Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

danlilker

HOW MANY PLANTS IN 1x1x2 ? -

19 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, i have some questions about growing indoors...

1) how many plants can i grow in 1m x1m x1m (not sure if i'll use a tent or a little handmade wardrobe or something like that) . 

2) Let's assume 4 plants can be grown in 1m x1m 2m do you think that a 300W LED will be enough? Or is it better to stick to just 2? Also thinking to cover the inside walls with Myalar to make the best use of the 300W LED ( i know i could use a 450W or a 600W or even bigger but the bill would be higher...)

3) How many months do i need to veg them and how many months to flower them? I thought/worked out a total of 4 months between vegging (18hrs on and 6hrs off) and flowering (11hrs on and 13hrs off). Please correct me if i am wrong regarding the hrs of vegging and flowering. I read that 18hrs is the optimum number of hrs for vegging and same thing for the flowering (11hrs on and 13hrs off  not 12hrs)

Thank you all for your helping replies :) - p.s. forgot to mention that the growing would be for seed production rather than bud production

On 20/02/2011 at 9:27 PM, Owderb said:

This question keeps cropping up nigh on every week so this is how I look at it although there is no hard and fast rules. How you choose to grow also determines plant numbers and pot size. I.E Screen of green(scrog) or Sea of green (sog).

I think the easiest way to work out the best pot size and plant numbers is to first look at what bulb you are using, and I'm using hps bulbs as my base and a 3ft x 3ft or 4ft x 4ft space, and whether plant numbers are a concern for you or just not practical

Work out how many ounces that bulb could and will produce if your grow practices are good. Averaging 1grm/watt as a rough guide

EG..600grms = 21oz so if using 9 plants 600/9 = 66grms/plant which is just over 2oz. A 6.5ltr pot whether in compost or coco will produce that size of plant consistently if like I said earlier its grown in a good environment. I cant see the point of using big pots if only needing a couple of ounces per plant. By the time a large pot has rooted out the plant will probably be too big and you will have had to top or supercrop to keep the height down plus its just wasted time

If using 4 plants then you would look for them to yield over 5oz/plant so then you would need at least an 11-15ltr if in compost but you would get away with 11ltr in coco. Coco tends to out yield compost by more when you get to the bigger pots. Training would mostly be used for smaller numbers to fill the canopy

You also have to take into consideration vegging times. Obviously if you need a crop off quick then its no good using big pots because your vegging times would be longer so smaller pots would be the order of the day. Smaller pots are better also when height becomes a problem

If using sea of green then you could if practical fit 100 plants in there in 1ltr pots but it should still yield the same as 4 plants seeing its the light that governs your yield to a great extent but you would have no vegging time

At the moment I have a 1000w in a 4ft x 4ft space. Ive put 16 plants in coco in there and I'm looking at around 2oz per plant so chose 6.5 ltr pots

Ive also yielded 35oz out of 5 plants in 11ltrs of coco with run to waste watered once a day with a decent run off

So there's a few things that you need to look at before deciding, and then decide on what's practical for you

Hope this makes it a tad clearer

ED to add....This is not written with auto$ in mind

Owd

3 people like this

I agree with everything in the above post, but have to say that I struggle to get to the Gram-pre-watt that many achieve. However, I use 6 Litre squares and tend to average 0.75 gpw, growing in compost.

Your (Tent?) size is the same as mine, I have a one metre squared tent and using the pots mentioned above I can, if needed, get 9 plants in. I don't do that, however; usually, I stick six in. Using these pots I usually veg them for two weeks (bear in mind they've been potted on at least twice before getting to these final pots), flowering time is always strain and pheno-dependent. But for me and the sort of plants I prefer, nine to ten weeks is a rough guide. There's a link in my signature to a whole post about this subject.

HTH

Edited by Arnold Layne
2 people like this

An even canopy so they say, numbers vs sizes really. If you want max yield then best off using cuttings all from a mother that you know well.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, indicatoker420 said:

An even canopy so they say, numbers vs sizes really. If you want max yield then best off using cuttings all from a mother that you know well.

i would do this to have/obtain seeds not buds. Just seeds. Would 4 pots fit and seat comf.ly  in a 1m x 1m x 2m  wardrobe/tent ? (2 males and 2 females or best to have just 2 pots? 1 male and 1 female) ? cheers

4 plants is what i see quite a lot of People growing under a 600w in similar space mate. Some people would do 9 like in 3 rows of three like I probably would, but each to their own an all. Nice to keep numbers down in a way because the way the old bill see it is that the more plants there is then the more weed there'll be, very misleading but you know what they're like.

