Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mystic_roots

Extractor fan, does it need to be constant?

27 posts in this topic

I’ve recently relocated my grow tent from the shed to a spare bedroom in a bid to get the grow temps up and minimising the use of an oil radiator which is costing a fair bit!

Only issue is my bedroom is right next to it and the noise of the air being extracted is a little loud. I’ve seen you can get insulated ducting but I don’t think that’ll silence the air noise. Do you think I’d be able to turn the extractor off at night and have it running in the day, or will that screw up my temperatures and RH?

if that’s not an option can anyone recommend another way I could quieten it down? It’s not so much the fan unit itself that I can hear just the noise of the flowing air. 

I’d be looking at other ways.

You could get a fan controller, or just try going up a ducting size if it’s just the air sound.

Personally I think it is the stench that should concern you, not the RH, if you turn off your fans. The air needs constant scrubbing. Well that's my thoughts anyway. Good luck with it Mystic. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Sadly afraid it does need to be constant. I'm a great believer in permanent good circulation / movement within tent not only promotes plant growth but reduces / inhibits many potential problems and assists plants dealing with less than ideal humidity / temperatures. Your OX turbo extractor kit, can you post pictures of new set up including position fan / ducting / tent and how extracted air dealt with. Generally speaking if the air draw isn't too much for diameter ducting to handle (no whoosing air sound) then really it's all down to fan noise. Distinct advantage using oversized extraction is never run at more than 50% capacity, duct diameter deals easily with demands air with little noise generation. Consider before buying insulated ducting cut up an old duvet / wrap duct up to see if any discernible noise reduction is achieved prior to any purchase. Also inline duct mufflers/silencers fitted adjacent to extraction fan which supposed to help, not too expensive either :) 

Edited by Poisonata
2 people like this

1 hour ago, mystic_roots said:

noise of the flowing air. 

The main reason you need extraction on 24/7 is to remove stale air and replace with fresh, being able to use it to control the smell is a welcome by-product.

An in-line silencer will reduce the noise through your ducting...these can be bought or made...DIY only costs pennies and is dead easy.

Let me know if you want the build for one...:yep:

3 people like this

@mystic_roots If you turn the extraction off the RH will rapidy rise to unheathy levels and the plants would suffer all sorts of problems, not to mention mold issues. A good air exchange is constantly required for heathy plants. The most important thing is the stink, you, the neighbours and local thieves would not sleep either.

If whooshing air noise is the problem i'd look into a silencer if the following steps have been took, i cannot see that being the probem though if the grow is in the next room? Mine is also in an adjacent room and its hard to hear even inside the room, outside the room its silent, the fan is not run at 100% though and controlled via Variac. Use as less ducting as you can and try and have as less bends as possible, make sure its also acoustic ducting.

All the best.

I think perhaps then a speed controller is in order to reduce it running at 100% all the time. The wall isn't really brick its more plasterboard so i can hear it through that.

Might be worth looking at a silencer @stu914, could perhaps use it with the speed controller too.

Does acoustic ducting really make a huge difference @Amnesia? The ducting that came with it is just that flimsy standard ducting, no fabric or foam.

I use all three, controller, silencer and acoustic ducting...pretty much silent running...

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, stu914 said:

I use all three, controller, silencer and acoustic ducting...pretty much silent running...

You have any info on the build for a silencer? Or any further details on the speed controller you use?

I'd rather try the cheaper options before spending more money :unsure:

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, mystic_roots said:

I think perhaps then a speed controller is in order to reduce it running at 100% all the time.

A speed controller saved my life mate lol I use a temp/speed controller, lights on during the day, speed 20% through the night :sleep1:      

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, ratdog said:

A speed controller saved my life mate lol I use a temp/speed controller, lights on during the day, speed 20% through the night :sleep1:      

I've seen those, they're like £50+, well at least the one's i've seen lol If it becomes a big problem after trying the silencer i may have to buy one, I guess what I've saved in electricity keeping it warm in the shed must count for something!

Edited by mystic_roots

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, mystic_roots said:

I think perhaps then a speed controller is in order to reduce it running at 100% all the time. The wall isn't really brick its more plasterboard so i can hear it through that.

You forgot to mention that it was permanently running on 100% in O/P, no wonder it's noisy :huh: Likely drawing far more air from the tent than is required. Better off buying a fan with inbuilt speed controller, they are about £40 on A****n. I use one on my intake, here it is

large.Intake.jpg

Speed control knob is unit next to plug not plugged in / built into the electrical flex. Up to about 75% maximum sleep quite happily in same room as it :) 

Edited by Poisonata

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Poisonata said:

You forgot to mention that it was permanently running on 100% in O/P, no wonder it's noisy :huh: Likely drawing far more air from the tent than is required. Better off buying a fan with inbuilt speed controller, they are about £40 on A****n. I use one on my intake, here it is

large.Intake.jpg

Speed control knob is unit next to plug not plugged in / built into the electrical flex. Up to about 75% maximum sleep quite happily in same room as it :) 

My bad @Poisonata lol the fan has two speeds on a switch, but yeah it’ll be full on speed. Can get a cheap speed controller for like £10 so I think I’ll be giving that a go and maybe sort out a silencer too. You live and learn though eh!

Edited by mystic_roots

Just be careful of those fan speed controllers if it looks anything like this type:

large.Capture.JPG

Several members here including the illustrious @JJJ have had very poor experiences with these. Please be careful :unsure:

42 minutes ago, Poisonata said:

Just be careful of those fan speed controllers if it looks anything like this type:

large.Capture.JPG

Several members here including the illustrious @JJJ have had very poor experiences with these. Please be careful :unsure:

Balls, that’s the type I’ve seen lol

Didn’t know others have had issues. Might have to spend a little extra and get a well known one.