Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Captain Bonglington

Some things I've made from wood.

108 posts in this topic

Круто, молодцы!

1 person likes this

I knocked this up today, chilling in the shed in the sunshine. :)

It's a bit of Beech, from the same tree as the other Beech bits and bobs I've posted. I couldn't think of anything else i could make with this other than a tea light holder. lol

It's interesting this bit, as it's beyond spalting....The wood itself is sound, but it's on the cusp of rot, i cut some soft bits off the ends, but it gives this lovely effect. :yep:

large.5ac6756f491cf_Beechtealight3.GIF

large.5ac6756b5b6ac_Beechtealight2.GIF

large.5ac67566799ee_Beechtealight1.GIF

:)

7 people like this

wow  that wood looks fantastic ....  i wish i could find wood like that stuff  as i make knives  and  that  would look ferkin amazing as a handle ....

1 person likes this

Some lovely pieces of work Captain! Im a keen woodworker myself, I may have to do a thread with some of my work as i don't want to just jump into yours!

1 person likes this

@Captain Bonglington hi mate, hope life's good.

Did you ever knock up an extractor for your shed? Did the RVK work? I need extraction for my workshop. It's getting silly now and i feel bad for my cat lol

Are you up to much in your shed? Winter's drawing in. I'm wanting to hunker down already but my outdoor grow and bits to do on my land have kept me going.

I'm gonna stick this up befor i take it any further, my first little treat project to myself..

large.mandalarose.JPG

Pleased so far. My chisels needed alot of care after living outside for years. They were pitted to feck. But i'ts getting there. It should look quite different when i'm done, that's why i thought i'd get it up now :yep: Will hopfully have a glass top, fancy forged steel legs and stand, with leaves and vines. But i havn't built my forge yet, so that's a way off lol

@j.o.i.n.t I read a post of your's asking about tools. A good set of chisels goes a long way. Making a mallet is a fun exercise too. Then it's just down to pratice and imagination.

A good carpentry axe opens up alot of possibilites and working with green wood is cool.  lol  Then you'll want a draw knife too, although i've never got on with them. I prefer an axe for most things like that.

I was always too quick to get my sanding stuff out. Should always be seen as a last resort, if not, always last step.

Not sure what sort of things you want to do but that ^^ was nearly all with a simple 1/4" straight edge chisel, and the same size paring chisel.

I do love my angle grinder. It's such a versatile tool. I used to use it alot on wood, especially for sanding, but then realised you end up spending a lot of time getting rid of the deep marks/sratches it leaves. I still use it for shaping. I mainly use it for metal work now.

I used one on the ends of these bits of Ash, then a palm sander, then finished by hand. Worked down to 800 grit. They look like bone, and feel like silk :yep:

large_funk.JPG

Nice one :guitar:

Edited by the lone deranger
18 people like this

It's been a while since I dropped back in here.....

I haven't done any woodwork for ages, I've not had the motivation. I'm like that, I'm either really into it almost to obsession levels or not at all.  :rolleyes:

I've been going through a really rough time the past few weeks, which is why I haven't been posting much lately, haven't had the energy to read, never mind write....:( 

But I kicked myself up the arse this morning to get myself back in the shed to occupy my mind.....:)

I was gifted a waney edge Elm plank a while ago, I roughly prepped it ages ago but finished it today, coat and hat rack.... it needs a wax and polish still, and holes drilled to stick it on a wall. It's quite big, about 4' 6''.

large_elm1.JPG

large_elm3.JPG

Nice detailing on it....:)

large_elm2.JPG

I decided to pick up another project too....I went with the intention of picking up a piece of Oak to make a "Go" board with, but I couldn't find the ideal bit....I did find this though. :)

large.oakshelf1.JPG

large.oakshelf2.JPG

I saw this and thought "kitchen". lol

It's a fair old chunk of wood, it would make a nice feature piece in a country kitchen.

It's going to be a free standing spice rack, or condiment/dressing display type thing, I was thinking of putting some pyrography on the slopy bit at the top, "herbs and spices" or something, or some images of chilli or veg burned in....:unsure:

It should look all shiny before long, lots of work in this though. :yep:

It's been sat outside as well, so it's piss wet through.

I'm itching to work on it but it's going to have to dry a bit, so it's sat by the Rayburn, it will move and split a bit probably, but what will be will be. :)

Edited by Captain Bonglington
18 people like this

2 hours ago, Captain Bonglington said:

I've been going through a really rough time the past few weeks,

Sorry to hear that mate. 

