Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest podgy

BBQ

157 posts in this topic

Born and bred a good ole boy, and spending most of my youth in kitchens I've been exposed to just about any and every way you can Bar B Que Beef, Pork, Chicken, and my secreat weapon for competitions Turkey....

In my neck of the woods I'm somewhat of a legend :rofl: when it comes to my sauces and such... If people knew I was giving away my methods freely here they would join this site just to know how I do it :toot: (Especially my preacher :yes: )

So here we go... I'm gonna start off with Pork Butt 101....

Total time 48 hrs...

We are currently at the 24 Hour mark and the meat is still raw :rofl:

I like pick a pork butt that is well suited for the type of grill I use which is a smoker/roaster (aka green egg) not everyone has access to thes types of grills, but If you can get one or one like it I.E. a Grill Dome... I highly reccomend it :yep: If not then stick to this formula for temperature and cooking time with any pork or beef cut ( accept ribs they are a completely different beast which will be addressed in another installment)...

250 F (121 C) each half pound (250 grams) =1 hour of cooking time... so one pound (500 grams) would go for 2 hours @ 250 F

Now for the grill I'm using It will start off hotter and then continue to cook even after the fire's out, but I never let the heat get over 350F...

Now Picking a Butt (shoulder) I like to make sure that theres always a decent ammount of fat on the top side and a good consistent raw pork color to the butt....

After that I buy three 2 liter bottles of Coca-Cola and one 2 liter bottle of Root Beer... I pour these into a big pot along with some garlic, soy, apple juice, 1 16 ounce can of crushed pineapple w/ juice... and let this soak for 24 hrs... and this is where we're at....

post-24163-1225646472_thumb.jpg

After the soaking I pull the Butt and put on a Dry Rub that consists of Paprika, Garlic Powder, Parsley, Rosemary, and a lesser ammount of Chyenne(sp?) Pepper, Freshe cracked pepper, and a bit of salt... This thing needs to be covered with it :rofl: I normally get one side covered flip it and repeat... By the time I go to put it on the grill some of it will pull off the meat so I rub it down with my hand again to get it recovered... The moisture from the meat will help to keep it all in place :yes: Here is where it is now ready for grilling.... O(this is actually a pic of the last butt I did, but I will up some other pics of the Butt I'm doing today.....

E2A: note with pork butts there is no flipping involved it goes on the grill "Fat side" up and stays that way until its done :rofl: This is crtical if you looking to "pull" the pork which I'll do when I get this one cooked... :toot:

post-24163-1225646845_thumb.jpg

post-24163-1225646858_thumb.jpg

Edited by podgy
1 person likes this

I'm off to go fire up the grill and take some more pics ... Should be updating ya'll with the finished product, and My Margarita BBQ sauce recipie in a few days... Bear with me cause it might not be til tuesday cause I'm falling off the wagon tomorrow and getting stoned :)

Alrighty, This is what the butt looks like after a 24 hr soaking ... Note the two indentions on the right of the pic that's where I grabed it to put on the tray... :yinyang: It was almost falling apart and still raw :)

post-24163-1225726794_thumb.jpg

Dry rub: If you've ever watched a BBQ competition on TV then I'm sure you've seen a redneck or two flash a big zip-lock bag with a bunch a dry spices and refer to it as their secrect dry Rub.... Well that guy is a f'n moron.... The secret to a good rub comes with layering the dry ingredints on the meat in the correct order :):ouch:

Normally I start with the garlic and parsely mixture followed with the salt & fresh cracked pepper... Then and this is where it's important you put on the brown sugar followed with paprika and the chayene pepper... The reson for this... Not really sure but its to do with chemistry, and the fact that an 84 year old pit master from Aiken South Carolina told me so.... :yinyang:

post-24163-1225727222_thumb.jpg

post-24163-1225727248_thumb.jpg

post-24163-1225727263_thumb.jpg

Here's another pic of it coated... Just a tip on dry rubs...If your gonna do a butt cover the meat side last... that way when you put it on the grill the bottomside that will be exposed to the most heat will remain intact... If any of the rub pulls off the fat side scoop it up with your hand s and smear it back on.... and I like to add the fresh herbs on at the last minute thats rosemary on top there...

post-24163-1225727456_thumb.jpg

post-24163-1225727472_thumb.jpg

Aw podgy man,this sounds like food they'd serve on the set of Deliverance so the method actors can eat as well as act the part!

I've never seen anyone get so fired up about a pigs arse! :yinyang:

Here's a good pic of the grill I'm using a Grill Dome and the coals I'm burning with...... IMHO Hardwood its the only way to go with charcoal ... The wood chips I like to use A combination of hickory, oak, and peacan... And that is the order in which I use them... Same rule applies here too one type at a time and in that order The whole layering thing again the stronger flavors get mellowed out by the others... I don't use Mesquite makes, IMHO it taste more like a hot dog than BBQ to me... WHen cooking in a pit I will use just wood and make coals from three seperat fires.. I'll add a whole thing on that too eventually... Just gotta get around to another time when I have to dig a pit :yinyang:

post-24163-1225727640_thumb.jpg

post-24163-1225727660_thumb.jpg

How bout yah doc roc lol

It's actually a shoulder lol and the ham is closer to the ass....

BBQ-ing is something I've been doing since I was 13 it's almost as much in my blood as growing... Almost...

The only thing you can measure a man by in the south is his BBQ or his garden lol

Ok here's the progression first one right at entry, the second pic is after three hours, and the third pic is in the final hour... Note how the meat is pulling away from the bone... Yah meat shrinks when you cook it we all know that, but you can cook that butt all the way trouch and not have it pull away like that which means it will be tougher....You don't want that... Butts have alot of fat in them and If you don't do it right you won't be able to pull it.... Some folks chop it or slice it, I honestly feel that's their way of hiding the fact that they can't run a fire right ... lol

E2a: the fugn pics :yinyang:

post-24163-1225728368_thumb.jpg

post-24163-1225728382_thumb.jpg

post-24163-1225728400_thumb.jpg

Edited by podgy
1 person likes this

You know it's good when you pull it off the grill and this happens...

post-24163-1225728459_thumb.jpg

So it's cooked now wtf do I do with :yinyang: ..... Most folks think it's best hot of the grill and pulled.... How I like to do mine I let it sit on a tray and go back to room temperature, and wrap it up in plastic wrap... I do not refridgerate it... That will dry it out faster... When it cools down the fats and juices conjeal (sp?)/ solidify sealing it up tight lol + with the plastic wrap its safe for a 12 hour sitting... I feel this process helps add to the flavor of the meat... What I will do to day is "pull" the meat ( lol ) while its stilln at room temp... You can get the excess fat out much more easily this way... Another add in on keeping things at the right temperature, when you do that and go to pull it it's kinda like string cheese ... Best way I can think to describe the texture...

How bout yah doc roc lol

It's actually a shoulder lol and the ham is closer to the ass....

BBQ-ing is something I've been doing since I was 13 it's almost as much in my blood as growing... Almost...

The only thing you can measure a man by in the south is his BBQ or his garden lol

Yeah,that and his gun collection! lol

I must say its looking very tasty podgy mate,you must lurve your food!

There is an art to properly marinading meat isnt there,it can just totally transform it.

Gun collection and dawg... :yinyang:

note the dog is shaking slober off her lips cause she knows what's on the stove lol

Yah the marinating is very important especially with cuts of meat that perdominantly consist of fat... lol

post-24163-1225729313_thumb.jpg

looks and sounds delicious podgy