Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Captain Bonglington

Fishing Kayaks

53 posts in this topic

I'm very tempted to invest in one, both for random paddling and fishing too. There's a few rivers near me, and I usually end up in Pembrokeshire and Devon once or twice a year too. Mostly I see myself paddling my local rivers chucking a few lures about though. There's a network of lakes by me where I can practice my skills before heading out on running water or the ocean.

I've been reading up a bit online and have a good idea of what I'm after, but are there any kayak anglers on here and do you have any advice? Cheers!

1 person likes this

Me too, I'd love one for fishing around the coastline, funnily enoughPembrokeshire as well, some lovely bass, sewin and mackerel to be had. I'd be careful on the game rivers though, a man stalking an an early evening seatrout won't be happy if his pool's disturbed.

Edited by Ital
1 person likes this

I have a regular supply of fresh Sea Bass from a friend who uses one of these off the coast of Clacton, he paddles out a mile, drops anchor and fishes till the tide turns, catches loads too! He had a Gurnard yesterday, didnt realise there was such crazy looking fish around these parts!

1 person likes this

Id love to do that on the coastline of where I live in Gran canaria..Just anchoring outside the caves on the coast..The only problem is I don't have much spare time and I use it playing golf..But I bet it's awesome to do on the rivers

Fishing of Kayaks is bliss.You really cant beat it.Friends near by smokes etc I'm luckily my dads a laminator boat builder.Also living a mile from the harbour helps.I couldn't live inland i love the sea and freshwater lakes.So peacefull

3 people like this

What icki said- go for it, it's blissful and also bloody good exercise.

Get a decent plastic boat by Perception, Fat yak or Feel Free, avoid Galaxy and anything inflatable.

:yep:

4 people like this

Me too, I'd love one for fishing around the coastline, funnily enough for Pembrokeshire as well, some lovely bass, sewin and mackerel to be had. I'd be careful on the game rivers though, a man stalking an an early evening seatrout won't be happy if his pool's disturbed.

I fish out of Cwm Yr Yglwys occasionally, I'd love to paddle out off Dinas head and fish the caves for Bass, you can't get close enough safely in a motored boat. Locally I'd be on the Severn, Avon and Wye.

@@Osama, the Galaxy Cruz was one of the ones I was looking at, apparently they're a very popular beginner yak, what are the issues with those dude?

Edited by Captain Bonglington

I fish out of Cwm Yr Yglwys occasionally, I'd love to paddle out off Dinas head and fish the caves for Bass, you can't get close enough safely in a motored boat. Locally I'd be on the Severn, Avon and Wye.

Have spent many years fishing the coastline around St. David's and then the rivers like The Nevern, Cleddau and Teifi, it's such a beautiful part of the world.

1 person likes this

It's stunning mate, I love the area. That reef at the end of Newport beach, opposite end to the estuary is fishy as hell, just being there makes my hair stand on end, hectic piece of water though!

the first kayak im gonna get is a sit on top, something to get me back in the swing.. im after the pecerption 13 all the reviews say it top for speed and stability and manoeuvrability, a really good coastal sea boat... for a £100 more than the standard 600 you pay for one you can get it rigged for fishing..

triumph-13-angler-l.jpg

in my search for a good boat one of the best fishing ones constantly mentioned was the wilderness systems tarpon. it's a bit pricey but apparently the shit for fishing..

tarpon-120-red-m.jpg

Edited by Sancho Panza
4 people like this

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking at, but there's almost identical yaks fully kitted out for half that online. This is what I'm cautious about, they have good reviews, but are they dogs?http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=galaxy+fishing+kayak&id=0A087D9551005A9495D1B6641E27A20D86B9091D&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=E026B2472CFF4C883276395DB4D1F0BEDEE3B63A&selectedIndex=20

Something like this....

got a link for one of those yaks mate?

there are loads of reviews buy real paddlers about those percetions and they all tend to say that it paddles as well as a boat with a cock pit. much better than most sit on tops..

will try and find some of the ones ive read....

linky http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=2981

Edited by Sancho Panza
1 person likes this

Just edited in a link in my last post @@Sancho Panza.

1 person likes this

@@Captain Bonglington tidy lookin boat but shes a bit wide in the beam and a little too short for the British sea and its changeable weather.

it would work like but imo in any sort of weather and waves it might be a bit of struggle to handle... in uk coastal waters you really want length and something with a bit of a keel..

Edited by Sancho Panza
1 person likes this

@@Captain Bonglington the Galaxy 'yaks might look good but there are horror stories of them sinking due to poor build quality..

If you want something similar look at the Feel Free Nomad and fit your own rod rest.

The Perception Triumph that Sancho posted is a proper tool to, if you want to go places that's the one to get. just bear in mind that it'll need a rudder to keep it straight in the wind, as will anything over 3m or so. The Nomads wont, and it's better for beginners IMO.

2 people like this