Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

cypher79

Hydrolab EC Acoustic Fan - anyone using?

16 posts in this topic

So I want to replace my old power hungry 5" extractor fan for a more energy efficient EC fan....now the only 5" EC fan I can find is made by Hydrolab, and I notice that it looks identical to the Phresh Hyper non-stealth range, except that Phresh don't actually sell a 5" version of that fan? :unsure:

I've already got a Hydrolab tent, which I'm very impressed with...so I'm guessing this fan should be good too, just slightly dubious about this Phresh copycat thing, and the fact that there's so little information online about these Hydrolab fans...there's no reviews or anything like that.

Does anyone have any experience with these Hydrolab fans?

I think you find phresh hyperfan is a China oem that means they put your name on it. From my looking at them the controller is the same.. if you search on Chinese selling sites you will see the rebranding :oldtoker:  I have no experience using them but I did look into prices and suppliers from China 

3 people like this

Hi  @cypher79

Did you purchase a 5inch version of this? If so what are your thoughts as I fancy a replacement for my rvk but 6inch would be massive overkill

6 hours ago, Lean Bear said:

Hi  @cypher79

Did you purchase a 5inch version of this? If so what are your thoughts as I fancy a replacement for my rvk but 6inch would be massive overkill

Yeah I ended up buying it but haven't got around to setting it up yet as I'm moving house soon so dismantling my grow...I've had it out the box and switched it on to make sure it works though, and it all seems fine.

Edited by cypher79

@cypher79 great thanks mate. I think this may well be the fan I'm looking for ! :)

How is the fan after using ? Is this a better alternative to an RVK with a fan controller? 

Yeah I've been using it in my veg tent and it's a decent little fan, not particularly powerful though, but very low wattage (it says 20w on the box, and I'm only using it around 30% on the dial), pretty quiet and very small too :) I'm also thinking about getting the 4" version to replace the intake fan in my flowering tent.

2 people like this

13 hours ago, cypher79 said:

Yeah I've been using it in my veg tent and it's a decent little fan, not particularly powerful though, but very low wattage (it says 20w on the box, and I'm only using it around 30% on the dial), pretty quiet and very small too :) I'm also thinking about getting the 4" version to replace the intake fan in my flowering tent.

Thanks, Im thinking about pulling the trigger and getting a 5" one of these and a 5" MountainAir, I could get both for around £170 with 5" Combi ducting

I just hope this would last a few years

1 person likes this

Just recently bought a 4” hydro lab ec acoustic fan for my wee grow space. 
definately quieter than the one iv replaced.

grow tent only 400 x 400 x 1400high.

Says it only uses 20watts power and I only have mine set at about a third of the power on the wee speed controller. I can hardly hear it at all now and it’s keeping negative pressure on the tent. Was worried I’d have to have it full pelt but it’s quiet as hell. 
defo recommend if you want to keep noise levels down as it’s made a huge difference for me 

On 1/6/2019 at 0:03 PM, cypher79 said:

I've already got a Hydrolab tent, which I'm very impressed with...so I'm guessing this fan should be good too

How long you had the tent? Not so impressed with mine after 6months to a year, the material ain't that thick, it has pin pricks in it, the mylar is wearing away, the zips are noisy and the stitching is starting to come away  in places. The poles are going rusty the paint scratches off easily, the top bars don't fit very well. pile of overpriced shit imo. £165 for 160 x 80. If their fans are same as hyper fans then It seems to me they just rebrand cheap Chinese imports! 

Considering the 4" version for my veg tent and drying box. 

Does anyone know what control voltage range it uses? (should I want to use a temp-sensing EC controller instead of the basic one included) 

Probably far too late as I've just noticed the OP posted this almost a year ago. Just in case your still interested @cypher79 I'm using the 5" Hydrolab EC Acoustic Fan for extraction from my 1 x 1 x 2 meter tent.

large.Capture.JPG

It's extremely quiet, under 30% operating capacity you'd be forgiven for thinking it wasn't actually switched on. Very powerful, drawing exhaust air via some 7 meters of ducting even during the summer (mini heatwaves) I've never had call to have it more than 60%. Great feature is the controller module is on a huge extension lead so the fan can be positioned a significant distance away from the tent (mine situated in the loft - bright blue with jubilee clips either side)

large.Exhaust.jpg

whilst the controller module sits some 5 to 6 meters away right next to the tent. Originally situated it in the loft primarily so it was out of the way but also it was one less noisy fan away from the tent not realising how quiet it was. Currently only have it on 25% (mid flower) capacity which offers enough air exchange whilst preserving some heat in the tent.

Very pleased with it, knowing what I know now I'd likely have plumped for the 4" version for my active intake fan. This is only a cheap (but effective) amazon unbranded type

large.Capture.JPG

and is significantly noisier than the larger 5" Hydrolab fan in the loft.

Edited by Poisonata

Mine developed this annoying whine a few times, which lasted about a week each time before going back to normal. Don't know if it's an issue with the speed controller causing it, as the controller only works when hung in certain positions for some odd reason :unsure:

Still doing it's job though, and for it's tiny size and low power usage I can't complain.

1 person likes this

Thought I'd give this thread a bump as my 5" Hydrolab ec fan just suddenly died after about 1 year of use :( luckily I checked my veg tent or my plants would have fried.....not impressed at all.

Had to go straight to the grow shop to get a replacement, and ended up getting a 5" Ram Air mixed flow fan....I know mixed flow fans ain't recommended for using with a filter, but that was the nearest one to the Hydrolab I could get and seems to be doing a decent job so far.

1 person likes this

Done anyone know which EC controllers work with this?

Cheers