The Protection Thread

mr. clean

Well mine this year are getting the copper collar treatment gonna use cheap plastic plant pots to create a double wall and fill the gap with fresh mint leaves every visit.

It was the only thing in the garden last year that didnt have even a nibble i mean they really avoided it.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Heh, I only nipped on to discuss the use of batteries with copper tape as a barrier, then I find it's already come up and being done - awesome!

I put a young Sweet Trainwreck Auto out recently, in lovely condition - copper taped well and such but still, 2 days later half the plant stripped by a single fat slug that pushed through. I flung it added more tape but another got through and carried on the job for a while before I found it.

Anyway because my fibre planter is part buried and the cage is the same dia. and buried with it, I had no room for 2 layers of copper tape, so I just put a ring of bare copper wire on the ground around the cage a few mm away connected to -ve, then connected the cage and 30mm copper strip above to +ve, which should do it!

For batteries I used 2 tired 18650's for e-cigs, made a battery box with the box they came in, and taped it inside a freezer bag.

Those lithium ion cells will just hold their charge, and at only 7-8 volts or so, even if it's wet the current drain on them should be minimal.

I have more plants to go out, will do the same or similar for them but I think just one 18650/per (3.5+ volts) plant or two is plenty.

Cheers me dears!

',;~}~

FlowwolF

On 13/06/2021 at 5:15 PM, FlowwolF said:

Heh, I only nipped on to discuss the use of batteries with copper tape as a barrier, then I find it's already come up and being done - awesome!

I put a young Sweet Trainwreck Auto out recently, in lovely condition - copper taped well and such but still, 2 days later half the plant stripped by a single fat slug that pushed through. I flung it added more tape but another got through and carried on the job for a while before I found it.

Anyway because my fibre planter is part buried and the cage is the same dia. and buried with it, I had no room for 2 layers of copper tape, so I just put a ring of bare copper wire on the ground around the cage a few mm away connected to -ve, then connected the cage and 30mm copper strip above to +ve, which should do it!

For batteries I used 2 tired 18650's for e-cigs, made a battery box with the box they came in, and taped it inside a freezer bag.

Those lithium ion cells will just hold their charge, and at only 7-8 volts or so, even if it's wet the current drain on them should be minimal.

I have more plants to go out, will do the same or similar for them but I think just one 18650/per (3.5+ volts) plant or two is plenty.

Cheers me dears!

',;~}~

FlowwolF

Well no surprises but it seems to have worked 100% for me - not a single land mollusc has touched it since. Fingers crossed!

• 1 year later...

Revival time... Just a thought, petroleum jelly and salt mixed together seems like a great idea - I wonder if adding garlic granules to this mix would help even further in deterring other pests too?

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 5/4/2019 at 3:32 PM, Downsouth said:

want to get as many cages per roll of chicken wire as possible, without causing problems obviously.

from everyone’s experience, what is the smallest diameter of cage you can get away with? Thanks..  

Well I understand this was a good few years ago but no less than 0.7 meters for me lol

3 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Well I understand this was a good few years ago but no less than 0.7 meters for me lol

lol 600 talk 300 wide min does the trick. I do like a fat cage tho 350 and they can stretch wide and healthy