Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

tomplum

do you know what caused this

26 posts in this topic

Leaf miner ? what is that, what can I do about it? is it bad ?

thanks Tom, 

Posted (edited)

Image2HXXlarge.jpg

E2a. They are actually inside the leaf. Carving little paths through your leaves. They look like brown spots. Quite small as you can see. You can give it a wee squeeze and you will be rewarded with a satisfying pop.

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
3 people like this

54 minutes ago, tomplum said:

what can I do about it?

No spray I know can touch it, so do as BPB suggests, I`ve had whole rows of peas wiped out in a weeks or so due to these fuckers. my biggest fear in the garden after cabbage beetle and butterflies.

thanks BPbouncer, I've just been looking through a magnifying glass and yes, you are right, thats what i can see, so I squoose with my fingers, I never felt a pop, so i'll keep my eye on the bugger, 

1 person likes this

Happy to help @tomplum

Indeed, buggers they are @ratdog it's a daily battle at the minute spotting these before they get out of hand.

Between these and the aphids, my nasturiums are being attacked left right and centre. They just need to hold on for another week till they are judged and then they can have them lol 

Funnily, despite an abundance of those pesky cabbage whites this year I've yet to see any caterpillar damage which is usual. 

I'm sure it will come.........en masse probably lol

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Funnily, despite an abundance of those pesky cabbage whites this year I've yet to see any caterpillar damage which is usual. 

I`ve been using a biological spray called thuricide, recommend by Charles Dowding, haven`t had any serious damage at all on my uncovered brassicas, although I`ve seen several lots of eggs. They have gotten into the heads of my crops though as I`ve found several cooked caterpillars in my dinner a few times.

3 people like this

Well the wee little fuckers. Just spent 30 mins squishing these little buggers. And guess what @ratdog ..........I have found an abundance of eggs/the tiniest of cabbage white caterpillars. I knew they would show up. Obviously sooner rather than later. 

large.IMG_20180712_30101.jpgAnd what they are effecting. It is much more full of colour on the south facing opposite side but the shot is a bit on top taken from the other side security wise. Just thought I'd snap a couple of shots while I'm giving them a top dressing/debuglarge.IMG_20180712_30391.jpg

Just needs to hold on looking ok for another 5 days and I'm away for 4. I dread to think what everything will look like when I get back. 

I must look into this stuff ratdog. I have managed all year to avoid pests and now they are seeking to come all at once.

Don't get me started on my lupins and dahlias 

2 people like this

I found it very good but then it was also the first crop of the year brassica wise so maybe the jury`s out.

I have just ripped out  part of a second sowing of calabrese as they don`t look great and not sure they will perform, but I have just planted 50 or sow pea plants in their place, now watch the leaf miner find my gaff in the coming weeks!!

Nice looking nasturtiums mate

1 person likes this

On 11/07/2018 at 9:02 PM, ratdog said:

No spray I know can touch it, so do as BPB suggests, I`ve had whole rows of peas wiped out in a weeks or so due to these fuckers. my biggest fear in the garden after cabbage beetle and butterflies.

Bloody butterflies grrrrrrrrrr. I had this problem last year, a single butterfly got in the gh and at the time I never thought anything of it until a few weeks later and I started finding tiny little grey caterpillars over my plants.

I picked the damn things off as I found them but I never did completely get rid of them all.

how things are 6 weeks in

large.5b507033138f0_IMG_4116(640x480).jpglarge.5b50703a1871c_IMG_4117(640x480).jpg

2 people like this

I'm made up as these are my first ever cannabis plants, thanks to everyone on this site,

Tom

1 person likes this