The Protection Thread

mr. clean

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid to ask this really but what do most people go for with there cages 2ft or 3?

2ft is fine. Atleast 75cm ish long per cage. 1m is perfect tho

• 2 weeks later...

After finding a great new plot this year we realised there was actually loads of slugs in the area. I hadn't had a problem with them in my previous plot last year but they almost devoured all of one of my lovely Durban Poisons and completely devoured a Honey Bananas at this new place. Anyway, we tried salt (just got washed away when it rained), containers with apple juice in so they'd fall in (some slugs ended up in it but most just carried on eating our plants), cutting plant pots into jagged shapes and placing them round the base (this didn't seem to do a thing). So we decided to go all out with and I think we might have cracked it this time. Following this video we made little electric circuits to wrap round a plant pot that we placed over each plant (rather than one big circuit like in the vid):

gallery_95853_12973_70764.jpg

It was a lot of effort and cost a bit to buy batteries, wire and connectors for all 9 plants, but it was quite fun and we should have 100% protection now. I also don't like killing things I can avoid it, so didn't really wanna use the salt, apple juice or pellets. Plus pellets and rockwool aren't great for the environment. Everything else about the spot is perfect so I was willing to put a bit of effort in here. Here's a shakily filmed vid we took so we know they work.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v6403522qpKTbSHp

They'll have to find something else to feast on now!

So now we've got 4 Honey Bananas, 2 Durban Poison and 3 Shark Shock CBD out. I'll have to post a grow diary soon...

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Great minds, think alike ha ha

i went down the electric fence route too......Copper tape, just don't work....until you put 9 volts through it

gallery_79664_13023_103078.jpg

• Like 9

i went down the electric fence route too......Copper tape, just don't work....until you put 9 volts through it

Looks tidy! How's it working out? Battery still got juice in after a week?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@@blastoise

the battery doesn't lose much juice, lasts for 2 seasons at this rate of voltage disparage......after a month, was still showing 8.9 volts.....

Next season though, i will fit an inline resister to bring the voltage down in the strips.....9 volts is a bit harsh....instant death for the slugs.....the last one that tried to cross.....started to smoke ha ha

• Like 5

@@blastoise

the battery doesn't lose much juice, lasts for 2 seasons at this rate of voltage disparage......after a month, was still showing 8.9 volts.....

Next season though, i will fit an inline resister to bring the voltage down in the strips.....9 volts is a bit harsh....instant death for the slugs.....the last one that tried to cross.....started to smoke ha ha

You truly are the professor haha, but good call on taking the voltage down. My point with this was not to kill them.

• 1 month later...

So put the "soap keeps deer away" theory to the test. Yes it kept them away from my plants but they also ate the soap!! So in short, don't bank on it.

soap scares deer?

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On August 7, 2016 at 0:09 PM, Andromedian said:

Very neat,looks good.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2016 at 8:07 PM, Andromedian said:

@@blastoise

Yo Andro, what inline resistor will you use?    Going to give this electric fence method a try.    

Props to you and @blastoise:ninja:

21 hours ago, Blunt_Wit said:

Yo Andro, what inline resistor will you use?    Going to give this electric fence method a try.    

Just use AAA batteries m8 :yep:

• Like 2

On 13/04/2017 at 9:52 PM, Blunt_Wit said:

as slim said mate....can always use lesser voltage batteries...

i am not bothering with resistors now, but going to use 1 battery per 3-5 plants

• Like 1