just switched to coco and not going well

ratdog

44 minutes ago, Pot of soil said:

Would you say that is OK or am I technically still feeding them in there own shit in your opinion ?

Its better, especially as you're combining it with top watering. Are you using a coir mix by chance? Like perlite or pebbles mixed with coir? These kind of mixes are impossible to hand water and get enough to the plants, without doing what you're doing IE you keep watering until they stop wicking it back up and then dash whats left in the saucer, but long term that causes loads of issues and its loads of work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, latigid aikon said:

My Celias took bloody ages to show sex, they're worth the wait though...

these are cutting's from the only female from my second try with them, wished i'd taken cuts from the first round, and crossed them with my stash of smile f2 that i keep forgetting about, but that's lazy minded for you lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lennyd79 said:

So where do you discard your run off then?

Hi mate I welded up this drainer from some ol scraps in me shed and bunged em in a plant tray which I drain intermittently with a small newa 320 pump into a bucket which I empty by hand each night

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Just now, Top_Nuggets said:

Hi mate I welded up this drainer from some ol scraps in me shed and bunged em in a plant tray which I drain intermittently with a small newa 320 pump into a bucket which I empty by hand each night

Hope this helps

large.IMG_2167.jpeg.c0ac812bccc3dbba22434e17422b5877.jpeg

Soz forgot to attach pic with first post. 

Bless 🙌🏻

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GSZZ said:

Its better, especially as you're combining it with top watering. Are you using a coir mix by chance? Like perlite or pebbles mixed with coir? These kind of mixes are impossible to hand water and get enough to the plants, without doing what you're doing IE you keep watering until they stop wicking it back up and then dash whats left in the saucer, but long term that causes loads of issues and its loads of work.

Cheers  @GSZZ 

Im glad I asked, as I had started to do that quite a bit.

At the minute I'm just using canna coco profestional plus in 3.5 inch pots.

I've decided to go with the hempy bucket style of growing which will see me using pebbles when I get round to making them 

Im guessing that until they are put into the hempy buckets, I need to either 

A)water more frquently 

B)water with a watering can and rose to slow down the process, instead of the current tactic which is to use a jug.  

Sorry for hijacking the thread (puts hand up and dips neck)

ph meter arrived today, just calibrated it so ready to knock up a measured feed when the lights come back on, they are still looking good, but i don't want to over water, i doubt the root balls are that big yet but will have a look at the base of the pots and see what i think.

• Like 2

On 19/01/2024 at 13:48, GSZZ said:

Do you mean how, rather than where? I use drain trays, either individual or large ones, that are plumbed to a brain bucket that pumps the waste water to a collection tank that (ideally) I drain onto the garden, but sometimes it has to go down the drains for safety as it can be a bit suss dumping lots of buckets onto the garden, especially at this time of year.

Alternatively, I use plant pot saucers turned upside down with holes drilled in them, placed into a larger tray and place the plants on those, when they're watered it collects in the tray but the plants aren't sat in it - I can then collect that run off later with a pump, wet/dry vac or a big sponge and a bucket and dispose of as aforementioned.

You've explained how you water/feed very well but do you not think that your making a lot of work for yourself? I agree watering to run off is beneficial which I do every feed but only a slight run off so i know the pot is watered through. The need to remove the excess for a lot of peoples grow rooms is a ball ache. Reducing your feed towards the end of flower and a few plain waterings at the end reduces the salt build up. Some people don't flush they just taper down. Do you think people growing in soil using chemical fertilisers are clearing the run off after every feed! 🤔 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lennyd79 said:

You've explained how you water/feed very well but do you not think that your making a lot of work for yourself? I agree watering to run off is beneficial which I do every feed but only a slight run off so i know the pot is watered through. The need to remove the excess for a lot of peoples grow rooms is a ball ache. Reducing your feed towards the end of flower and a few plain waterings at the end reduces the salt build up. Some people don't flush they just taper down. Do you think people growing in soil using chemical fertilisers are clearing the run off after every feed! 🤔 

Dress it up as much as you like Lenny mate, but the issue here is you cant be arsed which is fine mate, I am a very lazy grower myself also, but there is a point where you stop giving the plant what it wants, and start giving it what you want, cos its easier.

Crack on dude, you do you, but feeding from the bottom continously, never exchanging the stale gasses/air inside the pot, or flushing away excess salts, is not the right way to grow the best quality/yielding plants possibe, but hey, if you're happy with what you're doing keep filling them trays up pal

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GSZZ said:

Dress it up as much as you like Lenny mate, but the issue here is you cant be arsed which is fine mate, I am a very lazy grower myself also, but there is a point where you stop giving the plant what it wants, and start giving it what you want, cos its easier.

Crack on dude, you do you, but feeding from the bottom continously, never exchanging the stale gasses/air inside the pot, or flushing away excess salts, is not the right way to grow the best quality/yielding plants possibe, but hey, if you're happy with what you're doing keep filling them trays up pal

Manners please? I was just discussing a topic between ourselves so no need to go on an ego rant.  🙃 

Edited by lennyd79

right, so getting this feed malarkey mixed and measured is a peice of piss, especially as the ionic lands at around 6.1 without adjustment atm, now i just need to gauge how much, i fed at 1.5 again today but reckon i should be at 1.6 . a few spots developing on the leaves still, but looking pretty good still, all things considered.

large.IMG_5579.JPG.5654fea062faaaaa51f9afe0c6a25055.JPG

• Like 4

On 18/01/2024 at 19:01, Arthur Mix said:

I’d also not be at that EC level yet maybe 1.3 or 1.4.  I’m presuming that you had these in coco all along and not changed from compost to coco ? 

sorry mate, i missed your post. i am still feeding at 1.5, and they were potted up from coco/compost mix.

e2a, i've still got that three bottle grow nutes, i think that was nova max from TA, perhaps that would be better, it was for soft water.

Edited by ratdog

Looking happy now owd lad. Just measure a bit of run off to be sure to be sure. If it’s lower you know you’re good to give em a few more calories. 

• Like 1

thanks @mikeydoughnut will do.

this change has inspired me to carry on with the build @Revive although slightly smaller, i don't want to feel too cramped in my bed at night lol

here's the carcase, it's a 1x1m room with 500mm space then the cupboard in the wall which is about .7m2.

space is at a huge premium, so i'm working with stuff in my way

large.IMG_5581.JPG.517f2cbf8cefd7c2d6a6046bdbec61d0.JPG

• Like 7

@ratdog good to see your little plan is up and running again :)

still plenty big enough for your needs I'm sure, like you say your gonna be a bit cramped otherwise.

what's the plan for the cupboard door rats?  I see it opens inwards into the new space. 

are you using the cupboard as a separate area or is it going to be opened up as 1 space? Looking forward to seeing it all take shape brother, should keep you busy for a while 👍

Edited by Revive
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Revive said:

what's the plan for the cupboard door rats?  I see it opens inwards into the new space.

they will be removed, and it will be one big space, easier to heat and extract without fucking around.

yes, will keep my mind busy thinking about this and that, i wanted to secure into the ceiling, but it's concrete and even the sds drill says "fuck that man!" lol