The Protection Thread

mr. clean

I've heard smashed glass can be used to repel slugs. Anyone tried this?

EDIT: Sorry just noticed its been mentioned.

Edited by KeepItGreen

Anyone ever used them clear spiral tree protectors instead of bunny cages? Or 2 litre pop bottles with the top and bottoms cut off?

Edited by Jimjojammin

• 1 month later...

I was wondering would it be worth cutting fine strand wiring into 15mm lengths and mix it in with the eggshell

My thinking was its bloody sharp will easily penetrate the slugs and may even give them a minor shock

I'm goin to go on a slug finding mission and put a few things to the test

• 1 month later...

:shuriken:

For slug prevention.....

Try making a paste mix of cheap table salt and Vaseline...perfect non-soluble slug barrier.

:skin_up:

:shuriken:

For slug prevention.....

Try making a paste mix of cheap table salt and Vaseline...perfect non-soluble slug barrier.

:skin_up:

Havent been on the forum for ages and came on specifically to post this after I dreamt it up, haven't tested it yet, but surely this could be the most effective slug protection? I am going to use plastic cups and smear it over and some under the rim in case the rain leaches the salt out too quickly (this might not even happen). Also it might be better to heat the Vaseline so you can dissolve loads of salt into it. It could also be put on cages also. :yinyang:

Not much to be found on google but this:

https://100squaremetres.wordpress.com/2012/08/19/salt-and-vaseline/

• 3 weeks later...

Put a few more plants out the other day . I'd ran out of copper tape for collars but had a small bag of steel shavings begged from a mate's workshop . Hope this will stop the slugs , it's free and there's an unlimited supply . This Nep x Hindu Kush is the tester . Will let you know how it goes

gallery_68056_6042_221184.jpg

• Like 3

Copper shavings should do the job, try giving the guy some old pipes.

Don't know why no one has shown interest in salt and vaseline however.

Was thinking the same as Curiosity mike except using Vicks Vaporub in place of straight Vaseline (petroleum jelly) Camphor and mint oils in the rub are also useful as deer deterrents in a spray so may help slightly in this mix on collars. Also what about using Lime and /or sharp sand/diatomaceous soil as an additive?

You could just glue sharp sand or diatomaceous earth to the collars as its not water soluble like salt. I am using tin cans with flaps cut out and bent downwards with lots of this paste stuffed underneath so the rain will not wash the salt away so easily. Haven't checked my plot since plant out. There cant be anything worse for a slug than salt.

• 2 weeks later...

Reet :) , well it's a couple of weeks since I posted , the slug defense seems like it's holding firm . Weathers been on our side too recently :yep: Still this seems to work , no pellets have been used either . A couple more weeks and we are sorted :)

gallery_68056_6042_175033.jpg

Edited by Eelhelmet
  • Like 1