Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MuffinMan

Rate your last watched Movie

5,703 posts in this topic

Underwater - Underwhelming 2/10

The Call of the Wild - Disneyfied, CGI heavy version of the Jack London classic. Aimed squarely at children. The anthropomorphism is layed on a bit thick, but it's still a great adventure told with gusto. 6

Vivarium - Creepy trapped in suburbia oddity. Shades of Black Mirror and Inside Number 9, or those weird scifi shows they used to terrify kids with in the seventies. 8

1 person likes this

watched code #8 last night, was quite gripping

midsommer...….cant even be arsed to look up if that's the right title.....

2 out of 10

2 people like this

The Conversation - 1971, Gene Hackman.

Found it on my hard drive and it is shite, truly shite. A waste of 850mb of space, 2 mins bandwidth and 1h 47 of viewing time.

On 4/19/2020 at 4:52 PM, buddy13 said:

midsommer...….cant even be arsed to look up if that's the right title.....

2 out of 10

I went to the cinema to see Midsommar. I also took a shit that day too. I'm sure these are 2 of the least interesting facts about my life on that particular day :)

On 12/15/2019 at 6:46 PM, ratdog said:

first one was interesting and different, the second was unwatchable, way ott and just like watching someone play a video game

Likewise. I enjoyed the 1st one for what it was, anime-esque action done real. It was pretty cool. 2nd was awful. My life doesn't have time for the 3rd.

The Two Popes is good, worth a watch if the drama appeals to you 7/10

Edge of Tomorrow, loved it. saw it 1st time only about 3 months ago. sci-fi groundhog day. 9/10 for me.

Errementari if you like fantasy/adventure kinda stuff you should enjoy this. 8/10 for it's genre.

Just Mercy good movie based on a true story, good feels. Enjoyable for the historical perspective but nothing new cinema-wise 6/10.

2 people like this

On 4/21/2020 at 0:00 AM, Tony K said:

The Conversation - 1971, Gene Hackman.

Found it on my hard drive and it is shite, truly shite. A waste of 850mb of space, 2 mins bandwidth and 1h 47 of viewing time.

Seriously ?

I think it's a superb film, one of Coppola's best and one of Hackman's finest performances.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Boojum said:

Seriously ?

I think it's a superb film, one of Coppola's best and one of Hackman's finest performances.

Yeah, I thought it was a drag. It didn't engage me at all and the plot was weak. The 'twist' was mildly satisfying, but I've seen better in Murder She Wrote, Columbo or any number of throwaway TV series from the 70's and 80's.

I didn't really notice anything remarkable about the acting, certainly not enough to compensate for the other deficiencies. But I'm not at all cultured when it comes to films - as can be seen!

-------

I'm in the process of clearing space on my hard drive so I watched 'One Eyed Jacks' (1961 Marlon Brando) last night. It was watchable but I thought it lost it's way after about 45 mins. I ended up wanting the whole lot of them to kill each other, they all turned out to be cunts, couldn't muster much sympathy for any of them. Wouldn't watch it again, but it's not the worst way to pass 2h 20m. The plot was engaging, there was some tension, and it was fairly enjoyable on the whole.

6/10

1 person likes this

i started watching "hoaxed" last night, well what a disingenuous film this is, starts out all nice but slowly descends into making out alex jones is just playing a character and that trump is being manipulated in the press. i switched it off not long after the trump stuff started, it's clearly a right wing apologist film from the little i did watch.

amazon have pulled it from their site, apparently

9 hours ago, Boojum said:

Seriously ?

I also liked the continuation of Hackmans part in Enemy of the State.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

I also liked the continuation of Hackmans part in Enemy of the State.

Aye, the nods to The Conversation are a nice touch in Enemy of the State :)

E2A Antonioni's earlier film Blowup (which was a big influence on The Conversation) and De Palma's later Blow Out (which was influenced by Blowup and The Conversation) are also excellent kinda companion pieces :)

Edited by Boojum

The conversation is on the bbc iplayer for a little while.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Tony K said:

Yeah, I thought it was a drag. It didn't engage me at all and the plot was weak. The 'twist' was mildly satisfying, but I've seen better in Murder She Wrote, Columbo or any number of throwaway TV series from the 70's and 80's.

I didn't really notice anything remarkable about the acting, certainly not enough to compensate for the other deficiencies. But I'm not at all cultured when it comes to films - as can be seen!

Liking a film or not is just personal taste :) what one person loves another one hates, neither is right or wrong in their opinion, it's their taste and that's personal to them :) That's why I'm not into the whole idea of movie reviewers (I don't mean folks giving an opinion in threads like this, I mean professional ones who get paid for what is ultimately just their personal opinion), or indeed any kind of professional reviewer - who made them the arbiters of taste ? Was just a bit surprised at someone not liking The Conversation cos I really liked it, but that's just my personal taste. Bollocks to being 'cultured', we like what we like and don't like what we don't, and that's all that matters :)

1 person likes this

On 27/04/2020 at 9:20 PM, Boojum said:

That's why I'm not into the whole idea of movie reviewers (I don't mean folks giving an opinion in threads like this, I mean professional ones who get paid for what is ultimately just their personal opinion), or indeed any kind of professional reviewer - who made them the arbiters of taste ?

I agree, I feel the same about all critics, columnists, presenters, strangers on the internet and so on. It's just an opinion, no more no less.

I remember hearing Mark Kermode on the radio saying that he regarded a comedy film as a success if it made him laugh once every 30 minutes. Personally I think I'd be wanting a bit more of a return on my investment, so if I ever hear him recommending a comedy film, I'd treat it with suspicion.

1 person likes this

watched delirious with Eddie murphy for the first time in over 25 years and laughed my arse off the whole way through....forgot how funny it was

9/10

2 people like this

I'm watching dreamcathcer. Either the worst film I've seen or a good film. I really can't tell. An amazing cast. But the notion is an alien saving mankind hides in the body of a mentally disabled boy until he becomes a man and saves the world.

Either 1/10 or 10/10