Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Dynex CEO

Fungas Gnats...

Posted (edited)

Hi guys,

Got a bit of a gnat problem week 2 in flower. Got 8 girls and less than 10 gnats per pot I'd say. Got sticky traps and 1/4 inch of sharp horticultural sand on top soil yesterday. As always when somethings not right I'm paranoid as fuck my yields will be affected, Schrodinger's cat and all that lol 

Would this be enough to sort them out you think or should I go the extra mile and do a Bacillus thuringiensis drench?

Thanks in advance and good growing :)

D

Edited by Dynex CEO

Doing what you've already done Getting a barrier in place is probably the best single things you can do along with your stickies although they seemed to remove more of my arm hairs than gnats

other things to consider if you want to go after the larvae other then BTI are Sciarid Fly Nematoads ,Tanlin,Spinosad.

all safe to use in flower.

They are more damaging early on as they tend to eat the fine root hairs and inhibit water uptake, week 2 in flower shouldn't be such a issue but i think your wise to be proactive it can get out of hand real quick if you dont take counter measures like with any pest.

Oh and if you get your clip on fans in the right place it can stop the fuckers flying as they are pretty unsteady and bumble about if you've noticed strong wind doesn't let them fly.

Good luck fucking hate fungas gnats little twats. 

1 person likes this

Hypoaspis mites. 

4 people like this

Fungus gnats are more of an annoyance than a problem, they rarely cause problems, Just carry on with the sand and stickies, I used to find the best place for stickies was lying across the pots' rims. :)

1 person likes this

caffeine ....

one teaspoon of full caff coffee in 1 liter of water..

give yer plants a drink..

1 liter should do 4 pots..

little knats die :)

job done ..

cheap , cheerful and organic

:yep: 

2 hours ago, sam-i-am said:

Hypoaspis mites. 

Are they a predator? 

2 hours ago, BarrySHitPeas said:

Doing what you've already done Getting a barrier in place is probably the best single things you can do along with your stickies although they seemed to remove more of my arm hairs than gnats

other things to consider if you want to go after the larvae other then BTI are Sciarid Fly Nematoads ,Tanlin,Spinosad.

all safe to use in flower.

They are more damaging early on as they tend to eat the fine root hairs and inhibit water uptake, week 2 in flower shouldn't be such a issue but i think your wise to be proactive it can get out of hand real quick if you dont take counter measures like with any pest.

Oh and if you get your clip on fans in the right place it can stop the fuckers flying as they are pretty unsteady and bumble about if you've noticed strong wind doesn't let them fly.

Good luck fucking hate fungas gnats little twats. 

Yeah those stickies have ripped a few leaves apart and taken some arm hair too lol Gonna try to get a small fan down there, been making myself dizzy blowing them out the pots when I go in there haha

I hate them as well annoying fuckers one made it to my bedroom and flew up my nose last night :pitchfork: 

2 hours ago, Muppet said:

Fungus gnats are more of an annoyance than a problem, they rarely cause problems, Just carry on with the sand and stickies, I used to find the best place for stickies was lying across the pots' rims. :)

That's some relief :) I found that too actually only a few lands on the vertical placed ones

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, Dynex CEO said:

Are they a predator? 

Yeah, they're fucking brilliant. I'd been plagued with them for ages and tried all sorts. Tried these, ordered over the Internet, they arrived the next day. Sprinkled them over the pots and two days later all the fungus gnats were gone, never to return. 

They are dead small, you can't even see them but in my experience, very effective. They just get in there and munch all the larvae. Life cycle broken, gnats disappear. 

Edited by sam-i-am
1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, Dynex CEO said:

Are they a predator? 

Yeah those stickies have ripped a few leaves apart and taken some arm hair too lol Gonna try to get a small fan down there, been making myself dizzy blowing them out the pots when I go in there haha

I hate them as well annoying fuckers one made it to my bedroom and flew up my nose last night :pitchfork: 

That's some relief :) I found that too actually only a few lands on the vertical placed ones

Well a gnat's life cycle involves juveniles leaving the compost and returning to lay down eggs, hence sand makes a good barrier. 

7 hours ago, Muppet said:

fungus gnats are more of an annoyance than a problem, they rarely cause problems

I'd disagree if they build up to serious numbers or they are already in the substrate from the off  they can really do damage, not to mention like all flying insects are a vector of disease.

imo they should be dealt with straight away and harshly like any unwanted pest to avoid numbers getting out of control.

4 hours ago, Dynex CEO said:

I hate them as well annoying fuckers one made it to my bedroom and flew up my nose last night 

Yeah its because they are attracted to the co2 from your nose.

26 minutes ago, BarrySHitPeas said:

I'd disagree if they build up to serious numbers or they are already in the substrate from the off  they can really do damage, not to mention like all flying insects are a vector of disease.

imo they should be dealt with straight away and harshly like any unwanted pest to avoid numbers getting out of control.

I lived with them for years,  the local grow shop used to sell some brilliant locally produced compost which was always full of gnats, just used to keep the place full of stickies to keep the numbers down. If they cause any problems it's the laeve eating the roots and leaving an easy way in for infections. The flying adults have no interest in the foliage. 

brilliant locally produced compost which was always full of gnats,

Well it's not brilliant if it's full of gnats then is it. :P

I lived with them for years,

we have our self's a gnat sympathizer..... :clown:

1 person likes this

https://www.amazon.com/Growstone-GnatFungus-Control-9-Liter/dp/B00IGFH0LS

I just got this shit. I've had fungus gnats all summer. Spinosad doesn't touch them. Tanlin doesn't douch either. I have ordered those hypostasis preditors to put in before this crushed glass.

Also used 5ec pyrthitin spray, which is also hopeless. The powder version works awesome but the guy from the company said that it's not for cannabis ..

They don't do too much damage but once you're infested , it's a nightmare