1 person likes this

Why do u want to produce the seeds if u don't mind us asking and how many seeds will u b looking to get cos one plant that has been pollinated will make u thousands so if that is anuff then 2 plants is all u need the male and female n male can b discarded once it's done its job in that case yes a 300 would do but so would a smaller space if seeds are all ur after then ideal growing space is not needed as u won't b harvesting the buds hope I've helped 

1 person likes this

@Arnold Layne

2 weeks vegging? how many hrs of light do you give them? 24hrs? (seems a bit too short of a veg time for me). about the flowering 2months/2months and a half seems good (again how many hrs of light and how many of darkness? 11hrs on and 13hrs off throughout the entire flowering cycle?) thanks. Dan

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed please use @function to avoid repetition

@Arnold Layne

what about 4 pots  in a 1m x 1m x 2m tent ? pots of between 20 and 30 litres. Enough space? Also, could i put 2 plants in each pot? meaning 4 plants in total in 2 pots? Under a Viparspectra LED 300W  ? would that be enough for 4 plants? cheers - Dan

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed please use @function to avoid repetition and also link removed

Absolutely helped by your answer @smokey bear I agree with you. The answer to your question is "as many seeds as possible" as i am thinking of 1) preserving landraces genetics and 2) selling the seeds to smokers and growers and breeders etc (preservation and spreading of old school genetics). As i want to eventually sell the seeds, the more i have, the better. So 2 pollinated females will give me more than just 1 ;)  you think 300W LED won't be enough for 4 plants/pots? if the answer is no, how about 2 males in one pot and 2 females in another pot? basically 2 pots but 4 plants. cheers. Dan

Edited by Owderb

@danlilker

The way this reads to me is you want to set up a landrace seed co and preserve great genetics from around the world,admirable but very hard work imo..so are you travelling to get these seeds or just buying them from others already doing it ? like Ace seeds or many others.?

Also if your thinking about this you should already know how to get the most seeds from your tent and grow,which breeders are you going to sell these too ?

What areas are you hoping to preserve landraces from Asia,Mexico,Africa India ? have you ever grown a landrace sativa or indica ?

Sorry dude loads of Qs 

peace

2 people like this

Sorry to piss on ur fire Dan but ur trying to do the impossible as it sounds like u don't know what ur doing properly soz again but I've been growing for nearly 10 years n I wouldn't even try to do that what ur talking about would take multiple males and females in multiple areas that r ideally in multiple rooms as u don't want to unintentional cross breed them or u wouldn't b preserving them I'd leave it up to the professionals n if u really want to preserve them then buy the seeds u want to preserve n store them properly should last for years n years 

1 person likes this

@danlilker

You have misread me completely!

22 hours ago, Arnold Layne said:

Using these pots I usually veg them for two weeks (bear in mind they've been potted on at least twice before getting to these final pots),

So from when they've first shown roots, they have had two weeks in their rooting pots, then two to three weeks in intermediary pots, before finally being potted into the six-litre square pots I use for flowering. Once in those flowering pots, I usually give them two weeks or thereabouts. Making a total of six or seven weeks. I am only using clones at the moment.

I wouldn't use big pots like you say. It would take ages to poy-up to that, and you'd have mahooosive plants to handle. Plus I am unable to lift those sorts of weight. I am too old and too incapacitated for that kind of thing!

If you want to see how I do stuff, I have a diary on the go. Its called "Smiling Devil", I think(?)

Edited by Arnold Layne
1 person likes this

Hi happy Hippy and thank you for your message. I am travelling and while travelling, i am collecting the seeds, the local ones, the real deal. I know it’s hard work (i am realizing it) but as long as it is a passion, i want to follow it. If and when it becomes a burden more than an enjoyment, then i will quit.

I don’t have an answer to your second question because i am still not sure whether to grow indoors or outdoors. Theoretically i can do both, i just need to sit down and talk it through. It’s a work in progress, becoming. Hopefully i will soon get the answers. But i am already moving my ass around it J I read that a plant can give you at least 300 seeds up to a thousand(s). That’s all i know for now. About whom i am thinking to sell them to, i guess the answer is “everybody” or anyone who wantes to buy it for their own purposes (collecting, growing, preserving, inbreeding, creating new hybrids etc).

The answer to your other question is: ALL (asia,mexico,africa,india). Mexico and africa are the ones i don’t have. Like the one from Oaxaca and Angola, Gabon, Congo and such. The idea would be to collect seeds from any place i go to ( i know it’s virtually impossible, i should be travelling my whole life :9 ) and that’s why my travels have become “targeted”. I have connection in africa and mexico. It’s just a matter of time (fingers crossed). Yes i have grown a landrace. No worries about the questions i ask myself loads of questions too :D

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed please use @function to avoid repetition
1 person likes this

@smokey bear

thanks for opening my eyes on this smokey bear. i could do it outdoors and spot the best/fittest  males and females and get rid of the bad looking/weak males (and females too). 

it's a work in progress. i am asking and gathering info's and ideas. thank you again for your tip though really helpful

Edited by Owderb