Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Idealbatch

Too cold lights on!

Hi guys, so I’m having a problem I never expected to run into in summer growing in an attic! My lights on in the night temps are too low!

so I have a 1mx1mx1.6 flower tent with 600w hps, 6” oversized fan and carbon filter with a jdc-1000 fan controller. I have a little pipe heater in there which is running pretty much constant. 

I figured I’d run lights on in nighttime 6pm-6am whilst it’s cool to allow for high temps but my problem is.. it’s dropping to like 17/18 in the coldest part of the night, and my lights of daytime temps are as high as like 26/7. But if I swapped and had lights on in the daytime I’d imagine it would be hard to manage all that heat? 

I pay electric so trying to work out cheapest most affective way to utilise the natural heat. Tbh I’m sure the fan would be able to keep on top if I have lights on in daytime? And I can’t really just whack a rad in there because I’d have to somehow find a way to have it on a controller because it would be one extreme to the other and It would be too Hot around light switchover times! 

Im pulling fresh cold air in through a passive 6” intake and another 4”passive intake from my bathroom bellow to try get a little hotter air going in and that 4” actually goes through my little veg tent with a couple mother’s/cuts! 

Any help is is much appreciated! I’m sure whatever I do to adjust it will take some trial and error! Thanks in advance!

Can you route your intake to bring warmer air in from the house instead?

Those temps shouldn't cause too much of an issue as long as your roots are warm.  I'd be tempted to get some heat mats under the pots for the nights.

Either reduce your extraction or add another light.

your call

5 people like this

Could you direct your intake toward your bulb perhaps? I'm not sure this is an approved method but I've been doing it the last few runs to try and maintain the temps. I have a very similar setup to you. Earlier this year I'd have the tube heater running 24/7 and I found that pointing the intake at the shade rather than the tube heater increased my temps whilst the light was on.

1 person likes this

If you swapped to lights on during the day think of how cold it would be up there during the night. You’d need a log burner going for 12 hours.  Keep as you are and use one or some of the suggestions already given. All the best :smokin:

Add a light, two birds, one stone, and very efficient as the energy is put into two things you need, heat and light, whereas heat is usually the cost of inefficiency and needing to be rejected somewhere.

Oil filled rad, 1500w

HID Lamp, 600w

I know what I’d do.

1 person likes this

Thank you all very much for your replies!! Going to Amsterdam after 4 days at work I’m gonna deffo have a play around with my intake and try drag warmer air in from somewhere and aim it at my shade, probably will toy with adding another light as I wanted to get a 400w metal halide for veg but I could just have hps and mh running both together, like some guys above said I’ll get more benefits adding.a lamp than adding a heater! Thanks guys