Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Captain Bonglington

Some things I've made from wood.

60 posts in this topic

I haven't done any woodwork for a while, but here's some bits and pieces I made last year.

Anything I make is from timber that's been rescued from the chipper or the bonfire, just interesting pieces of wood i come across day to day.

This is a plaque I made from a piece of Beech. eventually I'll get round to engraving it with a house name I expect.

This piece was left here in it's natural form by the previous tenant who was into his chainsaw carving, so i cant take credit for finding it, it's from a fallen Beech in a nearby wood. It's probably over 200 years old. It took me about two weeks of evenings to sand and finish it.

large.589346ee74b5f_Beechplaque.JPG 

Here's the other side that shows off the spalting.

large.Spalting.JPG

A coaster I made from a piece of Boxwood.large.coaster.JPG

This is a keyholder I cobbled up out of a piece of Laburnum that had grown in a spiral around another stem, and had become contorted and compressed. The graining on this is stunning I think.

large.589346b173a96_keyholder.JPGlarge.graining.JPG

Just thought they might interest folk who like wood! :)

Edited by Captain Bonglington
28 people like this

The only things I ever made from wood are 10 and 2 years old respectively and costing me a small fortune to run.

Next time I'm gonna use plastic n hopefully make nothing other than a mess.

bests 

7 people like this

@Dodgee.... :rofl:

It has been pointed out to me that my Beech plaque looks a bit like a used condom!

4 people like this

gotta say i love a nice bit of wood and to see someone else sand one down gives me a nice heart warming feeling ..to know im not the only one out there who makes condom plaques also .

3 people like this

Nice wood!!!

That first bit is lovely i would just be stroking the wood ( ooohh er) all the time !!

nice grain on the other pieces too!!

Like a good bit of woodwork myself although i think in my head i am a master craftsman when in reality i am an amatuer at best.

Living in a flat is a pain as wood work creates sooooo much dust/shavings. I do give it a go now and again but seem to be more practical pieces rather than creative.

I made this for my GF last year its for holding a skein of yarn to spin into balls,

large.IMGP4992.JPG

Its got sucker feet so it wont move when you are using it. :)

Basic is how i would describe this next one made from a cut off and a bit of copper pipe.....

large.IMGP4991.JPG

Hope peeps post some more of their creations in this thread (then i can steal the ideas!!)

more wood i tell ye!!!

D. lol

10 people like this

@lildaveham, yeah, I've spent far too much time admiring that piece of Beech!

I actually had to do that twice, I'd sanded and oiled it, it looked awesome, then I knocked over an old Oak beam in my woodstore with an old iron hinge on it, and put a big,deep scratch across it, I was fucking furious!

The best bit for me is when you first apply the oil and as if by magic the graining suddenly appears. :)

Your work looks good dude, the second piece looks good, but what is it exactly, a hemp wick holder?

I've made a couple of tea light holders too, I gave one to my mum for Christmas, and the other has caught a bit of mould outside so I didn't take a photo.

2 people like this

@Captain Bonglington

Yeah dude it a wick and lighter holder.

Bet you was well pissed off doing that to ya wood!!! Did you call yaself a plank!! lol

All the best

d.

2 people like this

Really nice work captain, beautiful pieces of wood, not seen anything so woody since powerbands beautiful marquetry she used to show. 

4 people like this

im with @THC4METOO that's some of the best woodiness iv seen in ages, I havnt the patience for the whittling myself, but my dad spends hours making stuff, iv got a small bowl and ashtray set he made me after visiting Robert "mouseman" Thompsons factory, the plan was to buy me a ashtray with the mouse, they had stopped making them due to the whole smoking is naughty thing, anyways, he bought a chunk of seasoned oak from them and made it himself, without the mouse, so I ended up without a oak mouseman ashtray, but got a ashtray made from mousman oak! lol

dj...

3 people like this

This is very much a work in progress, its in a right state as I've left it untreated over winter and the mould's got to it.

It's been a bastard to do, it started life as a Hawthorn root system, still covered in mud that i found on a building site.

i removed the mud, then sanded the bark off, removing all the tiny roots and just leaving the bare skeleton.

Eventually I''ll sand it back again to get the mould off, then treat it. I'll have to remove the bendy arm at the very base and tinker with it a bit to get it stable, then the plan is to put a round glass table top on it.

The cat likes having his photo taken...

large.5894ad7e80977_rootsystem.JPG

I forgot to say, thanks @*DJ* and @THC4METOO:)

Edited by Captain Bonglington
9 people like this

Nice tidy jobs. I'd be fucking proud of any of the projects photographed above.

Well Done!

2 people like this

Thanks @Kaydog! :yep:

Last year I got really into my woodwork, then my head went a bit south for various reasons, and I lost a bit of motivation. Well, all of it to be more precise! :rofl:

One of the reasons behind posting was that I'm trying to instill a bit more positivity in myself and get back into the things I enjoy doing, just give myself a kick up the arse really so the kind comments are appreciated. :yes:

Hopefully when it warms up a bit I'll be back in the shed wielding power tools again!

1 person likes this

I tried the year before last to have a (more) positive outlook which ended up my family running me down severely.

So this year I said you either are supportive and positive or you're out (of my life) which is working out better - and a de-clutter of 'family' and 'friends'.

Plus I took up pencil and charcoal sketching.

With my dog-sitting and new puppy, life has never been better! For the first time, I'm smiling from ear-to-ear for hours on end.

I hope you find your heaven with your wood work!

Edited by KayDog
3 people like this

I Made this parallelogram for a set of binos that are too heavy to hold

Please ignore the funky curtains, they`ve been changed now lolgallery_43394_4402_76545.jpg

Edited by ratdog
13 people like this

And this little pipe from a bit of left over beech worktop, that`s bloody hard wood lol

large_pipe.jpg

9 people like this