Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

B0bbyBuds

Removing buds from stems

Hello all! 

Since my bus have been curing, a while now, they’ve been on the stem, like big stems with a few buds on. For one jar the one I’m currently smoking out of I removed all the buds from the stems and they smell a lot more and also less earthy, although I think the earthiness was coming from the stems. 

Just wondering if if anyone else has noticed this. 

Also the buds are dry and stems crack. The majority of the jars I havnt been able to burp for a while. How often do they need burping now dried and cured? The cure was about 2 months probably not been burped in about a month. 

You dont cure buds still on stems

You dry your bud take it off the stems then jar and if its dried correctly there is no need to even burp jars

Owd

4 people like this

I think my thought process at the time was for a slower cure as it was the peak of summer and didn’t want them to flash dry, so they had a bit of moisture from the stems. 

Ill remove more of the stems (think it may be the branch) when I can. 

I think it’s definitely dry so good I don’t need to burp.

Thanks man 

Based on my environment, I hang the whole plant for 5 weeks minimum, I consider the cure to start while hanging the plant . After they hang for so many weeks  , I remove buds and place on drying racks for about 10days , by that time I hope there to be very little moisture remaining in the buds and they are ready to jar up for long time storage. My goal is always to get that white ash and full flavour. For me this is  all down to slowly curing and moisture content before jarring up. People using chemical salt ferts will have to flush well I'd imagine to get that white ash , I'm organic so that's only based on what I've read. 

Edited by Al Swearengen
1 person likes this

While hanging the plant, what’s the environment like?

I had to cut mine early and find somewhere to dry. I had the opportunity to set my tent up for 2 weeks. I was worried about bud rot, so didn’t hang the whole plant but think I might next time. I cut the buds into smaller branches then hung them up in the tent with the fan on low for 2 weeks. After that I had to jar up. I burped every day if not twice a day. Until they were pretty dry. After about a month of that, probably once a week or more. More recently I havnt burped then as I’ve moved back with my parents and isn’t the most practical at the moment. 

They seem fully cured now. There’s not much of a smell to them unless you crack the buds even then it’s not that strong. The smoke is though. 

Also organic, I’m not sure if I had pure white ash, can’t remember I don’t smoke that much, I mainly vape. 

Hey man , my environment is very humid and damp. Temps are a little high today in the room my drying tent is in . 19.9c degrees currently and the humidity is 65.5. Both these figures go up and down but I never add heat . Just have extraction  on low, no other fans . Get the buds good and dry before jarring up is advice I would have given myself when I first started growing. Obviously you don't want to take them to where they crumble into dust but not that far off it. Burping never really changed the moisture content of the bud for me , more to prevent mold. Again if there dry enough before hitting the Jars you won't need to burp. I vape mostly too , but I still like my joints to burn white , as when they do it's flavour town and smooth as smooth can be. It's an art in it's own the curing game. 

My buds are stinking before they hit the jar  and smell remains fairly much the same for long storage , well usually they  last me up to a year. 

Your buds not smelling could be down to so may variables . Variety, feeding , drying time and temperature?

Al :yinyang:

1 person likes this

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, Al Swearengen said:

Based on my environment, I hang the whole plant for 5 weeks minimum, I consider the cure to start while hanging the plant . After they hang for so many weeks  , I remove buds and place on drying racks for about 10days , by that time I hope there to be very little moisture remaining in the buds and they are ready to jar up for long time storage. My goal is always to get that white ash and full flavour. For me this is  all down to slowly curing and moisture content before jarring up. People using chemical salt ferts will have to flush well I'd imagine to get that white ash , I'm organic so that's only based on what I've read. 

do you dry in a colder environment? the reason I ask is my temps in drying room are no higher than 11c so I think its going to take 3weeks+ for it to dry before being able to put into jars for curing, this won't effect the flavour/smoke with it drying for longer?

1 person likes this

Hi Wizard I dry in an attic conversion. Hot in summer , cold in winter. Always high humidity but higher when colder times of the year. It's currently 14 degrees up there with a humidity of 65 . As humidity was so high and temps so cold , I did this one time as an experiment add in a small desk oil rad (400w) . I only turned it on for 1 or 2 hours max a day and not directly under the drying rack with the passive intake blowing over the heater. This brought the drying temp up to 20/21 degree and humidity down to 40 or under. 

Smell and flavor are still on point after a very long drying time , probably 6 weeks at least . The smoke is tasty and burns white.

Edited by Al Swearengen
2 people like this

3 hours ago, Al Swearengen said:

Hi Wizard I dry in an attic conversion. Hot in summer , cold in winter. Always high humidity but higher when colder times of the year. It's currently 14 degrees up there with a humidity of 65 . As humidity was so high and temps so cold , I did this one time as an experiment add in a small desk oil rad (400w) . I only turned it on for 1 or 2 hours max a day and not directly under the drying rack with the passive intake blowing over the heater. This brought the drying temp up to 20/21 degree and humidity down to 40 or under. 

Smell and flavor are still on point after a very long drying time , probably 6 weeks at least . The smoke is tasty and burns white.

Cheers for the advice and info mate, ive checked mine today and then seem to be holding up fine temps about 6/7c atm lol no sign of mould and it seems to be drying out nicely tbf looks dank, covered in trichs still has a smell to it.

I may try turning my heater on electric for an hour or two per day just to give it a bit of a push but it seems to be holding out well atm probably 7th day in this is what its looking like, feels sticky as well.

Flash and no flash

6oj6ly.jpg

2zzmayo.jpg

:skin_up: