Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Comrade Stoker

DIY Storm Cloud

17 posts in this topic

Hello all

I am going to build myself a Storm Cloud Lamp, one that is interactive. I am using the following website

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/build-cloud-lamp-sound-reactive-lightning/

Here is a video of a very expensive one ($3000). I think I can make mine for less than £80

I will use this thread to document my build.

Edited by Comrade Stoker
7 people like this

Questions...

Can you make it storm when smeone walks past it?

Can you make it change colour?

Can you make it storm to the beat of music?

Can you make it lightening and electrocute the mother in law every time she walks past it?

Can you make god come out of it and tell everybody to "Be excellent to each other!"

7 people like this

I'd like it if it did the god thing. It's pretty cool but not 3 grand cool. Enjoy the project 

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Questions...

Can you make it storm when smeone walks past it?

Can you make it change colour?

Can you make it storm to the beat of music?

Can you make it lightening and electrocute the mother in law every time she walks past it?

Can you make god come out of it and tell everybody to "Be excellent to each other!"

Yes to all of them. There are upgrades you can do to it, though changing colour, flashing to music is standard. I'll leather the mother-in-law with a clowns shoe, its a much better tool for the job, slapstick and morally correct, all at once.

4 people like this

The first bits starting arriving today, I ordered it all a week or so ago. I am going to take it slowly, and building something really nice and solid. I have a few places to put it in my house, either in kitchen or in my living room. I am going to get one of those arch shaped lamp bases, the one thats like a steel pole that curves in quite a wide diameter.

1 person likes this

Leather her with a clowns shoe lol 

that's just killed me. 

1 person likes this

4 pairs of scrunched up pants some chicken wire and a couple of dodgy 11 watt cfls ,two opera singers to stand in the room ..im sure thats less than 80quid ..

54 minutes ago, Comrade Stoker said:

I'll leather the mother-in-law with a clowns shoe, its a much better tool for the job, slapstick and morally correct, all at once.

I never tried the clown shoe method of mother in law beating, call me old fashioned but i do think a quick thrashing with a riding crop just hits the spot.Plus there is not to much bruising, so she can still wear her favourite  fishnets and red leather mini skirt down at the labour club .

The light looks fantastic good luck

looks like good thinking comrade

Cumulonimbus :)

Looks quite nice but can't really see it staying that way for very long, it'lll get dusty as fook whilst absorbing all the smoke, food and pet smells of the room. :puke:  Perhaps you can pretend the swam of flies it attracts are squadrons of fighters reinacting the battle of Britain? lol 

Not sure how flame-resistant the pp cotton is but I'd hazard a guess that it'll burn quite well once lit. :pitchfork: 

:no:    The author of the diy topic suggests using  cotton wool as a substitute. :russian:    This is not safe.  

James Bruce has a bsc in artificial intelligence, although, it would appear no common sense. 

2 people like this

6 hours ago, Saddam said:

Looks quite nice but can't really see it staying that way for very long, it'lll get dusty as fook whilst absorbing all the smoke, food and pet smells of the room. :puke:  Perhaps you can pretend the swam of flies it attracts are squadrons of fighters reinacting the battle of Britain? lol 

Not sure how flame-resistant the pp cotton is but I'd hazard a guess that it'll burn quite well once lit. :pitchfork: 

:no:    The author of the diy topic suggests using  cotton wool as a substitute. :russian:    This is not safe.  

James Bruce has a bsc in artificial intelligence, although, it would appear no common sense. 

I am going to lock up all the electronics in boxes and its likely going to be hung in the fireplace in the kitchen, so no dramas if it went up, though I think its unlikely. Assuming I box everything up, I reckon it will be fine.

1 person likes this

can you extract the lights from the cloud and give it a makeover every few years?  That would be ideal.  A new cloud even.

If not then maybe just a light trim?  You could take an electric razor/beard trimmer to it and shearit to get rid of some surface dirt.

2 hours ago, Bird said:

can you extract the lights from the cloud and give it a makeover every few years?  That would be ideal.  A new cloud even.

If not then maybe just a light trim?  You could take an electric razor/beard trimmer to it and shearit to get rid of some surface dirt.

I've ordered some sheep shearers, they might come in handy if I ever decided to keep sheep, so its a win win

Seriously though, its easy to rip out the filling (Cloud stuff) and replace it, just cut it off then stick some new stuff on it.

1 person likes this

It was that guy's suggestion to use cotton wool which took the biscuit, anyone who's ever used flint and cotton to start a campfire can attest to the fact that cotton goes from not lit to raging fireball in about a second. :russian:

Fireballs aren't a good look for the lounge, although they're probably very impressive. :)  

2 people like this

Cotton wool is definitely good for starting fires , in fact that's a top bushcraft tip

1 person likes this