The Protection Thread

mr. clean

VERY late to the thread, obviously, but does anyone know if snake droppings would work to deter rabbits, deer etc? I have a pet python and was thinking that i might as well put her shit to use lol

• Like 2

On 02/03/2019 at 5:45 PM, cutarino said:

VERY late to the thread, obviously, but does anyone know if snake droppings would work to deter rabbits, deer etc? I have a pet python and was thinking that i might as well put her shit to use lol

No good but her skin is full of cal for soil :yep:

• Like 1

Just now, SlimPikins said:

No good but her skin is full of cal for soil :yep:

wicked, shes just finished shedding so I'll see about adding it to my mix 

• Like 1

Used to use the kids corn skin myself, make a compost tea with epsom in. it works wonders for paleing plants :yes:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

want to get as many cages per roll of chicken wire as possible, without causing problems obviously.

from everyone’s experience, what is the smallest diameter of cage you can get away with? Thanks..  

• 3 months later...

Interesting thread with lots of useful tips and some creative solutions.  I have identified a couple of potential grow sites for next year and suspect that apart from slugs the major threat will be deer and to a lesser extent people.  A solar powered electric fence would deter the deer but be too expensive to risk losing, would not help with people but would probably increase the risk of them taking an interest in the plants.  For deer I note the suggestions for human-associated smellies like soap and aftershave and also for predator smells - like sprinkling expensive lion dung (though the deer would have to have a long memory wired into their genes to be concerned about big cats since the last cave lions in the UK became extinct about 12,000 years ago). 

Peeing around the area is often recommended but as far as I can see no-one has suggested the obvious solution - to lay a turd every time you visit (+/- an excuse to enjoy a jalfrezi or phall & a few Cobras the night before) or, if you are really keen, like those who bring a few litres of piss with them in bottles, even follow the Blue Peter approach and take a few you "prepared earlier" in Tupperware containers.  Longer lasting than urine, potentially helpful in masking the skunky smells of a plant in bloom and, if carefully laid on the approach route (taking care to avoid nettles, gorse, thistles etc during the birthing process) they would deter curious humans.  For protection against the human pest I think it would be best to crown the offerings placed on the approach with some white or pink paper to make it 1) more obvious and 2) more obvious that it is human.

We are happy to recommend chicken, bat, horse, lion and even python excreta either as a deterrent or as a source of nutrients, and in the form of "night soil" untreated human excreta has a very long and in some countries continuing history of use as a fertiliser, (albeit in many with the attendant risk of transmitting Ascaris - roundworms -  but Ascaris is very rare in this country), and even now the coyly named "solids" from sewage farms are used as a soil conditioner.  It would not be sensible to lay your deterrents too close to the plants as they would be too rich a feast for them while fresh but they could be dug in the following year. Of course they would contain your DNA but I doubt that the poliz would be sufficiently keen to go to the expense and hassle of sequencing it to try to bust the culprit - and who could prove that the person responsible for the turd was also the evil drug fiend cultivator, assuming you were on the national DNA database anyway? 

Some may say it is gross, but we are talking of protecting our lovingly nurtured plants so all options must be considered and the idea of free, natural, organic, recycling, dual-purpose solutions should surely appeal.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Socksnsandals said:

Interesting thread with lots of useful tips and some creative solutions.  I have identified a couple of potential grow sites for next year and suspect that apart from slugs the major threat will be deer and to a lesser extent people.  A solar powered electric fence would deter the deer but be too expensive to risk losing, would not help with people but would probably increase the risk of them taking an interest in the plants.  For deer I note the suggestions for human-associated smellies like soap and aftershave and also for predator smells - like sprinkling expensive lion dung (though the deer would have to have a long memory wired into their genes to be concerned about big cats since the last cave lions in the UK became extinct about 12,000 years ago). 

Peeing around the area is often recommended but as far as I can see no-one has suggested the obvious solution - to lay a turd every time you visit (+/- an excuse to enjoy a jalfrezi or phall & a few Cobras the night before) or, if you are really keen, like those who bring a few litres of piss with them in bottles, even follow the Blue Peter approach and take a few you "prepared earlier" in Tupperware containers.  Longer lasting than urine, potentially helpful in masking the skunky smells of a plant in bloom and, if carefully laid on the approach route (taking care to avoid nettles, gorse, thistles etc during the birthing process) they would deter curious humans.  For protection against the human pest I think it would be best to crown the offerings placed on the approach with some white or pink paper to make it 1) more obvious and 2) more obvious that it is human.

We are happy to recommend chicken, bat, horse, lion and even python excreta either as a deterrent or as a source of nutrients, and in the form of "night soil" untreated human excreta has a very long and in some countries continuing history of use as a fertiliser, (albeit in many with the attendant risk of transmitting Ascaris - roundworms -  but Ascaris is very rare in this country), and even now the coyly named "solids" from sewage farms are used as a soil conditioner.  It would not be sensible to lay your deterrents too close to the plants as they would be too rich a feast for them while fresh but they could be dug in the following year. Of course they would contain your DNA but I doubt that the poliz would be sufficiently keen to go to the expense and hassle of sequencing it to try to bust the culprit - and who could prove that the person responsible for the turd was also the evil drug fiend cultivator, assuming you were on the national DNA database anyway? 

Some may say it is gross, but we are talking of protecting our lovingly nurtured plants so all options must be considered and the idea of free, natural, organic, recycling, dual-purpose solutions should surely appeal.

Load of shite.

;)

Literally

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

I could of mentioned this before but it works so wack nettles around your plot and prepare to be amazed.Nettles release a pheromone that says danger to a lot of living beings not all but about78% your welcome goofy.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 7:40 PM, Socksnsandals said:

A solar powered electric fence would deter the deer but be too expensive to risk losing

I've read somewhere that people use fishing line around the border of their plot to deter deer. The idea is that the deer cant see the fishing line and it spooks them when they touch off it.

• 3 weeks later...

@Pheonix

Howdy neighbouroo. 

Faeces contains more than enough DNA to implicate anyone who is unlucky enough to be on the database. 

Probably a good deterrent but only for smaller plots or for those with no record. 

Just my humble opinion. 

Thanky doodles

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 13/02/2020 at 11:47 AM, Ned Flanders said:

@Pheonix

Howdy neighbouroo. 

Faeces contains more than enough DNA to implicate anyone who is unlucky enough to be on the database. 

Probably a good deterrent but only for smaller plots or for those with no record. 

Just my humble opinion. 

Thanky doodles

Nice reminder I best not shit at my plot

1 hour ago, B-real said:

Nice reminder I best not shit at my plot

Ahhh but think of all you'll be leaving behind :yes: if you stop your regular defecation on your plots. 

Andrex packed as standard and a copy of high times magazine. 

Taking your time everytime to lighten the load after the long treck. 

Appreciating the mixing of smells of the fruits of your labours :bored: in the fresh air of the british countryside. 

• Like 1

lol Y'all crack me up with that shit talk..

Jokes aside, if you need to worry about deer then I'd imagine either there must be some pretty obvious trails about the place, or, it must be a pretty obvious plot...

Some intentional tree fall on well established trails that lead in an unwanted direction should help. They won't go out of their way too much to get to good *browsing land, especially if you obstruct their well established trails which will spook them.

Edited by HullFeltMashematician
*grazing
  • Like 3