The Protection Thread

mr. clean

my take, bag + sillica bundled into a bit of £lands finest counterfeit tupperware plus plenty of cable ties...

large.5911fc20b5b86_electrictowers1.JPG.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blunt_Wit said:

my take, bag + sillica bundled into a bit of £lands finest counterfeit tupperware plus plenty of cable ties...

large.5911fc20b5b86_electrictowers1.JPG.

I wish I was able 2 do things like this :taz:.

Neither B & Q or Homebase round here do copper tape it seems. Managed to find some in my local Waitrose of all places.

• Like 2

Make sure there is some tape on the roll and indeed a roll in the box if you buy from poundland :)

I thought i would see if i could refresh my tired old towers by soaking in a vinegar soloution, sort of helped put some shine back :yep:

medium.towers_after.JPG.63f37b0f85bf8804

the top-mid one was only half in and you can see the difference.    

I think i have a field mice problem as every auto i planted out(caged) is nothing but stem! i need to plant the photos this week so i need this sorted> i Will try brambles in a ring around cages and make new cages double wrapped so the holes are smaller> is there anything else i could try> any help would be much appreciated> sorry for the arrow crap but my keyboard has just started playing up i cannnot use commas and full stops> 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Heads up peeps!

Good news for the eco-friendly GG'er - perhaps.

large_gel.jpg

Cost: £2.50.

I'll field-test it extensively this year and report the results.

Where I live it's slug-o-rama and they do significant damage to my

harvest despite my (non-eco) generosity with the slug pellets.

:yinyang:

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi guys i know this is the protection thread ie plants etc , but what do you guys use as an "out" if your ever caught near your grow ? i was thinking of always having a fishing rod with me and a handfull of spinners , and if anyone ever said anything i could say i was fishing , ive tried to look for plots near rivers and small lakes that are off the beaten track so i have an "out"  just wondered if anyone else has thought of different "outs". Peace. 

33 minutes ago, jinjah ninjah said:

Hi guys i know this is the protection thread ie plants etc , but what do you guys use as an "out" if your ever caught near your grow ? i was thinking of always having a fishing rod with me and a handfull of spinners , and if anyone ever said anything i could say i was fishing , ive tried to look for plots near rivers and small lakes that are off the beaten track so i have an "out"  just wondered if anyone else has thought of different "outs". Peace. 

Fishing gear is always good if your near water, get a rod bag too they're good for harvesting tha goods, a map, compass and hiking clothes, ( look lost have a route marked on map) binoculars & bird book is always a winner. I've thought about a metal detector too, then you don't look outa place carrying a spade! My favourite though, is have a dog! 

• Like 2

One thing I will ad @jinjah ninjah

if you go down the fishing guise route and I use this myself at one of my plots. Not sure how clued up on fishing you are but, buy a rodlicense and if the water belongs to a club, join it! They are on it like white on rice and if you do get called out at least you aren't gonna be a poacher as well as a ganjafarmer. One mistake can lead to many if you let it. Good luck, wish you a bountifull harvest! 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Russjackell said:

One thing I will ad @jinjah ninjah

if you go down the fishing guise route and I use this myself at one of my plots. Not sure how clued up on fishing you are but, buy a rodlicense and if the water belongs to a club, join it! They are on it like white on rice and if you do get called out at least you aren't gonna be a poacher as well as a ganjafarmer. One mistake can lead to many if you let it. Good luck, wish you a bountifull harvest! 

Thanks for that Russjackell, I was thinking of day tickets so im legit. Dog idea is great as my good lady loves dogs so i might even get some brownie points ... bonus ..  peace . 

• Like 1

Anyone else using petroleum jelly and salt mix?  I use both plastic bottle and bean tin cloches and make a paste from petroleum jelly, fine rock salt and some wd40 which goes around the outside of the upper half of the cloche. With these added, I’ve got my slug pellets use to just a light scattering at plant out and I don’t even know if that’s needed. I use the organic iron based ones only. The paste is also very good for putting onto cages and I’m convinced it also deters deer and rabbits - it also lasts ages and is water proof. Less than a quid for a big tub of home bargains own brand jelly! Cheap as chips and has done me proud the last few years. Also bean tins if stashed and left out, rust up and become more stealth the 2nd year. Am thinking of ditching the pellets altogether next year. 

• Like 4

On 5/29/2017 at 10:45 PM, beezee said:

A bit of cling film round the base of the cage maybe? @chaosmonger

did this last year it certainly deterred a few but  the plot looked like the eden project that clingy can catch the light to  so decided to not use again

• Like 4