Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

InTheSystem

Fastbuds Terrace Challenge

41 posts in this topic
Just now, JJJ said:

Ha Ha, yes, very fast indeed.  Flowering started at around 3 weeks, stretched for another two and nice purple buds were forming nicely from the 5th week.  Might take slightly longer outdoors though.  Chopped at exactly 10 weeks.

medium.5c3cf508335fb_HarvestDayD.JPG.850a25dcd3063e3fe1930db638b92ccf.JPG

Nice, so yer around the same then :)

That is a nice plant mate, did you do a diary of it?

1 person likes this

Here you go mate.

The grow was wrought with problems and was grown in a pot which was waaaay too big but it yielded well in the end.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, JJJ said:

Here you go mate.

The grow was wrought with problems and was grown in a pot which was waaaay too big but it yielded well in the end.

Wicked mate, will have a read through that later on.. Many thanks for your posts and info on Blackberry mate, much appreciated :)

1 person likes this

Just now, InTheSystem said:

Wicked mate, will have a read through that later on.. Many thanks for your posts and info on Blackberry mate, much appreciated :)

You're most welcome. But please don't follow this example.  It was more of an experiment - using a living soil for the first time, and I don't know what I was thinking with the watering technique - totally messed things up.  Growing autos in much smaller pots now. :thumsup:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

You're most welcome. But please don't follow this example.  It was more of an experiment - using a living soil for the first time, and I don't know what I was thinking with the watering technique - totally messed things up.  Growing autos in much smaller pots now. :thumsup:

Well considering the struggle and errors it looks like you pulled a respectable plant off mate. I am a noob really with autos still to be honest. The aim of this diary/thread is to hopefully have some more experienced eyes cast over and maybe give some tips too if I am lucky!

I am sure there is something i will pick up from your diary about autos and Blackberry, so again - thanks for sharing. Looking forward to reading through.

Edited by InTheSystem
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Day 22 from seed

On balanced tap water with a little added silicon from GroTek. Being fed every 4 days next feed on monday I will add some nutrients for the first time I think (fish mix and bloom from biobizz).

Stardawg:

large.DSC02115.JPG

Blackberry:

large.DSC02117.JPG

Pineapple Express:

large.DSC02118.JPG

Will update again next week when things start to get more interesting ;)

Edited by InTheSystem
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Looking great mate. Do you rate the silicon... makes a big difference? Also when did you introduce it?

Have got a balcony grow on myself although concerned about the smell.

Edited by furious fred
spelling
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, furious fred said:

Looking great mate. Do you rate the silicon... makes a big difference? Also when did you introduce it?

Have got a balcony grow on myself although concerned about the smell.

Thanks mate! Yes I rate silicon - it is beneficial to toughen the plant up against various issues such as mold, mildew and in my case heat issues.. The roots and stems of the plant like it and in flowering it is beneficial as the cell growth/elongation is increased. It will drift your PH up quite a bit so make sure you have some PH Down to hand to bring it back down... I introduced it at around 2 weeks at 0.5ml per litre :) 

I also plant some Parsley, Thyme, Basil, Rosemary, Coriander and Marigold flowers on the terrace.. Blends the smell right in and can cook with the erbs of course lol 

Edited by InTheSystem

Posted (edited)

Nice one bro. Not sure if I can be arsed if I have to start dicking about with the PH... keeping it simple to begin with. Going to plant a fuck load of rosemary!

Just started a grow diary. Check it out...

Edited by furious fred
Forgot something.
2 people like this

2 minutes ago, furious fred said:

Nice one bro. Not sure if I can be arsed if I have to start dicking about with the PH... keeping it simple to begin with. Going to plant a fuck load of rosemary!

Just started a grow diary. Check it out...

Nice one mate, will have a butchers ;)

1 person likes this

There coming along nicely for you. 

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, CannibaERB said:

There coming along nicely for you. 

Cheers for dropping in mate - Yes they are settled and just taking off now! They had some pretty aggressive growth the last couple of days actually... I will probably update again mid week as a result.

2 people like this

On 28/05/2019 at 0:19 AM, JJJ said:

What are the probs with pots that are too big. I'm going to transplant some autos in my balcony grow to 20l pots. Now I have them they look massive. 

What do you reckon the optimum size is and would you rate fabric pots over plastic?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@furious fred

Hi mate,

Because of the speed that autos complete their growth phase, the root system will always be smaller than that of a regular strain, and due to their fragility and the fact that it's best not to disturb the roots by repeated transplanting, we tend to get them into their final pots sooner than later.

Unfortunately, this means that we'll never get the optimum root development which can be achieved by potting up in stages.

With a large pot there will be unoccupied areas within the pot which when wet will stay wet for longer than recommended.  This can result in a multitude of issues from overwatering to root rot.

I think some super autos (big ones) can handle slightly larger pots but only because their growth phase is a bit longer.

Ideally, you want the pot to be rooted out properly so you achieve a proper wet/dry cycle and within a shorter time.  This will also allow you to feed the plants more regularly and deal with deficiencies more promptly.

You'll also save on water, nutrients and your chosen medium, plants can be lifted and moved around better too.

Most growers seem to be using anything between 11L and 6L and tend to get on best with these sizes.  Personally, I'm a big fan of plastic pots - Airpots and root-pruning pots specifically.  I find fabric pots a bitch to move around and you need to get them off the floor with some kind of stand as not to have them sitting in standing water.  Air pots/root-pruning pots will give you the same amazing root structure as in fabric pots and can be reused and reused again.

I'm currently growing autos in 7.5L root-pruning pots and all is going well.  Watering is easy and even in the early stages they dry out within a reasonable time.

Hope this helps.

Edited by JJJ
2 people like this

16 minutes ago, furious fred said:

What are the probs with pots that are too big. I'm going to transplant some autos in my balcony grow to 20l pots. Now I have them they look massive. 

What do you reckon the optimum size is and would you rate fabric pots over plastic?

I flower them in 19l pots but I am dealing with 30c+ days and the soil naturally dries out quickly, so I found it worked better for me using bigger.. However, if I was growing in the UK outside or indoors I would be doing as @JJJ has suggested above with 6-11l for the reasons he has said :)

Also another vote for plastic pots. I invested quite a bit in fabric "Smart Pots" and was not happy I had to water 4 times a day outside in soil and 2/3 times a day inside growing in coir. Yes they have root advantages but growing plants is not a full time job for me so I find the plastic pots much more beneficial, with better results consequently... If I had time to water 4 times a day I would probably use the smart pots.

2 people like this