Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Abe Froman

Vegetarian Recipes -Post your favourites here

55 posts in this topic

@

This is how I make it -

Finely chop a large onion, or two. Put in a pan with some oil at medium temperature - you want to sweat them down not caramelise them. Get a few cloves of garlic. crush them with the flat of a chopping knife (with the skin still on, cos it makes the skin far easier to get off) then finely chop (I prefer that method to using a garlic press). Add to the onions when they are close to being translucent, cos you don't want to overfry the garlic. Fry intil it's all sweated down. Add a couple of tins of chopped tomatoes. A couple of roughly chopped peppers. Chopped chillies (as much or little as you like, I add a load cos I like hot). Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper. Add the beans (dried beans are best, both for price and flavour IMHO, but have to be pre-prepared, especially red kidney beans cos they have toxins in so have to be prepared properly, soak dried red kidney beans for at least 8 hours, drain & rinse, then boil for 10 minutes and simmer for about an hour, discard the water and rinse). Then bring to a boil turn down to a really low simmer with the lid on. Simmer for at least a few hours (the longer the better, longer simmering makes the flavour deeper). Take the lid off towards the end to thicken it, if it's not thick enough. Serve in bowls with grated cheese on top and warmed pitta bread :)

Edited by Boojum
2 people like this

Why?

It's an old chef stereotype mate. Typically pubs and restaurants don't cater for vegetarians as much as the do for meat-eaters, as they are the majority and the target demographic, there's usually a couple of token dishes and every so often you'll get a veggie, in the middle of a busy service saying they don't like what's on offer and can you make them something completely from scratch with ingredients you usually don't have. Vegans are the worst though. This is purely from a professional point of view, nothing personal. Some veggies that eat out regularly but are bored of the same old stuff will ring the restaurant beforehand, have a chat with the chef (me) and we'll come up with something they want. Just a bit of fun, nothing to read between the lines. To be honest, I think this is wise if you have any kind of dietary requirements, amongst other things, it saves disappointment.

Roast butternut squash soup

A butternut squash

vegetable stock

a potato

an onion

cream

For garnish

sunflower seeds

Cut BN squash in half, smear with butter and roast on gas mark 5 for 45 mins until soft. Scrape flesh out and add to veg stock, chopped potato and chopped onion. Boil whole lot till soft and blend. Add cream and warm.

Toast sunflower seeds in oven till nicely brown and sprinkle over top to serve :grubsup:

7 people like this

Not vegan cos of the cream, but Dauphinoise potatoes are a good addition to a vegetarian meal :) (as long as you're not watching your waist lol)

I like roasted root veg with Daupinoise potatoes :)

I've posted my recipe for Daupinoise potatoes before, basically it's just layers of very thin sliced potatoes in a deep ovenproof dish with some chopped garlic, sea salt & freshly ground black pepper on top of each layer, then double cream to cover each layer. Repeat. Make sure the last layer of potatoes is totally covered in cream. Grate some nutmeg on top if you want. Then bake at around 180C until the top is browned and the spuds habe absorbed all the cream, about an hour to an hour and a half. You can grate some cheese on top and brown that too if you like :) Decadent vegetarian food :)

Edited by Boojum
1 person likes this

Soup

Potatos

Garlic clove

Inion

Leak

Butter squash

Parsnip

Turnip

Play with how much of each till you find your fav. Blendit after boiled to taste i like liquid more than a paste but again optional. After i will ad pasta or spinach or green bean bring to boil again with a table spoon of olive oil

Serve with a bit of butterd toast

Not vegan cos of the cream, but Dauphinoise potatoes are a good addition to a vegetarian meal :) (as long as you're not watching your waist lol)

I like roasted root veg with Daupinoise potatoes :)

I've posted my recipe for Daupinoise potatoes before, basically it's just layers of very thin sliced potatoes in a deep ovenproof dish with some chopped garlic, sea salt & freshly ground black pepper on top of each layer, then double cream to cover each layer. Repeat. Make sure the last layer of potatoes is totally covered in cream. Grate some nutmeg on top if you want. Then bake at around 180C until the top is browned and the spuds habe absorbed all the cream, about an hour to an hour and a half. You can grate some cheese on top and brown that too if you like :) Decadent vegetarian food :)

Love dauphinoise potatoes. If you are watching you waist but not too much, you can use single cream or mix double cream with milk. Not quite as luxurious but sill good.

It's an old chef stereotype mate. Typically pubs and restaurants don't cater for vegetarians as much as the do for meat-eaters, as they are the majority and the target demographic, there's usually a couple of token dishes and every so often you'll get a veggie, in the middle of a busy service saying they don't like what's on offer and can you make them something completely from scratch with ingredients you usually don't have. Vegans are the worst though. This is purely from a professional point of view, nothing personal. Some veggies that eat out regularly but are bored of the same old stuff will ring the restaurant beforehand, have a chat with the chef (me) and we'll come up with something they want. Just a bit of fun, nothing to read between the lines. To be honest, I think this is wise if you have any kind of dietary requirements, amongst other things, it saves disappointment.

That was in the dark ages pubs and restaurants are alot better these days. I would expect a good chef would welcome a challenge when it comes to food..?

You should visit Soho.

