Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mactryer

problems arise

18 posts in this topic

Hello yet again 

ok so its my first RDWC and ive been getting great help from everyone but when I went in my room last night I noticed these rusty spots on the leaves mainly lower and midd now to me it looks like a mag defiency but its too early in the plants life or so I think because this rdwc lark is totally different from what I know so any help identifying this problem would be great ty. large.20190212_182950.jpglarge.20190212_182950.jpglarge.20190212_182933.jpg

1 person likes this

what are you feeding them at?

WHat nutrients are you using in the mix to get to this figure?

What are your room temps?

what ph is in there?

we need a bit more information please?

Sorry my bad 

ok I was feeding them at about 150ppm on the 500 scale then upped it to 350 ppm 2 days ago 

my nutrients are plantmagic A+B and plantmagic rootstim with plantmagic enzyme

my room temps lights off never below 68f and never above 72f lights on never below 75f and never above 86 f

my ph runs at 5.8 running to 6.2 if it goes any higher I adjust back down 

and I appoligise again just panicking a bit lol and not sure how to use the forums as I had a thread and wasn't sure if to keep it on there or start a new one sorry.

hi, they look a bit over heated, so maybe your temps are a bit high. I aim for 25-27 during lights on and no less than 20 lights off.

Hydro plants need calcium and magnesium as there is very little of these elements in tap water, and I always give mine a low dose. especially in early veg and early bloom. 

yours are showing signs of deficiency, so it might be an idea to give them 0.5ml per litre.

Ive no experience of using plant magic nutes, but I know Zen-ken has used them before. I don't think he was very impressed with them, but could be wrong. 

1 person likes this

I have cut the range right back now has I was having problems with it. (mainly caused by over feeding tbf)

I use CalMag from the very beginning and all they way through......I have soft water...If I don't I will get rust spots like you have.

I wont use the root stim anymore in the system as it has 'bio stimulants' in it. (I use it to get the girls off and running in the aero prop but that's it)

You dont need the pure clean as the piping we are using is 25mm and not likely to get blocked (more for dripper systems IMO)

Evolution is great for my clones.....thats about it.

Never tried the ignition as I could not afford it :rofl:

The enzyme is unnecessary IMO as you change the water every week.

I wouldn't grow without silicon....but as discussed in an earlier thread I'm going to cut this at the beginning of week 4 and sub it for PK.

Im not using the PK 9/18 anymore either as it also has 'bio stimulants' in it and nothing organic/bio is going in my tanks. I have substituted this for Canna PK 13/14.

I have a packet of house and garden shooting powder for the last week but this isn't as good as it was before they sold out. (root exculator is the same.....still great....but was better)

(All personal opinions....I have used many ranges of products tho and find this not to be the best one)

Edited by zen-ken

Looking at your pots there are you still 'hand feeding from the top' ?....they don't look quite big enough to put in the system yet ( are the roots hanging out the bottom yet....what colour are they ?)

sorry to ask noob questions but it eliminates stuff......You dont spray them with evolution and then leave them under the lights ? 

I think you mentioned in another thread that you have very soft water ?.....If so I would start adding CalMag at about 25% of the nutrient feed as @badbillybob suggests.

Its a necrosis of some description...Your EC is so low I doubt over feeding is the culprit and IME overfeeding causes PH drops....feeding correctly causes PH rises

What are you vegging under ? Water temperatures ?  What is the water level in the system ?

Edited by zen-ken
1 person likes this

thx you guys for helping really appreciate it 

and all your info I will defo take on board thought something was iffy with the root stim as it keeps leaving a film in my buckets and on the piping so wont use again thx

yep and the enzyme will now be binned :P

I don't use evolution at all so that's not a problem 

my water temps are a steady 68f my water level is just over the bottom of the pots 

my roots are poking threw and are white and look healthy 

my lights are 2XMars Hydro Reflector 960W LED Grow Light

And yea I still feed twice a night from the top till they get a bit more established

but they did go into the system as soon as started showing from the medium and there from seed not clone

my ec is now a steady 390 and my ph has drifted from 5.8 to 6.1 and stayed there for the last 2 days

and I only used plantmagic because it was the only food that was targeted to dwc should of reasearched more NVM hopefully I can get these ladies back on track now thx to your help :D

And I use the pure clean as my PH down as my ph has been drifting up and it helps keeps pumps and stuff salt free 

Edited by mactryer
left a bit out
1 person likes this

ffs lol 

not sure what happened to the text there at the end sorry!

