Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Medical420

Temperature contol

I guys I’m planning on buying some sort of controller to help maintain the temp in my tent. I’ve got a 600w hps. A 150w extraction fan in 6 inch duct. And a 2kw heater outside the tent. 

Any suggestions on best set up to maintain temp? Thanks 

Hi medical 420. Firstly... What kind of extraction fan you got? Make model and CFM? How big is your tent? What kind of 2kw heater? Oil filled radiator? Fan heater?

Its all about just tinkering around with your setup until you dial it in. Things like running the extractor fan at different speeds and how high/low your light is all have an affect on temps. Also the temperature of the room where your tent is can affect the inside temp as well. Luckily we are in winter right now so it’s a lot cooler, growing in summer is a nightmare lol

I always use three thermometers. I have two in the tent a digital one with built in hygrometer and an old school mercury one just as back up. I also have a thermometer outside the tent in the room, I also keep notes so I know roughly what the temp should be in the room in order to keep it constant in the tent.

So there’s no quick cheats to nailing down perfect temps especially as everybody has a different setup. Just try and keep planning ahead to make things easier on yourself. Good luck. 

3 people like this

I will not grow without a variac 5 step fan controller. 

1 person likes this

On 10/02/2018 at 6:16 PM, ilikebigbuds said:

Hi medical 420. Firstly... What kind of extraction fan you got? Make model and CFM? How big is your tent? What kind of 2kw heater? Oil filled radiator? Fan heater?

Hi mate, I have a 6” extractor think it’s a garden pro? It’s 150w and the guy in shop said it’s over kill for my 1.2x1.2x1.8 with 600w hps.

ive got a 2kw oil rad with various heat settings. 

On 10/02/2018 at 6:33 PM, G'n'E said:

Its all about just tinkering around with your setup until you dial it in. Things like running the extractor fan at different speeds and how high/low your light is all have an affect on temps. Also the temperature of the room where your tent is can affect the inside temp as well. Luckily we are in winter right now so it’s a lot cooler, growing in summer is a nightmare lol

I always use three thermometers. I have two in the tent a digital one with built in hygrometer and an old school mercury one just as back up. I also have a thermometer outside the tent in the room, I also keep notes so I know roughly what the temp should be in the room in order to keep it constant in the tent.

So there’s no quick cheats to nailing down perfect temps especially as everybody has a different setup. Just try and keep planning ahead to make things easier on yourself. Good luck. 

Thankyou! At the min I’ve got a hydro meter hanging at canopy level, I’ve got one at root level with a probe inside the pot, and I’ve got one on top of the pots.

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Medical420 said:

Thankyou! At the min I’ve got a hydro meter hanging at canopy level, I’ve got one at root level with a probe inside the pot, and I’ve got one on top of the pots.

Personally I think that’s a little overkill. My thermometers are just at canopy level so if the temperatures are okay there the ambient will be okay for the rest of space/tent. If your trying to get temps in the air and in the soil perfect your setting yourself up for a lot of unnecessary stress and work lol  ..... always try and work smarter not harder ;-)

Just make sure you get some air flow on and around the pots because as your plants grow even with defoliation they can block out light getting below which can create a dark damp humid environment around the base of your plants. And that’s asking for trouble.

And another little tip. Tents are a finite space that can overheat really easily. I often see people place their filter on the floor. This is okay in big grow spaces but in a tent this pulls down the radiant heat from your grow light down to plant level as it’s sucking up the stagnant air. Make sure to hang up it up by your growlight as it will remove the radiant heat much more efficiently than it would on the floor without pulling it down and over your plants.

Through my experience I’ve always found it much easier to warm up a cool environment than it is to cool down a hot one.

Good luck! 

Edited by G'n'E

5 minutes ago, G'n'E said:

Personally I think that’s a little overkill. My thermometers are just at canopy level so if the temperatures are okay there the ambient will be okay for the rest of space/tent. If your trying to get temps in the air and in the soil perfect your setting yourself up for a lot of unnecessary stress and work lol 

Just make sure you get some air flow on and around the pots because as your plants grow even with defoliation they can block out light getting below which can create a dark damp humid environment around the base of your plants. And that’s asking for trouble.

And another little tip. Tents are a finite space that can overheat really easily. I often see people place their filter on the floor. This is okay in big grow spaces but in a tent this pulls down the radiant heat from your grow light down to plant level and really as it’s sucking out the stagnant air. Make sure to hang up it up by your growlight as it will remove the radiant heat much more efficiently than it would on the floor without pulling it down and over your plants.

Through my experience I’ve always found it much easier to warm up a cool environment than it is to cool down a hot one.

Good luck! 

Fair enough! I’m just using them so i know really, I’m not stressing too much over it.

yeah filter is at top of tent at back 1 clip on fan canopy level and a floor fan blowing towards pots!

thanks!

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Medical420 said:

Fair enough! I’m just using them so i know really, I’m not stressing too much over it.

yeah filter is at top of tent at back 1 clip on fan canopy level and a floor fan blowing towards pots!

thanks!

Sounds like your good to go then! Don’t stress yourself out too much over things just keep it simple you’ll be good!

On 11/02/2018 at 6:40 PM, Medical420 said:

Hi mate, I have a 6” extractor think it’s a garden pro? It’s 150w and the guy in shop said it’s over kill for my 1.2x1.2x1.8 with 600w hps.

ive got a 2kw oil rad with various heat settings. 

i would recommend a variac 5 step transformer on speed 2 (140v) which is 60.68% speed 1 (110v) is 47.8% and maybe not enough suction once you add carbon filter and ducting. the longer the duct run the more it reduces your cfm. are you using passive intake? i run a 2.4m x 1.2m x 2m on a 8"A1 and find speed 2 ample negative pressure with 2 x 10" duct flaps for passive intake. 1 circulation fan per light if using HID lighting and maybe a couple corner fans monkey fans attach to the poles i use ordinary desk fans hung on elasticated rope tied to the roof poles. as for heater i keep tube heaters up the middle of my pots to warm the roots at lights out. dont worry about keeping top canopy level warm its the roots that are important. i keep my day night temp difference to within 5c. 26c day 21c at night. any more questions fire away happy to help sorry for the slow reply mate

1 person likes this

Measure your max at canopy level and min with a probe in your pots :) 

3 people like this

Variac all the way.

Thanks for all your help guys. 

If I upload some pics can you give me your opinions. Plants seem small and seemed to have stopped getting bigger.

not sure if I’m giving them enough food. 

There in 16 litre root pouches which I realise is a bit big. In coco.

ive done what everyone’s said there on 24 hours light and plenty of air flow. Temps at roots is minimum 20 and ambient is 25-27