Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

harrygrout

Covering pots in Coco

Hi All, how many growers using Coco cover up the pots ? I did a side by side experiment when I first noticed when checking the pots after a grow the roots wasn't really reaching the top 15-20% . Now with just a cardboard cover with a slit in the roots are bursting out of the top of the Coco. Anybody else done this ? 

2 people like this

Might give it a shot... I also found fewer roots in the upper part of the coco, maybe not 20%, but noticeable... It seems to turn around in bloom though and the roots definitely begin to show, and need a little covering of more coco, a few weeks after the turn.

Do you reckon its the heat or light that's putting the roots off the topmost layer of coco?

I use clay pebbles, do the same thing and plus it's easier to water.

2 people like this

20 minutes ago, Slugums said:

Might give it a shot... I also found fewer roots in the upper part of the coco, maybe not 20%, but noticeable... It seems to turn around in bloom though and the roots definitely begin to show, and need a little covering of more coco, a few weeks after the turn.

Do you reckon its the heat or light that's putting the roots off the topmost layer of coco?

Id say it's the light 100% . 

I grow in coco and when I water I uncover roots so all mine is full and i never cover the pots. Thats asking for stem rot at medium level imo

Owd

1 person likes this

Same as Owderb roots bursting out everywhere and no covers. The roots need air remember.

1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, Owderb said:

I grow in coco and when I water I uncover roots so all mine is full and i never cover the pots. Thats asking for stem rot at medium level imo

Owd

The covers are a U shape to obviously pass through the stem. So plenty of gap for air circulation underneath . How would I be vunerable to stem rot ? Been putting covers on for a dozen grows and not had signs of any kind of rot.

Edited by harrygrout

if your getting away with it then carry on.

1 hour ago, Owderb said:

Owd

1 hour ago, tokenroll said:

Same as Owderb roots bursting out everywhere and no covers. The roots need air remember.

I get the same thing a couple of weeks into flowering... I'll be keeping a look out to see what happens with this grow - early days yet!

I think it was the POG+ I noticed the space up top on and that grow suffered a bit of chill... :g:

Cheers!

:v:

59 minutes ago, harrygrout said:

The covers are a U shape to obviously pass through the stem. So plenty of gap for air circulation underneath . How would I be vunerable to stem rot ? Been putting covers on for a dozen grows and not had signs of any kind of rot.

Still makes it very damp and humid under the cover. 

Good. I'm glad you haven't had rot but its still a risk

Covers are just not needed IMO. More fresh air to the roots the better

Owd

1 person likes this