Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

YOREEL

Germination nightmare got to laugh!!!

41 posts in this topic

I thought it would be quite easy trying to germinate and get them going. My issue was I never used soil, just rapid rooters. 

Environment was the issue also as it was always 27ºc + in the room over the past month. The rooters would dry out quickly.

Now they've been removed from the tent and put under a small T5 for a week or two until the others get up to speed and then be added to LED tent.

I had three G13 Maltezerz going in rapid rooters for 14 days. All was going well until I decided to pot up into 4 inch rock wool cubes. Going from the rapid rooters to rock wool was an issue. The roots weren't strong enough and were damaged by the heat. So for the next 2 weeks there was no growth and they became stunted. The roots could not penetrate the rock wool and every time I watered (<10ml) they would show signs of being over watered, then under watered (due to the rock wool being wet and the roots not penetrating. Anyways I lost them due to this. Leaves went crispy and could not recover. 

I'm learning a lot but it's frustrating as hell coming back from work to see no progress or there's issues. I'm now in the middle of changing my environment - moving the tent to the corner of the room away from the water pipes and hopefully the temps will drop and stabilise.

I've now put the remaining 4 week old "seedling" into a solo cup with bio biz light and she's loving life now.

I thought the transition from rapid rooters to rock wool for hydro would be simple but it wasn't as straight forward as i thought.

I'll ensure I get clones from this one as she's seems pretty strong grower despite the issues I've had with the others.

Going to go with soil for 3 and 2 in a Oxypot XL. I'll see how it goes.

It's been a massive learning curve and expensive too! :)

The seed husk should be allowed to fall off on its own once it has finished feeding the seedling.

sometimes they stick. Rarely do I remove them unless I'm determined I need that plant, then I take my chances and gently remove it and hope it lives.

1inch is also too deep. 1cm is fine. sorry @ratdog just my opinion

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Kipper420 said:

1inch is also too deep. 1cm is fine. sorry @ratdog just my opinion

:huh:

I think you have me confused with the new Islamophobe mate lol

4 people like this

Do what? What does this mean? @ratdog  

2 minutes ago, Kipper420 said:

Do what? What does this mean? @ratdog  

Well, my first post in this thread is responding to you mate, you seem to have me confused with someone recommending putting the seed 1 inch deep? I did not say that and never have mate, 5mm is the depth I do them.

Afaic Old beetroot head is either a troll or a racist.

3 people like this

Here's my most common method

soak in tepid water 24-36hrs (shot glass) until they sink

wet paper towel until the tap root is over 1cm or there abouts.

pencil tip to make a 1cm hole poke the seed in the moist medium root first.

lightly make sure the compost is in contact with the seed and root.

put it in the propergator in the dark until it breaks ground then expose to the light still in the propergator.

slowly over the next few days introduce more air to the plant.

open the prop vents until I remove the cover all together.

water with a mister around the edges of the pot when it's getting dry. Trying to avoid damping off.

introduce lights in my case a 150w led cob for seedlings and a couple of led battens until they're ready to face the big outdoors.

good luck.

Ill call up @Hopsarecannabistoo and @Happyeccentric who once had some similar germ issues maybe they have some advice too.

1 minute ago, Kipper420 said:

I beg your pardon.

No worries mate, just confused the shit outta me, I was reading and rereading the thread convinced I must have made a post I forgot about lol

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Kipper420 said:

Here's my most common method

soak in tepid water 24-36hrs (shot glass) until they sink

wet paper towel until the tap root is over 1cm or there abouts.

pencil tip to make a 1cm hole poke the seed in the moist medium root first.

lightly make sure the compost is in contact with the seed and root.

put it in the propergator in the dark until it breaks ground then expose to the light still in the propergator.

slowly over the next few days introduce more air to the plant.

open the prop vents until I remove the cover all together.

water with a mister around the edges of the pot when it's getting dry. Trying to avoid damping off.

introduce lights in my case a 150w led cob for seedlings and a couple of led battens until they're ready to face the big outdoors.

good luck.

Ill call up @Hopsarecannabistoo and @Happyeccentric who once had some similar germ issues maybe they have some advice too.

I think I disagree with just about all of this, there is no need to soak your seeds or for paper towel, you don,t need a propagator with seeds and you also don't need darkness  and there is no need too slowly introduce air, that's only for cuttings and you should be starting a wet-dry cycle from the very beginning  IMO but each to their own :wassnnme:

Plant your seeds a half-inch deep in the pre watered medium of your choice and stick them under a light, job done, no need for any fannying about :yep:

11 people like this

10 minutes ago, bill cooper said:

I think I disagree with just about all of this, there is no need to soak your seeds or for paper towel, you don,t need a propagator with seeds and you also don't need darkness  and there is no need too slowly introduce air, that's only for cuttings and you should be starting a wet-dry cycle from the very beginning  IMO but each to their own :wassnnme:

Plant your seeds a half-inch deep in the pre watered medium of your choice and stick them under a light, job done, no need for any fannying about :yep:

Yep, I used to do that type of stuff but I just stick em 1cm down in pre-wetted compost now and have just as good if not better germ rates. I stick a plastic bag over the pots to stop the compost drying too.

2 people like this

I don't have the compost soaking wet, I let the pots suck up water from beneath and stop them before the compost gets soaking wet.

1 person likes this

Soil in a little pot, place in a saucer/tray of water so water is soaked up. Leave soak until surface of soil or just beneath surface is wet but not sodden.

Tip of little finger make small “hole” on surface of soil (maximum half an inch). Place seed in hole. Place soil on top until seed is hidden, spray soil  with spray bottle or very gently water area  that had seed until visibly moist.

place in propagator or not, doesn’t seem to matter at this stage. Wait. Seeds usually break the soil after a few days, 10 days max. If not in propagator place in now and spray lid. Leave, preferably under a T5  or CFL until need watering, a week or more depending on ambient temps. A window sill will do but they might stretch for the light.

pot up when ready i.e. when roots appear at holes of pot.

I’ve never had germination issues. I was told that soaking seeds was only necessary when they were old and pale and you weren’t sure they’d actually germ.

Edited by Cursed
3 people like this

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

Well, my first post in this thread is responding to you mate, you seem to have me confused with someone recommending putting the seed 1 inch deep? I did not say that and never have mate, 5mm is the depth I do them.

Afaic Old beetroot head is either a troll or a racist.

@ratdog

I'm neither.

I use what I've learnt to formulate my own opinions as I'm sure others do. I have throughout my life been in situations many have not and learnt from them.

For you to judge my view based on a few posts, calling me racist is a bit of a cunty move.

Edited by Dai beetroot

13 minutes ago, Dai beetroot said:

calling me racist is a bit of a cunty move.

So you are a troll then lol

Rivers of blood ffs lol

If you put a seed in a 1.5mm x 1.5mm rockwool cube, and soak the cubes in tap water.

your seeds will grow at 90%+

the other way is what cursed said

the rest of this is silly talk, and it doesnt surprise me that a fabian is here to call people racist lol