3 people like this

butternut squash casserole

olive oil

2 onions finely chopped

butternut squash diced

1 courgette diced

1 aubergine diced

1 or 2 peppers chopped

mushrooms as many as you like

3 cloves of garlic

3 tbs tomatoe puree

1 glass of red wine

1lb/tin plum tomatoes

cumin seeds/ paprika and turmeric

salt and black pepper

I cup bulgar wheat

veg stock

greek yoghurt

grated cheese

fry onions in oil, add squash, aubergine, courgette, peppers, mushrooms and garlic, turning them regularly, after a couple of minutes add tomatoe puree, spices and seasoning, and continue to fry for about 10mins, continuing turning them regularly. add large glass of red wine, bring to boil, then simmer till wine has reduced to about a third. add the tomatoes, stir in and simmer for 20mins, pour in some veg stock, bring back to temperature, then add the bulgar wheat. simmer for 15minutes, adding more veg stock if required.

serve with a good tablespoon of yoghurt and sprinkling of cheese.

good winter warming dish :)

eta makes plenty so get the Tupperware ready

Edited by mad elf
3 people like this

6 Servings:

Nutrition Data, 209g Serving: 208 cal, 11g fat, 26 g carb, 5g sugars, 240mg sodium, 5g fiber, 4g protein, low Cholesterol, high Vit A, C, K, Potassium. Estimated glycemic load 11

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil or to taste
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced OR a pinch of asefetida
  • 1 Tbsp or to taste minced fresh ginger
  • 1 Tbsp or to taste minced fresh jalapeno pepper
  • 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced lengthwise and chopped into bits
  • 1 large sweet potato or yam, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces, OR 3 carrots diced, OR a small butternut squash peeled and chopped

• 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped in small pieces (3 cups) OR 1 head broccoli, stalks peeled, chopped small
  • 1 cup chopped green beans OR frozen green beans OR 1 small zucchini cubed
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 cup unsalted tomato sauce
  • 1/2 - 1 cup unsalted vegetable broth
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • Optional: 1 cup diced seitan or cooked red chili beans or kidney beans
  • Fresh ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tsp Salt OR 1 tsp soy sauce or Braggs liquid aminos OR to taste
  • 1/2 bunch chopped cilantro OR parsley

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/Mozambique-vegetable-stew.php

This is a nice meal :)

3 people like this

That was in the dark ages pubs and restaurants are alot better these days. I would expect a good chef would welcome a challenge when it comes to food..?

You should visit Soho.

Mate, I've been a chef for nearly 20 years, I've worked and eaten all over from from local pubs to city restaurants. Regardless of the PR and however nice the maitre d'/waiter/barman is, the kitchen always has the same moan about it, bar none.

My comment wasn't intended to inflame or indeed provoke a discussion, like I said it was a throwaway comment about a common (but true) stereotype of a typical chef.

1 person likes this

Mate, I've been a chef for nearly 20 years, I've worked and eaten all over from from local pubs to city restaurants. Regardless of the PR and however nice the maitre d'/waiter/barman is, the kitchen always has the same moan about it, bar none.

My comment wasn't intended to inflame or indeed provoke a discussion, like I said it was a throwaway comment about a common (but true) stereotype of a typical chef.

Like I have said, go visit Soho ;)

My favourite vegetarian recipe is this..

I get whatever vegetables are seasonal and chop them all into similar size pieces and steam/boil them. Once they're cooked, I add a good few lugs of decent olive oil and a big lump of good butter. I season it all and then chop at it in the pan with a sharp knife (Taking care not to hit the pan and only chop the vegetables). I then turn it all over a few times with a wooden spoon and serve it. Providing good vegetables are used, this is a winner. I don't buy vegetables from the supermarket anymore, apart from the odd bag of spinach. I get vegetables from a local supplier and its either cheaper or the same price as the supermarket, but way tastier.

3 people like this

Excellent idea for a thread am looking forward to seeing what tasty stuff materializes. :chef:

Had to laugh at the "annoying" vegetarians comments. I've been one, of the most annoying I'm sure, since 1972. In that time the attitude towards, and acceptance of, vegetarianism has changed out of all recognition.

Time was when mentioning that you didn't eat meat brought looks of incredulity and 'jokes' about rabbit food and weaklings.

There was no veggie option, a lot of salad, and I grew to love Indian restaurants with a passion.

These days Mrs Crows knocks up some mighty fine veggie nosebag, I shall try and get a few of her recipes to put on here, none of which will involve :Spam_Icon: of course.

Sorry, I'll get my anorak..........

3 people like this

Here's my favourite although it's not strictly veggie, courtesy of Dehlia.

Take a red pepper and slice clean in half including the stem and clean them out. Fill with halved cherry tomatoes, a chopped clove of garlic, a chopped anchovy fillet (strict veggies will just have to use a good pinch of salt instead) and a good glug of olive oil. Roast in an oven for about 40 minutes and serve with crusty bread to mop up all that oily/juicy goodness. Simple, easy and delicious, honestly, this is much tastier than it sounds.

2 people like this

150g hemp protein

50g organic milled oats (powdered)

1 tablespoon of peanut / almond butter

1 tablespoon of hazelnut spread

oat milk

teaspoon of muscovado or any sugar

Blend until blended.

This smoothie is like rocket fuel, it's really nutritious and really tasty.

Meat free chilli

3 cloves of garlic, fry in olive oil. You can add onion if you like them

Cup each of chickpeas, kidney beans, borlotti beans, black beans and lentils

a tin of plum tomatoes

a carton of passata

1 tablespoon of cumin, coriander, dried chilli and 3 cardamom pods, if you like it hot add more than this.

Cook it till its reduced. I used to like this with cheese melted on top, or with steamed dumplings.

Edited by Mitsouko
1 person likes this