Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MadDog101

Crayfish Trapping

Anyone had any experience. Go potting on a boat in spare time for lobsters and crabs. Never done Crays. I know you're meant to have a license. What time of year is best? 

Those months without an "e" should be avoided.  Crays are best found in gangster movies.   Failing that seek deep water cruxes and coastal cave openings that are too small for commercial fleets to enter.  But deep enough for crays.  Single pots as opposed to strings are more likely to produce.

Crays love the deep and dark but are found in shallower water on northern shores. For that reason.  Depths of 300ft are the starting point regards environment.  Only a handful of inshore waters offer this depth close inland..  Fenit may be a good bet.  For inshore crays....

Long deep soaks with wrasse produce better than pot baiting with oily paelegics short soak.  Hope that makes sense.

Sorry gents I must apologise, I meant signal crayfish. The freshwater invasive variety. I may have confused you after mentioning my saltwater antics

I used to catch hundreds of the things when growing up. Not the native crayfish, it was always those red American ones that have colonised our waterways. I remember one afternoon about 10+ years ago, I must have been about 10 years old... literally caught 50 of them, about 3 buckets full, in one afternoon with my dad using bacon and a net. Our freezer used to be full of them year round for several years. 

I would just throw a net in with a bit of bacon at the edge of a river and they'd crawl straight into the net. Even in the smaller streams I would catch a decent bounty. The hotter, sunnier days were always best for getting bites, and July - September is peak season when there would literally be hundreds. I have caught them year around, even in winter, but there is hardly any from December - April compared to the warmer, summer months. I remember a guy telling me at the local boathouse, a river expert guy, that there were 2 billon crayfish in UK waters and they double in number every 5 years. He told me this over 10 years ago. Thinking back about this is motivating me to go crawfishing this weekend. There's literally billions of them out there waiting to be caught. Invasive fuckers! 

@English Archer

thats interesting. We may see some activity this weekend with warmer weather. I've just set my trap in a section of river 10 foot wide. And about 2ft deep. Mackerel I caught as bait. 

Im in the east of England. So the river wensum is my spot. I did see a trout jump actually. River banks are very muddy. Which I hear they like. I just want to catch one so I know they are there at least for the summer.

@MadDog101, if they are there you won't have a problem picking them up on any old bait. They'll eat bread quite happily, from bitter experience.

They are real tasty little fuckers too. We have them in our river and I know a couple of lads that catch them. Theres one particular pool that produces well and its 20ft deep,slow running with muddy banks for them to burrow into. It was always a salmon head they baited their traps with but yer mackerel will work just as well I would imagine.

Best of luck mucker and remember to let us know how ye get on

I get them in the canal at the bottom of my garden but I haven't trapped any for years. I made a simple trap made out of chicken wire and baited with butchers scraps. It's best to move the traps around as crays are territorial and you'll only catch so many in one particular spot. I saw on the TV that there are 13 different types of crays in the UK!

I used to catch the native white claw ones when we were children and sell them to the chinese restuarant, I believe they salted them and sold them as scampi. It was really good pocket money better than nicking golf balls or collecting pop bottles for the deposit:oldtoker:

Believe it's still a bit cold. Tried 3 different spots. No luck. I'll try a river close to work, the EA reckon it's crawling with them. Weather this weekend may help the water temps.

I'd be interested to hear of any places people might know in and around Essex, these little blighters are good eatin'!

Anything will catch them, a small tin of cat food, half opened is good, though bacon or meat scraps is good. You can buy traps really cheap. The authorities are more worried about people moving them around (i.e. Catching them and putting them somewhere else) rather than people catching to eat.

1 person likes this

Reckon the waters still a bit cold chaps. Tried 4 places now. Over night with mackerel I catch in the summer as bait. I'll leave a few weeks then try.

Theres actually at least one guy in this country whose sole job is catching crays,his hauls are phenomenal.