Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

zinc

Light mover or not?

20 posts in this topic

Due to get a new tent soon looking at a 2.4x1.2.

Just wanted some peoples opinions on lighting and whether or not a mover would be beneficial.

I have an abundance of 600w lights so was thinking of having 2 in there.

Would it be worth having  light movers to cover the space better?

This would either be across the 1.2 metres moving a couple of ft

Or

Have the rails along the 2.4m length and moving in opposite dieections so they will move past each other in the centre

Any thoughts welcomed

I used to have some friends who swore by them, but I'm really not convinced. My opinion is that they are not worth the bother they cause. More to go wrong and the benefits are at best marginal.

My opinion.

3 people like this

18 minutes ago, monkeypig said:

I used to have some friends who swore by them, but I'm really not convinced. My opinion is that they are not worth the bother they cause. More to go wrong and the benefits are at best marginal.

My opinion.

Opinion noted.

Just trying to make the most of the space. Only done 2 grows so far so still learning and was in a 1.2x1m space before so even more of a learning curve

save your money & dont buy a light mover, just stick two 600ws or maybe three in depending on your ventilation & save the money for your lecky bill  lol

4 people like this

2 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

save your money & dont buy a light mover, just stick two 600ws or maybe three in depending on your ventilation & save the money for your lecky bill  lol

Would have been making one rather than buying to be honest.

Sounds like the general consensus is to not bother though.

Still need to sort out proper ventilation. Last grow was a single 600w vented into the room tent was in but was getting far too hot in there and also too humid within the room.

1 hour ago, zinc said:

I have an abundance of 600w lights so was thinking of having 2 in there.

i would have 3 or 4 in there mate, i use a 120x120x220 tent and i use 2 600's in that, i also agree with the above about not needing a light mover....

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, craigfjyp said:

i would have 3 or 4 in there mate, i use a 120x120x220 tent and i use 2 600's in that, i also agree with the above about not needing a light mover....

Going for it! How do you set them up in there? It's not obvious how you'd lay it out? What sort of yields do you pull if it's not too rude?

1 person likes this

I would not fo for a light mover in theee if i had 4 lights more so i could get full coverage with 2.

I am also interested in yield? Does the outcome outweigh the doubling of electricity?

Light movers are generally considered shit because people had this idea in their heads that, lets say, in a 1.2 x 2.4 you could remove one of your 600s and just have one on a light mover and still get the same yield. As we all know thats a crack, although op wants to use them in the correct manner: 

1 hour ago, zinc said:

Have the rails along the 2.4m length and moving in opposite dieections so they will move past each other in the centre

I've always been under the impression that this is the proper way to use a light mover, you'd get better penetration and less shading due to the angle of light changing.

It seems a bit OTT to me considering really awesome yields can be achieved just using stationary lighting - like complicating beans on toast, it's just something else that can go wrong. It comes down to the age old "if it was any good we'd all be using them" 

4 people like this

What he said^ but to add - they really depart from the old keep it simple principle.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, monkeypig said:

Going for it! How do you set them up in there? It's not obvious how you'd lay it out? What sort of yields do you pull if it's not too rude?

hey @monkeypig

its not rude at all mate,

i just have them hanging side by side, its a 120cm squared tent so iv got 4 plants under 1 light and 4 under the other, its the greenqube i won from here mate so i can't say how much i'll pull from it as its my first crop but before getting that one i used a 120x60x200 tent and i would pull about 15-20oz from that with 1 600 and 6-8 plants and that's half the size of this new tent so i'm hoping i can get about double when i have it full(12-16 plants) and i'll be happy.

btw its only the normal dutch barn shades i use, they fit perfectly in the tent side by side.

Edited by craigfjyp
add extra line
2 people like this

That's good going for a 120x60. I'm in a 120x120 (used to use a 600w now 2x315cmh)and as long as I pull 20 oz I'm happy. 

I'll be interested to see how you do.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, monkeypig said:

That's good going for a 120x60. I'm in a 120x120 (used to use a 600w now 2x315cmh)and as long as I pull 20 oz I'm happy. 

I'll be interested to see how you do.

20oz was the best iv had, that's not what i pull every crop, my average is usually around the 15oz but if i ever fill the 120x120 tent with 16 plants i would really be wanting upwards of 35 oz but i probably won't fill it, i normally only have 8 plants flowering and 8 vegging so i only have 16 running at the same time and that keeps me in bud and my perpetual grow going so i don't run out, this is the first time iv tried the 2 600's together, i was running 2 120x60x200 tents with them but when i won the greenqube comp i changed because the GQ is great compared to the 2 cheap tents i was using, i only have 8 plants in the tent so i was just interested to see if the 2 lights would make a difference from what i would normally get with 1 light and 8 plants, its cuts from my previous grow from the smaller tent as well so hopefully its a pretty close comparison.

Edited by craigfjyp

@craigfjyp what extraction are you using? I have a 600w and an adjustawing,and have a 760m3 fan and 900m3 filter that copes fine. But 1200watts is a lot of heat to suck out.

1 person likes this

Sounds like your getting good yields @craigfjyp i have only done a couple of grows so far and pulled 15oz under 1 600w in a 120x80 ish homebuilt.

Hoping on this one to do a scrog aswell so jopefully that will aid a bit for even light penetration.

1 person likes this