Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Laphroaig

Fan meltdown II - battle of the wall fans (cont.)

Back in 2012 I was having the same issue as I am today.  My bloody wall fans keep dying.  About a week ago my last Vent Axia Meteor died.  I really liked those fans, they lasted a few years longer than the average oscillating fan, although I guess they were three times the price...  I'm going to see if I can find anyone who'll have a go at fixing them but meanwhile I'm coming back to the community for recommendations.  Sadly Vent Axia no longer make the Meteor so does anyone have any current recommendations for air circulation fans?

Part 1. 

I've given up on expensive fans and after finding £40 and up fans burnt out after less than 6 months on full time, I not but £10 fans from the Fixers of screws. If they last 6 months so be it (but funnily enough they seem to last longer), their return policy is so good you just get it replaced (after washing the resin off!)

1 person likes this

are you on about wall mounted fans or pedestal fans?

1. If you're on about wall mounts, ill follow along.

Im looking into getting a couple of wall mounted ones for my soon to be finished groom build, but I couldn't bring myself to spending a ton on each of them. 

I used to use the cheapos and they usually lasted well,2-3 yrs on constant, but like someone said in your last post, don't switch them off, just keep em running 24/7, they seem to last longer. I used to treat em to a sprinkle of graphite powder every now and then.

Don't buy the thin  box shaped fans either they are shite, and from experience the silver framed floor fans have been the best for me reliability wise over the past 10 years,. The ones in the fixers of screws are reasonable price too if that's what you are after. 

Wall mounted.  Floorspace is taken:) 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, badbillybob said:

from experience the silver framed floor fans have been the best for me reliability wise over the past 10 years

Same here so I mounted one on the ceiling pointed downwards.

I imagine you could put one on the wall too...

Edited by MicroDoser
1 person likes this

The issue with oscillating fans is that it literally wiggles the wire out of the back of it as it moves left and right. They're not meant to be used how we use them and in the conditions we do, half of the grow specific fans are just rebranded chinese stuff you can get at argos at the price the grow shop pays for them.

I always used to get my oscillating fans at argos.The price in the grow shop was always marked up by a good £10 +,cheeky twats.

1 person likes this

Ditto all of that. I use 4 small clip ons that were about £4 a pop. Usually replace one or two a year. Doesn't feel good binning electrical stuff that regularly. Would happily pay a premium for something durable and serviceable.

The only pair of fans I couldn't kill were cinni fans I think.  Pricey though very good quality.

lol reminds me I’ve got a small room Jam packed full of dead fans that could really do with clearing out 

Laphroaig, did you get this resolved?

im only asking cos im gonna pull the pin on 2 cheapos shortly, like under 30 quid each. 

was looking at the ram, sealey, undbranded white ones on a remote control. 

Any suggestions or ones to avoid?

I bought the non oscillating Jardin monkey fans. Just tiewrapped on to the poles. Still going after a year, so far so good.

They have 2 speeds too, though I keep them on the slowest speed 24/7.

Posted (edited)

i havent got one but it sounds like a 4" rvk and a diffuseair would work there is a thread somewhere on here i saw recently and the idea is great behind them :) 

Edited by doobie01