish or particularly religious or spiritual but for me the concept of Gilgulim reconciles the most with what I think I believe from some psychedelic and sleep time experiences. Doing good things is good but you must atone for each and every bad thing you do. Sorry bro:cowboy: 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, WalterBishop said:

 

It's your reality tunnel Boojum, do with it as you wish.  If you have previously been living a mostly self-serving reality tunnel, you can switch to selfless instead.  I don't think it's a very good idea to carry karmic baggage through life.  If you have messed up (and who hasn't) simply forgive yourself, and delete that part of your consciousness.  Or similarly, if you have been keeping a mental list of all the people that have fucked you over (like the Dwarven book of grudges), simply forgive them all, and delete that part of your consciousness.  You don't need those parts, once you've dealt with it.  Carrying any of this around in your life is imo a bad choice, but one that is very common for people to do.

 

 

:yep:

 

Spot on man. I did some bad shit way back when, but I'm a different person now. The person who did those bad things isn't me and I wouldn't do them now. I'm a different person now :)

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

I struggle with this a lot too. I've done some things that keep me up at night, never hurt anyone physically but I've definitely hurt them emotionally through my actions and things I have said to them. I've also stole from friends and family during desperate times. It gets worse too. I was not a good person in the past that's for sure.

 

I do good things now but I wont list them. It doesn't feel like it's enough though.

 

I don't know what I really believe, but I at the moment I don't feel like any amount of doing good can ever out weigh the bad.

 

You can't remove pain you've caused, you can never fully regain someone trust once you have lost it, you can't make someone love you when you have made them stop loving you. Yes you can contribute towards making things better (I think "different" is more appropriate) for the future, but the past is done and it can not be altered in the present. You can save a live today but if you killed someone yesterday they are still dead.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I suppose the only person who can answer that is yourself? I got one thing that I done that I really regret. If I could tell them how sorry I am, to me it wouldn't be enough. I don't wake up and think about it every day, i would be lying if I said that. Just every so often something will remind me of it. Guess its what some people mean when they say "they live with it every day". Have gone to post something about it before on here when drunk but what good will some strangers offering words actually do. Doesn't change what happened. I guess it does prove that people can change, to a degree. if only we could buy a time machine and go back in time hey.

I wouldn't worry about it or look for others approval or opinions. Just learn to live with it and try not to make the same mistakes. Sounds a bit cliche and bit of a cop out, even you bringing this topic up has made me think of it lol . Regret is a horrible thing, well itself is not, but living with it can be. 

Share this post


Link to post

Only thing that matters is liking yourself, inside. Do what makes that happen and life will be good bro. 

 

Good luck booj, everyday you're here is another successful mission 

:bong:

Obie 

Edited by Oldbear
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, An0m said:

I struggle with this a lot too. I've done some things that keep me up at night, never hurt anyone physically but I've definitely hurt them emotionally through my actions and things I have said to them. I've also stole from friends and family during desperate times. It gets worse too. I was not a good person in the past that's for sure.

 

I do good things now but I wont list them. It doesn't feel like it's enough though.

 

I don't know what I really believe, but I at the moment I don't feel like any amount of doing good can ever out weigh the bad.

 

You can't remove pain you've caused, you can never fully regain someone trust once you have lost it, you can't make someone love you when you have made them stop loving you. Yes you can contribute towards making things better (I think "different" is more appropriate) for the future, but the past is done and it can not be altered in the present. You can save a live today but if you killed someone yesterday they are still dead.

 

 

 

Spot on man. I stole from my mum's handbag when my parents spit up and I went to live with my mum. When my mum fucked off and I went to live with my dad I stole from him. I stole money to buy booze. That was shit, and I can't ever take that back.

 

But I'm not a bad person, I wouldn't steal off anyone else, just the fuckers that I felt messed my head up lol

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now