Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Absurdist

Advice on using home made compost

16 posts in this topic

I've got some seedlings in Jack's Magic that will need potting up soon, and I want to use my home made compost.

The compost is made from kitchen waste, garden waste, grass trimmings and some chicken shit. I urinated on it regularly. It is very nicely composted and has been riddled.

I was thinking of just treating it like a compost from the garden centre and potting the plants up with it.

Does anyone see a flaw in that plan?

I think I recall@blackpoolbouncer  being a bit of an expert on compost now I come to think about it

Crack on mate. Sounds lovely. 

Just watch out for bugs is my only advice but I wouldn't let that put you off. 

1 person likes this

Bugs are a concern for sure @blackpoolbouncer. Have you had bother with them? I don't want to end up infested.

The only bug issues I have had have been aphids which were a twat, thrips and mosquitos....all easily rectifiable and are more to do with where I grow than the soil.

You could get all these from store bought compo 

1 person likes this

drop some nematodes in the soil to take care of larvae and some sticky traps about the place should take care of most pests,going to be integrating nematodes in my mix from now on as prevention they seem to do a good job.

H4rdc0r3.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

You could get all these from store bought compo 

Very true. Especially at this time of year with bags that have been sitting around outside for ages. 

I've read advice online about only using one part compost to two parts light soil.

What do you reckon to that advice?

Is the soil for drainage purposes or to reduce the chances of nute burn from hot company?

Not sure about that mate, what do you call "light soil" 

Whats the texture like on its own? Have you tried some in a pot and wetted it to see what its like?

Only way, if you think the compost is good, which it sounds to be if its well composted, is to try it. Perhaps on one first if thats possible. A test

I just dug it out the compost bin yesterday and it is very moist.

If I press it gently into a ball it breaks up easily, but if I squeeze it tight some water comes out and it takes a bit of rolling to break it up again.

I think an experiment is called for, got enough Jacks Magic left for a couple of controls.

1 person likes this

I bottled out in the end! Just potted a couple up in the last of my Jack's Magic and got the home brew compost as far away as possible from my box.

Figured that I've never had any problems with insects, fungus or rot in 10 years. This might just be blind luck, but it could also be because I've been very careful about what goes into my box and keeping stuff clean.

I'm not going to risk opening a Pandora's box of infestation just to save spending a fiver on a bag of Jack's! 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Absurdist said:

I bottled out in the end! Just potted a couple up in the last of my Jack's Magic and got the home brew compost as far away as possible from my box.

Figured that I've never had any problems with insects, fungus or rot in 10 years. This might just be blind luck, but it could also be because I've been very careful about what goes into my box and keeping stuff clean.

I'm not going to risk opening a Pandora's box of infestation just to save spending a fiver on a bag of Jack's! 

I'm the same mate afraid of creepies Have you thought of handing your  kitchen waste over to some worms in a worm bin,Although I see all sorts of creepies in my worm bin I've never had any affect my plants, I think the internal power struggle in a fully functioning worm bin means only the good creepies survive,

3 people like this

A worm bin is on my to do list. There's no worms in the compost bin at all, just centipedes and clouds of little flies.

1 person likes this

I made a lovely worm bin, a worm hotel if you like, with lots of levels and a nice tap, but I’m too scared of worms so it sits empty :( 

2 people like this

@Kiminal ,Start small mate buy 100grams

1 person likes this

@Jimboo

i keep meaning too, I’m too old to still be freaked out by stupid worms lol