Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

redbeard

Man caught with cannabis farm in local flat and claimed he’d smoke the lot sent to jail

31 posts in this topic

A man who ran a massive cannabis farm in his flat — then claimed he planned to smoke the crop he’d grown by himself — has been jailed for 18 months.

Lewis Maxwell’s cultivation was discovered when a debt collector forced open his door to enforce an unpaid gas bill.

The debt collector found an extensive, “sophisticated” cannabis plantation inside the flat in Montrose Street, Brechin.

iscal depute Eilidh Robertson told Dundee Sheriff Court that, in total, 133 plants and associated paraphernalia were found in a room between the flat’s kitchen and bedroom.

Miss Robertson said: “The flat had been rented out by another male.

“He and the accused went to Brechin police office and the accused told them ‘I’m here to hand myself in for the grow on Montrose Street, its mine’.

“The accused claimed he had been growing cannabis there for the last six months.

“He claimed he was due to move into that flat imminently as he was due to be evicted from his own tenancy in High Street, Brechin.

“He said the other male had taken out the Montrose Street tenancy on his behalf due to his poor credit rating.

“He claimed the cannabis plants were all for his own personal use and he used cannabis to help him sleep.

“He claimed he would ‘grow them, keep a big stash and smoke them throughout the year’.

“Forensic officers confirmed the quantity of plants was in excess of what would be retained for personal use and is indicative of the accused being concerned in the supply of cannabis.

“They are of the opinion that the plants would yield between one and three ounces each with a total value of between £23,940 and £71,820.”

Maxwell, 27, a prisoner at Perth, pleaded guilty on indictment to producing cannabis between October 24 2014 and April 24 2015 at an address in Montrose Street, Brechin.

He further admitted being concerned in the supply of cannabis between the same dates and failing to turn up at court at an earlier hearing.

Sheriff Tom Hughes sentenced Maxwell to a total of 18 months in jail.

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/man-caught-cannabis-farm-local-flat-claimed-hed-smoke-lot-sent-jail/

Comment...

I thought in UK law the prosecution had to prove guilt rather than the defence prove innocence. Except here the court assumed the accused guilty of dealing on quantity with no evidence of dealing. Somebody with a decent lawyer would easily pull this aspect of the case apart. By all means charge him with cannabis cultivation and possession. If they wanted him charged with dealing they should have caught him in the act.

7 people like this

No chance was the landlord not involved in that grow 

3 people like this

Scottish justice at its most corrupt worst

130 plants for percy tho, dinna think so.

Saying that, last year there was a bloke up here who had a similar amount and got off, with the judge actually believing it was his pS. He was growng it in an industrial unit as well.

its a lottery depending on which senile old bastard judge you get, and whether they have taken their meds that day or not

7 people like this

A debt collector forced open his door for an unpaid gas bill????

Can they do that?

6 people like this

High court / sherrifs enforcement will let them open any door mate.

don't pay we take it away TV show style 

1 person likes this

Not true - High court sheriffs can only force entry if it's a commercial premises...they can however gain entry through an open window OR if you open the door to them...they are not allowed however to break into private premises without the aid of police :yep:

7 people like this

With 115 plants on the go, I'm surprised he had much of a gas bill ...

11 people like this

Firstly, I'm of the understanding that Gas/Elec companies can enter your property for large amounts to take control of the supply, if the meters inside the property. Secondly....

Yeah 130 plants is pushing it, hmmm hang on 1...2....3....4....ooh found half a smoke that put me in an early grave last night, meh... fuck counting it's Sunday.

Stay away from drugs kids.

8 people like this

They can't force entry for a monetary dispute, as this is soley a civil matter, but they can under health and safety reasons E.G if they suspect a gas leak or electrical fault, as this could pose danger to life. So these companies apply for an entry warrant under the guise it's for health and safety reasons but really they want to get in and change your meters to prepay ones so you have to pay them back through the meters or have no utilities. Basically they lie to get these warrants. Also sounds like he's grassed himself up I reckon, if he'd said nothing it would be down to them to prove everything. Its easier with a confession for old bill than have to actually do the hard work I suppose. Brought on by phrases like "we just want the truth" and "it'll make it easier for yourself if you tell us everything".

4 people like this

Man caught with cannabis farm in local flat

This is a local flat for local people, there's nothing for you here.

11 people like this

thats a hell of a lot of plants for one person to smoke tho ahhh ?????      often wondered ,  if for example you got caught with 3 plants ,   but they were  VERY  VERY   low thc  but  high  cbd variety, for medical use ..... would you STILL  be in the shit as bad ???  or  do you think they would concider a plant a plant ... no matter the  thc level ~?

for example  some strains  are exceptionally low in thc  and  youd probably have to smoke an oz  to  feel anything ......

Edited by vortex

a plants a plant in the eyes of the law, irrespective of its thc or cbd content.

5 people like this

Yes it does seem a lot of plants. I doubt he would of got 3 ounces a plant though. Doesn’t mention amount of lights.  

Lets say two ounces, hell,  let’s say 60 grams x133 plants=7980g

8000 watts needed. Possible I suppose.

what about all the people making oils for medicine. 5% return for the highest grade oil? Maybe 10% 

so between 400 and 800g of oil

thats only enough oil for about 6 or 7 cancer patients.  Or just treatment for 1 patient and a continual preventative dosage.

Its easy to need more than a few plants. Probably not in this case though

raw potatoes are more dangerous

bet they didnt take them..

7 people like this