Welcome to the new and and we hope much improved UK420.com

Please note that this is a very recent upgrade and we are working hard behind the scenes to complete all the tasks so please bear with us if you find anything that's not working quite as it should be

You can use this topic to report any bugs you find or ask questions about how to use the new site

Thank you for your patience

Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vally

cfl lights any good?

Are CFL lights as good as HPS 600w grolux light in a wardrobe?

they're different lights. what does good mean?

cfl's are only 20 watt,mostly used for seedlings

[quote name='hodcorehoddy' post='1332956' date='May 14 2008, 12:41 PM']cfl's are only 20 watt,mostly used for seedlings[/quote]
uhh i have two 80w, two 27w and a 50w CFL's? aand i know of people with 200w CFL's...

I would say the basic rule is that if you have a decent size space, the very best results are going to be achieved with something like a 600 watt HPS, if you can't accommodate one, you work down through smaller HPS lamps.

Small fluorescents are handy for seedlings,

Some people have worked wonders with fluorescents.:-

[url="http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=81536&st=370&p=1187969&#entry1187969"]http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?show...p;#entry1187969[/url]

But in general if you can accommodate a 200 watt fluorescent, you could almost certainly fit in a a 250 watt HPS instead - which would be a better investment.

Just my opinion.

(not based on any actual experience of larger fluorescents lol ) Edited by compostverte

No they aren't :smoke:

(except that CFLs usually run at a lower wattage than stated)

EDIT :-

Just noticed you actually contradicted yourself afterwards.

EDIT2 :-

Not sure I'd want either stuffed down my pants. lol Edited by compostverte

[quote name='GH0STWITHTH3M0ST' post='1333000' date='May 14 2008, 06:22 PM'][quote name='hodcorehoddy' post='1332956' date='May 14 2008, 12:41 PM']cfl's are only 20 watt,mostly used for seedlings[/quote]
uhh i have two 80w, two 27w and a 50w CFL's? aand i know of people with 200w CFL's...
[/quote]

i cant seem to find any higher wattage cfl's round here other that 20w,i ment the smaller cfl's ,not 125w and 250w envirolights :spliff:

e2a:sorry ghost i just realized u were from the u.s,i will have to have a look on the net for some. Edited by hodcorehoddy

I'm fond of them for seedlings, but I'm fairly convinced a small HID - a 150 watt or even a 70 watt would do a better job.

i have some 20w cfl's that state they give an output equivalent to 100w, they have a lumen output of 1200. i wonder if 6 of these would give approximately 600w of light at 7200 lumens or is the maths not that simple :puke: Edited by stu420

Nope

that's 100 [b]incandescent [/b]equivalent :puke:

6 of those would get a tray of seedlings through the first 2 weeks.

a 600 watt HPS produces nearly 100,000 lumens, so you would need nearer 50 of them.

The most effective lights for growing pot - as opposed to lettuce - appears to be "point source". Edited by compostverte

[quote]i wonder if 6 of these would give approximately 600w[/quote]

No chance mate..20w is 20w and cfl's cant be compared to hps as they are not in the same league

Owd

20 Cfls are great for rooting cuttings (they don't give off much light)
Big cfls (i use a 250 enviro) are great for seedlings/little plants, people have grown nice buds with these, but don't expect much :puke:

So yes they are good for certain things, keeping you in a plentyful supply of weed then no :nea:

thankyou compostverte , Owderb & KC33. :puke:

Heya stu420 , [quote]i have some 20w cfl's that state they give an output equivalent to 100w, they have a lumen output of 1200. i wonder if 6 of these would give approximately 600w of light at 7200 lumens or is the maths not that simple[/quote]
They sound like the ones ive just mounted " soft mood " ?

[quote name='The Sheriff' post='1334877' date='May 17 2008, 01:46 AM']Heya stu420 , [quote]i have some 20w cfl's that state they give an output equivalent to 100w, they have a lumen output of 1200. i wonder if 6 of these would give approximately 600w of light at 7200 lumens or is the maths not that simple[/quote]
They sound like the ones ive just mounted " soft mood " ?
[/quote]
yep !
2 for 49p i think :wink: proper bargain. lets see what they can do, shall we ? Edited by stu420