Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

YOREEL

New to DWC - suggestions please

58 posts in this topic

Afternoon all!

After a bit of research I'm acquiring all the gear for my first grow.

The space I have is a 1.2m by 1.2m x 2.2m grow tent.

I was planning to do my first grow in batmix but decided I'd rather go the hydro path.

I'm now looking at the following:

1 x Oxypot V6 6 Pot System - Needs pumps etc.

6 X Bubbler, Oxy Pot, DWC System 20L 20 Litre Inc Clay Pebbles & Air Pump Kit or 20L Urban Arctic Freeze Bubble Pot DWC Oxy Bubbler Alien Ice Line Hydroponics

I may go with 4 pots instead of 6 due to the space.

Can anyone suggest if this is fit for purpose for my setup?

I was going to use rockwool to germ but would like advice on how others do it.

Temps are higish in my tent and it's practically empty. 24-30°C day time and 23-28°C night time - I'll need to bring that down - but will see what the temps are when the tent has kit in it. 

Thanks in advance!

I would definitely only go four pots in that space. You're gonna need to add a chiller especially this time of year otherwise the water temps will rise and you'll get root Rot. I just used to germ mine in root riot cubes lot less messing about then rockwool. Hope this helps mate and good luck :bong:

I would definitely only go four pots in that space. You're gonna need to add a chiller especially this time of year otherwise the water temps will rise and you'll get root Rot. I just used to germ mine in root riot cubes lot less messing about then rockwool. Hope this helps mate and good luck :bong:

I have 2 of those arctic freeze in 20l and 2 in 30l they arnt bad at all. Mine are the cheaper black version tho only difference is the colour as far as I can tell.

I use root riots instead of rockwool £7 for a tray of 24. 100% germination upto now. And when they going into the dwc the root riots handle it well not lost 1 yet and they go in at like 1day old with me.

4 of the 20l would fit in with plenty of growing space but dwc plants grow fast so you could do less if you wanted or more and reduce veg time. 2 20litres in my 1.2 tent atm 

@ukbudz So with the single pots in mind I'd have to buy a chiller and have a larger water storage container to chill in and when ready I can add nutes and add them to the individual buckets?? Root riot purchased. Looking at chillers and I'm going with a ice pack due to the cost!!! :)

Looking at HAILEA HC-100A NUTRIENT CHILLER. Would I need to buy a separate reservoir for the water to be stored?

@michaeldbc I'll go with the 30L - I'll purchase 4 and go from there :) How loud is the pump as that's my concern? I've seen 'silent pumps' and not sure if there's much of a difference when the fans etc are on.

I was looking at this at half the price once of all 4 stealth pots

ebay item  252364192981

1 person likes this

Not exactly silent there's a little bit of a hum I put a piece of foam under it never bothered me since.

Ukbudz is right about the chiller but I won't lie to you I don't use 1. 3 grows without a problem so far I don't have the pump in the tent it's outside where it's cooler in the hopes that the cooler air from the pump will at least help but it's bioscience no idea if it's helping lol. 

My temps in the buckets tend to hang around 19-20° I think the ideal temp would be lower tho. The arctic version might help a little with that aswell mine are black so they're gonna soak up more heat than the arctic.

9 minutes ago, YOREEL said:

I was looking at this at half the price once of all 4 stealth pots

ebay item  252364192981

Looks sweet enough mate I'd use them.. is there something to cover up that hole on lid? If not nothing a beer mat won't fix lol

Light isn't good for the roots 

ignore that above post...I'm chatting rubbish! :) It's more for the 30l obviously :)

The issue is in the room that the tent is in, the hot water pipes run under the floorboards so when the boiler kicks in the pipes get hotter and hence the temps rise in that room. It didn't help that the weather has been nice recently so that's why i was thinking of getting a chiller as in the winter it'll still be warm down by the floorboards. 

I want to move it somewhere else but unless i move into the sweat box myself I have nowhere.

Windows are all open for airflow. Temps are 23>26 today. I have a 8 inch extractor and 6 inch intake and a fan. I will add another fan blowing on the buckets to hopefully reduce those temps.

What nutes do you guy's go for? Would you use Biobizz hydro?

Ideal res temp is 20c or a degree either side, above 22c and you risk root rot, below 18c and the plants hibernate, get waterlogged and usually drown.

If left for a period the res will settle at whatever the room temp is, you'll probably need a res heater for winter, chiller for summer as already mentioned.

Make sure your plants have a good root system before they go in the dwc and have plenty of air bubbles running through the nutes, the more the better.

I use Sensi nutes, A+B Grow and A+B Flower with Buddha's Tree PK during flower, nothing else...these need no ph adjustment and work really well in dwc.

Good Luck

Stu  :oldtoker:

1 person likes this

I use sensi grow and bloom aswell but big bud and overdrive for pk boosters probably gonna leave them out on next grow though just use sensi a/b. 

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Ideal res temp is 20c or a degree either side, above 22c and you risk root rot, below 18c and the plants hibernate, get waterlogged and usually drown.

If left for a period the res will settle at whatever the room temp is, you'll probably need a res heater for winter, chiller for summer as already mentioned.

Make sure your plants have a good root system before they go in the dwc and have plenty of air bubbles running through the nutes, the more the better.

I use Sensi nutes, A+B Grow and A+B Flower with Buddha's Tree PK during flower, nothing else...these need no ph adjustment and work really well in dwc.

Good Luck

Stu  :oldtoker:

It's a bit crap that I've just gone and purchased the 4 pots above!! I was about to buy the chiller and then thought...I'll be buying a chiller to chill the water in the reservoir rather than constantly maintaining the temps in the buckets - I'll have to somehow look into DIYing them or trying to cancel the order now

1 person likes this

Seller managed to let me cancel the order ....happy days!

After searching on fleabay I went for a refurbished 

Alien XL 30L 8pot Pro RDWC With Chiller (Boyu350 - 600ltr) and water tank for £430 all in - a lot cheaper than others.

Obviously only going to use 4 pots and may sell the other 4 pots to recoup.

So far getting gear for my first grow has been expensive lol....initially thinking i'll buy an LED from amazon and do a cupboard grow to splashing a fortune on bits and bobs!

I hope it's worth it! :)

1 person likes this

It's worth it :hippy:

Posted (edited)

was looking at the same listing well worth it for what you get but now you need a new tent lol 2x1x2 

its got an overspec charles austin airpump too if i remember right :yep:

Edited by doobie01