Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DaftSkunk

Learning The Guitar

117 posts in this topic
tell us some songs u like ..and il try and find some easy chords for you to start with

Boulevard of broken dreams from Green day maybe?

(please)

not heard freebird either pinch.gif

:v::yep::ouch:

hi peace, not much of a greenday fan but if the older stuff has some good guitaring in it ill have a listen an i may go that way, cheers, just thought if i try n play stuff i know ill know if im gettin it right or not, but ill have a listen to the older stuff cos i imagine its better than the newer stuff.

should i know the tune tasty :doh: im a late bloomer

dan

http://www.chordie.com/chords.php

There is a great chart showing guitar chords. Just get used to strumming and switching between them smoothly. Learning to read tab is also a quick way to learning your favorite songs.

Edited by Buddy MacBudderson

big thanks for that link Buddy MacBudders

should i know the tune tasty doh.gif im a late bloomer

No mate, it's just that it's one of the most famous guitar tunes ever and I've not met anyone who'd not heard it before. What did you think? I can remember being blown away by it when it first came out and I can still air guitar every note in the comfort of me own home. :B):

How you guys hold you pick? with 3 fingers hanging down or bunched up like a fist? I been playing for about 3 years but always bunch up my fist when holding the pick. i got used to it liek that but it looks much cooler with 3 fingers hanging down ;)

:)

:wink: i just had to go and check. they hang down kinda. sorta like the 'a-okay' hand sign 3632.gif

right ive only had one go of my guitar and snapped a string :) .

so ive bought some light 9 gauge ones like i got told and im ready to go.

cheers buddy for that link, that'll be a big help.

oh n tasty yeah took me a few listens like, its a long un :wink:

anyway got a few questions, when lookin at the chord diagrams, the have 0's an x's above, what does all that mean, cant find anything to tell me.

ive tuned my guitar with an electric quick tune thing, but the strings sometimes vibrate against the fret things, the metal bits up the neck, their called frets rnt the?

heres a few pics of my guitar, is it any good?

an a pic off the net how it says to hold a pick

oh an what does the tune knobs do and the switch next to it

thanks for any advice, much appreciated

dan

post-28992-1257448110_thumb.jpg

post-28992-1257448120_thumb.jpg

post-28992-1257448240_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Nice to see another one playing the guitar

two sites that have really helped me, google justinguitar or ultimate guitar if you know how to read tab, it will have all the music you will ever need

Madness

Eta, the two nobs on it or maybe 3 on some guitars are the 2 gain and one sound, the switch next to it is so you can choose which pick-ups it uses to change the sound, by they are only any good when its connected to a amp

Personally, i'd go with acoustic with some steal strings, i still got my first 3/4 acoustic and play it more than my electric

Madness

Edited by madness

better to start off not using the pick m8 ...specially as its electric ..the 3 rd pic in your post showing your strum hand ...keep your hand exactly the same but get used to using the tip of your pointing finger instead of the pick ...it will give you much greater control over how the strings sound when you hit them ...specially when making the notes sound soft ...the plectrum can make the sound too metaly at times ...human skin/nail is the best contact surface ..still hold thumb and finger together ..use the skin on the finger tip for soft sound and the back of the nail on the downstroke for brighter/pluck type sound...beginners using plucks tend to break strings and make horrible noises..pluck amplifys your mistakes

ps

I play my electric unplugged 90% of the time ..better to learn stuff with no amp ..iron out the buzzing noises etc ...then when you can play it sweet plug in the amp

pps

your squire guitar looks ok and will easily do for the first 2-3 years or so or for life if your happy with it ...but its basically an imitation and wont cure with age like a real american strat ..my us strat is about 20 years old and is sweet as..if you check the head it prob says somehwere ..made in mexico/korea/china etc...

ppps

the buzzing strings could be a result of the action needing raised(dont mess with it) ...BUT! also because your using a pick and hitting it wrongly and too hard ...start using the finger as described and see if it improves the buzzing any

what are you currently trying to learn?

Edited by weed_G

cheers for the links madness, i dont know how to read a tab yet, but ill bookmark em anyway and av a look.

and ill just leave the knobs an such alone for now, yeah was gonna get an accoustic but got this given so dint bother, wat kind of accoustic should i look at?

hey weed g, ok ill start using my fingers instead, thats not me using the pick, its just Ganjaman asked how you hold a pick, thought he wanted to know until i read it again and realised it was just a general question.

:unsure: yeah already broke a string. and yeah ive been playing it unplugged at the mo, cos need some headphones when practicing cos our lass dunt want to hear my random noises lol , ill just keep it unplugged for now tho.

the guitars just for practicing really, wanted a les paul but got this given so saved ma cash. if i get the hang of it ill get a better one, one day. ill have a look where its made.

ill see how it goes with out the pick.

at the min im just trying to play a few simple chords, but when i get the hang of that im gonna go with pink floyds WYWH, like someone said as it seems a decent sort of simple song to start with.

thank

dan

Check out siggi mertens on you tube some good stuff for beginners

i bought my grandaughter a guitar for her birthday this year, she never touches it, i'm thinking of borrowing it, or buying it off her, iv'e had a guitar before but could not master it, but i never had a computer before with great teachers waiting to teach me.

will do roy cheers

yeah thats the beauty of the net, can learn most things if ya willing to put the effort in, give it a go grandad :rofl: ive learned myself many things from the net, growing been the best :thumsup:

dan