The Protection Thread

mr. clean

57 minutes ago, Exile420 said:

Might have to grab some batteries this weekend

They are the most worryfree...plant and leave solution, to date...for us anyway. Won't lose any to the slimey fuckers with these all over the gaff ha ha

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the battery + wire contraption was very effective for me last year, until the batteries ran out, but by then the plants were already tall enough. Lot of effort but can be worth it if you really want no problems early on from slugs.

• Like 1

On 25/04/2017 at 10:16 PM, blastoise said:

Yeah, the battery + wire contraption was very effective for me last year, until the batteries ran out, but by then the plants were already tall enough. Lot of effort but can be worth it if you really want no problems early on from slugs.

Have to agree...once in place, ain't no slug getting past these....

using the copper tape stylie, works out a bit more expensive...and works the bollocks, unless the tape falls off of course...

might try a few and staple the tape in places too. We used this method last year without stapling it and only one fell off.

• Like 2

Well after the slimy slug fest last year Ive just upgraded my copper tape slug rings to these electric fence type. 

I used some of the aluminium tape thats used for foil backed insulation, it comes on a roll around 50mm wide and its on backing paper so can easily be cut lengthways into thinner strips. I got it free from work but i think its cheaper than copper tape and you get loads on a roll.

A slug was selected for testing puposes and it appears the ally tape works perfectly :D

I found 3V is the minimum required to make them turn back, any less didnt always work. I used 2 AA batteries wired together in series. At this voltage it doesnt kill or seem to damage them but has the desired effect. Soon as it completes the circuit; instant slug shrink then retreat! 

Thanks for posting the idea guys :cheers:

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just adding a picture of the electric slug ring, I put the batteries in a zip lock bag then taped it up around the wires, Im slightly concerned that rain will run down the wires and fill my bag up with water so maybe a better method for the mk2. Maybe a little blob of silicone.

Anyway hope this helps out, obviously if you were doing loads it would be quite time consuming but for a small grow its no prob. Plus I feel much better not spreading those slug pellets around my plants. 

large.20170512_150455.JPG

• Like 8

Loving the electric defences lads :)

@uberowl if you had a little longer wires you could place the batteries so the wires were inverted ( facing uphill) water won't  get in then .

Edited by Eelhelmet
  • Like 5

Great stuff there @uberowl, my first thought was u cud get some of that insulation foam that plumber's use to fit around pipes & put it around the battery in2 a  pipe, silicone tube, tube hose or what ever as @panik suggested. Be lucky :yep:.

Edited by Irishgirl
  • Like 1

Thanks for the ideas, liking the little battery packs for next year. A worthwhile investment if it all works. Was a mistake making the wires so short, if i had realised it was so awkward to securely attach the wires at the plot (in the rain lol) i would of made them at home but was worried that if they touched in my rucksack they would short out. (Suppose i could of done something about that but hindsight hey) I had to tape the wires down the side of the battery first, i couldnt hold the battery, tape and wires at the same time. Thats how they ended upside down ruining my planlol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, uberowl said:

Thanks for the ideas, liking the little battery packs for next year. A worthwhile investment if it all works. Was a mistake making the wires so short, if i had realised it was so awkward to securely attach the wires at the plot (in the rain lol) i would of made them at home but was worried that if they touched in my rucksack they would short out. (Suppose i could of done something about that but hindsight hey) I had to tape the wires down the side of the battery first, i couldnt hold the battery, tape and wires at the same time. Thats how they ended upside down ruining my planlol

U have done very well to even think of this, give credit where it's  due :yep:. I was just thinking :g:, where did uberowl get these eletric battery fence things lol & now u have answered my question. Ooh u r a clever chap to make them up, gud on u :yep:.

Yes hindsight is a great thing but I'm sure u will be making more up probably 4 next season.

Now on that note, I was wondering again, cheeky of me, if u do make these eletric battery defense things up cud u do a photo diagram of step by step in how do u make it up 4 nobbs like me plz lollol . The very best mate :yep:.

@Irishgirl not my idea, it was posted last year, ive just adapted it to suit my situation. Will draw you a picture to show how i did it if you like, but we may want to see how they go this year first lol

• Like 1

on that set up with the tape around the tube if you get some good adhesive you can bond some rough as you can find sandpaper and slugs double hate that shit.

It'd be a simple but little extra protection that's v simple.

Love the electro shock stuff though 1st class.

• Like 2