Know that you are welcome to come and hang out here anytime. Its a good place to regroup. Could have a go at making your own forged hooks too ;)

Those bits of wood are lush. Enjoy :yep: 

1 person likes this

Thanks man, I really appreciate that.  :yep:

Me and my girlfriend have split up, we had our differences but my world has been turned upside down. :(

That and my usual depressions and anxieties and I'm in ribbons. :(

Got to keep on keeping on though, it did me good doing a bit of woodwork today. :)

6 people like this

Ah shit. Sorry dude :hug: 

The offer is always there, and life is good in west Wales at the moment. I'm surrounded by conscious, inspirational people. Plenty of room (empty caravan). Tools. Wood. Scrap metmetal. And ugorg flowers coming out of my ears lol 

The fishing's not bad either :yep: 

1 person likes this

Ah shit. Sorry dude :hug: @Captain Bonglington

The offer is always there, and life is good in west Wales at the moment. I'm surrounded by conscious, inspirational people. Plenty of room (empty caravan). Tools. Wood. Scrap metmetal. And ugorg flowers coming out of my ears lol 

The fishing's not bad either :yep: 

1 person likes this

Hey bud I remember reading through this forum when I first joined uk420 and you have some great talent mate, your pieces definitely got my woodworking juices going, I haven't tried fraggle burning yet:ghost:(in case I fry myself) but have being tryin a few resins(expensive stuff) with some poplar wood, with slight success :wallbash: Thanks for the inspiration :realcool:. I would love to inlay the beer mats I have into the table and I have a router I just don't know how to use it yet lol hopefully your new and future woodworkings will continue to encourage me to do more. All the best buddy :bong:

large.IMG_3239.JPGlarge.IMG_3240.JPGlarge.IMG_3247.JPGlarge.IMG_3248.JPGlarge.IMG_3291.JPGlarge.IMG_3302.jpglarge.IMG_3305.jpg

11 people like this

That's beautiful work @Woodie2010. :yep:

I'm surprised how good that Poplar looks, did you plank it yourself? 

I'd have expected that to move and split, it looks perfect. :)

I'd be sweating putting a router into that to sink those beermats, it would look lovely though......you'd want to cover them as they're going to get grubby over time, maybe a clear resin or glass.....?

I'd leave that table as it is personally, and start another project with the beermats in mind, because if you fuck it up, like I would, you've ruined the whole thing....:yep:

Love the resin work too, that's on my list of things to do.....

As well as the fractal burning machine..... lol

I must admit I'm a bit frightened too, but I'm going to build one....once I've got the transformer out of the microwave it'll be happy days, probably,  it's the getting apart of said appliance I'm slightly concerned with. lol

5 people like this

Hey bud, sorry to hear of your troubles...strangely only yesterday you crossed my mind, I wondered where you were then BOOM !!

there you are alive and kicking, good to see the new woodwork...default_thumbsup.gif

atb

stu  :oldtoker:

3 people like this

Just about @stu914....:yep:

Don't say boom. :taz:

A work in progress....:)

large_elm6.JPG

Much planing, it's a section of beam that's been cut out with a chainsaw, so it's as rough as arseholes, and then thrown in the offcut bin where I source some of my wood. It's all got to be planed and sanded down below the chainsaw gouges.

large_elm5.JPG

It's the angle that's been the bastard to do, loads of stock to remove to get it all straight, I want that angle looking clean, it's essential for this piece I think. :)

Need more tools. I chiselled out a load of stuff today, but I think a multicutter thing would have done it in a fraction of the time, and better. And a finger sander thingy. :)

Getting there though....:)

7 people like this

Spent most of the day in the shed and I'm winning I think....:)

I chopped about 5 inches off one end as it had a big gouge out of it, it wasn't going to buff out so it went....I've kept the offcut to practice my pyrography on so I know what to expect when I burn the good piece. :)

The hard bit's done, the angle....I bought a drum sanding kit this morning for my drill, it's a bit Mickey Mouse, but it was quite handy....I.still couldn't get into the join properly, I was trying to think of a machine to do it, then the penny dropped.....do it by hand you lazy bastard. lol

I cut a sanding block, and used a bit of 40 grit belt around it, happy days....:) Then I just folded the bit of sanding belt to get right in to the join......painstaking and hard work but rewarding. 

large_elm7.JPG

Getting there....I think I've done the hard bits, it's all roughly sanded, just need to go through the grades and polish it up. I'll carry on sanding the join my hand as I go, otherwise it'll look different to the rest of the piece when it's oiled up. :)

large_elm8.JPG

I'm still not sure what to do with this, whether it becomes a free standing kitchen display unit type thing, or I put some brackets on it but it's fucking heavy to sit on a wall.

I want to pyrograph something onto that sloping top face, I'm thinking some chillies and veg, or utensils, or a mix of both, but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate your input. :yep:

Got stung by a hornet today, there's a group of them hiding underneath my spirit level that's mounted on the shed wall. Had me on the thumb the bastard. Suffering for my craft.  lol

Edited by Captain Bonglington
8 people like this