Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
B-real

Cloning cuts in water

Hi so I was pruning my plants thought I'd try and clone them. 

I have stripped all side leave and left the top leaves on stripped stem dipped into rooting powder and put in a container of water.

Will this work do I need to put under a light .

I put quite a large cutting in water a couple of weeks ago but with no rooting hormone, as read its good for the cutting to heal a little before adding hormones and putting in soil.

It was quite happy for at least 10days in a dark space as i forgot about it, the leaves didn't wilt at all. There were no roots, and a week ago i put it in soil with a bag over it on a heated prop, fingers crossed.

It would be worth getting the humidity up some how but should be ok without much light.

1 minute ago, BeardedBeardiae said:

I put quite a large cutting in water a couple of weeks ago but with no rooting hormone, as read its good for the cutting to heal a little before adding hormones and putting in soil.

It was quite happy for at least 10days in a dark space as i forgot about it, the leaves didn't wilt at all. There were no roots, and a week ago i put it in soil with a bag over it on a heated prop, fingers crossed.

It would be worth getting the humidity up some how but should be ok without much light.

I put it in my shed which gets warm lol maybee I need a re-think thanks beardie gd luck mate with yours 2

1 person likes this

Just put it in a small pot of moist coco or compost, put a freezer bag over it and blow the bag up and seal it shut and check it in a few days.

Toke...

3 people like this

Roots need oxygen, the cup of water on a window seal can work but as toke as said some well moistened medium and an air tight container will help a bundle.

3 people like this

not to hijack the thread but ive tried all sorts of ways to clone(jiffy/rockwool/aeroponic) and never had much success

@GreenVision  @tokenroll u guys suggest just maybe a pot of damp coco ?

ive got myself a proper propagator and was thinking of what u had suggested. is there any dos and donts? ie not too deep ect ok just to put small pots/clone in a prop?

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I always use a 50/50 mix of soil and perlite in a 500 ml plastic cup with holes in the bottom obviously .  A bit of clonex and a plastic sandwich bag on top secured with a elastic band , Inflate the bag with a straw  to creat a dome. It usually takes  7 -10 days to root but every 2-3 days check on them  as they can mold up if left too long .  . 

Water cloning is possible but not guaranteed in my experience. 10 days ago when I was cloning , I had two extra cuts of Smile leftover and put them in an empty yogurt pot  with an inch of water . They have roots now. I had this happen before with bubblegum cuts also. It's not something I'd recommend if you are relying on your cuts to root mind. 

Just keep the area the clones are in  warm but not too hot . I don't put them directly under the T5 , I keep them to the side. 

Al

Edited by Al Swearengen
3 people like this

@Al Swearengen obv a piece of string question lol but how much water to u water your soil/perlite mix before putting the cuts in?

i see alot saying no to wet but not to dry lol

2 people like this

2 hours ago, greenvigilante said:

not to hijack the thread but ive tried all sorts of ways to clone(jiffy/rockwool/aeroponic) and never had much success

@GreenVision  @tokenroll u guys suggest just maybe a pot of damp coco ?

ive got myself a proper propagator and was thinking of what u had suggested. is there any dos and donts? ie not too deep ect ok just to put small pots/clone in a prop?

I use an Aeroponic Propagator these days mate. But before that I was classic clonex into damp rock wool cubes then seal into a normal propagator for 2 weeks before checking.

Its a fickle thing but patience is the upmost. Just let them do they're thing under 20 hours of light.

But my aero prop gives me full on roots with about 90% success rate in 2 weeks so I only use this now.

5 people like this

Hi GV, so I fill my 500 ml cups (coloured cups not clear) with the 50/50 compost perlite mix . I than use a pump sprayer to spray the cups until water comes out the bottom. I leave my cups sitting in the runoff for a minimum of 2 hours. Remove from run off and than push down on the compost/perlite so any excess water comes out the bottom of the cup. I use a chop stick to create a hole in the compost/perlite to place my cut. Bag over the top secured with an elastic band. Put a straw up under the bag and elastic band and give it a blow to creat a dome over the cup. Any excess water will come out the bottom of the cup as you inflate the dome .

Good luck 

Al  :yinyang:

3 people like this

cuts will root without adding anything to them in plain water if left alone but they won’t be the best they can be, far from it.

it also depends on what your going to be putting them in after if you should do it this way, hydro fine, compost not so..

i rooted a cut in 8 days with coconut water in a sponge thing the other day. aloe vera is also great for doing cuts, but if you haven’t got an aerocloner stick them in ‘somthing’ for ease after..

11 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

I use an Aeroponic Propagator these days mate. But before that I was classic clonex into damp rock wool cubes then seal into a normal propagator for 2 weeks before checking.

Its a fickle thing but patience is the upmost. Just let them do they're thing under 20 hours of light.

But my aero prop gives me full on roots with about 90% success rate in 2 weeks so I only use this now.

when i tried aero the water got hot :/ didnt get any lmfao

having a mare mate and each grow that goes by i know i just lost some banging plants

1 person likes this

@GreenVision do you grow in soil? I notice when was using aeroponic i was losing a few when potting up I'm not sure if soil was to moist or to dry but couldn't get it right although would only be the odd one or two out of ten was just annoying considering had decent root system.. I did like it tho so easy/less messy compared to the usaul way

After my pump gave up I ended up going back to just sniping and potting no hormone no spraying unless really needed put in propgater or sandwich bag over I don't even seal the bag just let it sit over plant but that tent has high humidity anyway under t5 a crowded t5...get 80/90 sometimes 100%  survival rate:yinyang:

1 person likes this

If you want to root in water only.  As per the the thread title, use a simple aquarium pump and air stone in the water.  Tiny. Tiny drop of formulex.  Shallow water is better.  Support/suspend the stem.  Foam with slits is good.  Darkness for stem bottom/roots.  Cool moderate light.  Stable temps on the higher end.  26c is good for me.  But sometimes increase to 30c.