Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mountain Green

BLACK ORCHID MIXED FLO-FANS ???

Hi All,

just looking to buy a new fan and have come across this. Wondered if anyone has used one and if it’s any good? I’ve looked at specs and it clears 280m/3 against RVK moving 225 whatever it is per hour!?!?? (5” fan)

Not sure if it’s noisy or rubbish or worth a go. 

Thanks in advance!

Hi. I have a black orchid centri flo fan. 4 inch one for small grow area in garage.

It also has a built in fan speed controller and temperature sensor. Good enough for me at about 75 squid 

Got it turned half speed and I hang it from the ceiling to stop any vibrations. 

Quiet and powerful enough for me, no complaints.

Go for the RVK.  There's been quite a few growers around this season who are having issues with these Black Orchid fans.  The air movement seems fine but there seems to be quality problems.  RVK are industrial fans and will run reliably for years...:yep:

1 person likes this

I'll plug RVK (Systemair) too, solid German engineering :yep: 

2 people like this

Not overly helpful, but I'm 4 days in to a 150cm Black orchid fan. 

Truthfully, the build quality doesn't seem great, but for £25 on ebay, it was worth a punt.  Before I ordered, I read that there warranty / returns are pretty good.

after a fair bit of research i went for systemair RVKs too, primarily for their reputation for being dependable. the last thing i want worry about is a fan going tits up during flowering and stinking the street up. and in fairness to them when paired up with variacs they are pretty quiet

I bought one to replace my heath robinson computer fan extractor, 6 months wrapped up in towels and acoustic foam and still seems ok, stripped and cleaned a few weeks ago and seems like solid kit inside, even though I went for yon cheap in line jobbie. The motor held enough heat that I had to wait to reassemble it comfortably, a sign that the motor core and windings are good quality :)

It's not quite as it said, and I don't have the kit to check what's actually up, but: they said it's single speed, but on opening the connector box it is in fact 2 speed, and it arrives set to the lower of the two.. No word of this in the manual or sales blurb, so I'm not sure what it's actually doing.

edit * The plastic housing feels worrying fragile, to the point they even included spare locking straps in the box, but I am a 200 pound gorilla so your mileage may vary on this front, and it is solid enough when it's all together. (it does arrive assembled)*

I got the impression that they have had quality control issues, though they're singing about using german motors that other extractor manufacturers use and there are also people who are having no problems with them. Overall the in line ones have a harder time with airflow resistances as they don't create as much pressure difference over the blades as a centrifugal can. This can be compensated for with a larger filter, should you desire.

Edited by Kinetikal
further brainsharting

Well, only a couple of weeks in and my axial 150 died.  Bad news.  The good news is that after giving my warranty # I had a new one in two days.  I'm not giving up on them yet, but probably won't buy another.

1 person likes this

Do you know what kind of died? I'm curious to the failure mode

bought a 5" black orchid fan this week for under £50, will be a couple of weeks till I fit it need wait for present grow to finish.

Edited by hash72

On 10/3/2019 at 0:36 PM, Kinetikal said:

Do you know what kind of died? I'm curious to the failure mode

I'm not sure.  Probably don't know enough about it.   I took it apart, and put it back together, but it didn't help.    When it's plugged in, I can't hear any noise as if it was trying to turn.    Do you have any troubleshooting steps?   I don't mind messing around, but don't really know what I'm doing.

1 person likes this

@Uk_canadian From the drawing they provide on their site there's no indication of how it comes apart or internals but it's just going to be a motor and possibly one or two capacitors to start and run it smoothly. Get it back into pieces and poke the electrical connections with a multimeter in continuity mode, the bit that doesn't beep/give a response is broken is a good rule of thumb. It is possible the motor has dead spots so turn the motor shaft when checking the coil windings themself/itself.

Also, sucking eggs moment maybe, but it does indicate potential problems - is the plug fuse ok assuming you have one?

Burning smells are usually a (relatively powerful) short circuit, funny smells are usually capacitors, and horrible smells are plastic, if there were any. I know it's designed to move air, but such smells tend to linger longer!

sorry if im rambly, im a little drunk!

For what it's worth my 5" Black Orchid with speed and temp adjust showed no signs of issue and saw me happily through my first grow - I'm only swapping to a smaller EC fan because I'd like to be able to turn the airflow down as even at its lowest setting the BO was bowing the walls in.

I'm also hoping the new fan is quieter but then again I never did get round to sound insulating the old one so can't complain

Edited by Ranec
Spellingz