3 minutes ago, mactryer said:

water level is just over the bottom of the pots 

Drop this level to allow an air gap of about 100mm between the nutes and pot, looks like they went in to the system a bit too early and the roots not established enough.

Keep the nutes weak at this stage and wait for the roots to catch up...default_thumbsup.gif

default_oldtoker.gif

1 person likes this

When I first start in the ol alien I have the water level at the crown......it doesn't stay there long and I will reduce to the bottom of the net pot....then to an inch or two from the bottom when they are established in the system.

Everything else you're saying is well within the parameters of your growing space by the sounds of it. 

I have two theories for you but you I would definitely cross reference my answers with senior DWC members (ie @badbillybob and @stu914 etc)

1. You need Calcium.....the growth in RDWC is stupid compared to soil....its like growing bamboo.....its just shoots up ....these growing pains you wont have seen before because of nutrient uptake is slightly different in hydro systems to soil.....I would lower the PH to 5.6 for a day to aid calcium uptake. (I would still expect this to rise over 48hrs or something is wrong)

Image result for cannabis nutrient uptake chart

We see in this chart I 'borrowed" that calcium is taken up at 5.8 PH and below.

2. Your lights are way too close and your burning them....I have no experience of this but I have seen guys using very high powered LED's and Distance was the problem :yep:

3 people like this

yet again thx folks 

And yea will drop PH now

and as for my lights first time ived used them but there like 2 and half foot off the tops of my plants 

cheers again :thisbig:

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, mactryer said:

yet again thx folks 

And yea will drop PH now

and as for my lights first time ived used them but there like 2 and half foot off the tops of my plants 

cheers again :thisbig:

I veg with a 600w MH..... I would be over a meter away with it with girls at this stage......not saying your too close....just food for thought. 

I might invest in a light meter.....The old put the back of your hand under till it gets hot trick doesn't work for LED'S....I was shocked by our LED light guru when he explained to me how easy it is to burn under LED's and just how critical distance is......too close and too far away. :yep:

Edited by zen-ken
1 person likes this

large.remo1.jpg

This girl is in an alien system......we can see already the need for Cal mag as diagnosed at the time by @badbillybob.

The light is well over a meter away. :yep:

Sorry to gatecrash bais, but what you mean went in too early, you guys keep the plant in a net pot in a propagator until roots show out the bottom or just in a rock wool cube or alternative until roots show in propagator. 

@mactryer pH @ 5.8-5.9 and I used Canna cal/mag but if you get it watch its quite strong. For my autos I used it at a rate of 5ml per 20litres but soooo many factors effect rdwc, mainly the environment we create, get on top of that and the rest should be fine. PS, reservoir change every week avoids lots of problems don't listen to skint flints who say save nutes and do it every two weeks. 

Edited by TheGreenShabeenReturns
2 people like this

48 minutes ago, TheGreenShabeenReturns said:

Sorry to gatecrash bais, but what you mean went in too early, you guys keep the plant in a net pot in a propagator until roots show out the bottom or just in a rock wool cube or alternative until roots show in propagator. 

I have done it both ways and establishing in net pots in the propagator is the quickest way IMO as its easier to maintain the environment in the prop tent....but gets more stretch

This time I banged them straight in from the prop as I could manage the environment better than previous attempts and didn't need to automate the top feeding...I was here to do it this time.

large.gorrilagirls.jpg

Took a bit longer to get them off the mark but when they did.......They exploded with growth.

This would be completely different if I was doing a clone run and would leave them in the prop in net pots with the lid on until they had established.

Edited by zen-ken
3 people like this