just switched to coco and not going well

ratdog

Also make sure you're getting 10-20% runoff. When I find my EC creeping up it usually down to the plants drinking more and my automated fertigations not being long enough to get enough run off

• Like 1

thanks guys, i wouldn't say they are really drinking more atm apart from maybe a couple of the bigger ones (this is the first time i've watered them thoroughly, and still not all of them, only the ones with the lighter pots) so i'll deal with them first and see what EC is, the rest are not far off i would imagine

:)

e2a, some more needed a good soak this morning, so things are going in the right direction, i've started adding cal mag, they just need it with this nutrient and new growth is look great.

need to crack on with the other grow room now, they are galloping along lol

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 2

These coco threads always put me off trying coco, compost just seems so much easier lol

Good luck with the build ratty :v:

• Like 2

Most o my issues are environmental usually too bloody cold which will fuck up coco soil or hydro tbh lol

Coco is generally fairly easy if yer environment is spot on 

• Like 4

On 19/01/2024 at 17:33, ratdog said:

the stroppy one is still sulking, so will get binned if it doesn't buck up its ideas.

Aye, fuck the bitches that don't play ball.. I think, given, how few we grow compared to proper breeders, we can't afford to have iffy ones.  I'm planting about 50 to find 9. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KC said:

These coco threads always put me off trying coco, compost just seems so much easier lol

when i was adding cal mag to compost nutes it would throw them out of whack, now i'm adding cal mag before the nutes and counting the N in the cal mag as part of the feed it looks like that's fine as long as the EC is the same with or without cal mag, if that makes sense lol the new growth looks like it likes it any way.

i really think this is the way forward for my shitty water, seeing the way they have responded so quickly is amazing. don't be put off mate, the main cause of the thread was my own stupid fault letting them get cold lol

for years i always thought it looked too complicated, now after a week of feeding i'm starting to understand the ec/ph stuff, in fact my mixed nutes are at ph 6.2 without having to adjust so that's a bonus for having shite water lol

i'm going to take friday off and get the cupboard operational and then finish the build on saturday, the plants are growing so fast i might have to do something before that lol

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i really think this is the way forward for my shitty water, seeing the way they have responded so quickly is amazing. don't be put off mate, the main cause of the thread was my own stupid fault letting them get cold lol

If  you are hit with a cold spell in your growroom, for whatever reason, take the moisture level down to just damp at root level. Hold that until the temp issue is sorted. Same applies to all particulate media. If you want to grow sub-20c, perlite is a must to prevent the water blocking the air spaces. That moisture doesn't disappear/evaporate as quickly as in warm conditions, so the roots starve of  air whilst they are drowned.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikeydoughnut said:

get yer truncheon out mucka

I was thinking about buying one recently but more for a perlite hempy bucket. When I hear about the amount of nutes people throw away with coco is one of the reasons I get put off. I suppose you can ofset that by buying the 10ltr bottles/biggest ones you can buy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KC said:

When I hear about the amount of nutes people throw away with coco is one of the reasons I get put off.

me too mate, it irks me already, i'll start using in the polytunnel in the spring and i wouldn't be going down this route if it wasn't for my shitty water.

i was just looking at the girls and already have a female, it was the first most vigorous plant to get going, she's a beauty, hopefully she's a keeper.  those best starters are usually male for me lol

• Like 2

You need to stop thinking of them as nutes. They’re not nutes. Its sort of like it’s okay to use left overs the day after if you cooked too much but that doesn’t include your morning dump because it’s composed of that same meal. 

Its possible to become efficient with nutes to lower run off. With regular watering enough to maintain a good EC the run off required is minimal because the water:salts ratio within the pot don’t require so much/any adjustment. When a decent dry back occurs or I’m drastically under feeding I’ll try and negate the amount of waste by making a weaker mix to bring things down abit quicker or a stronger mix for the opposite effect but similarly using less liquid to get to my desired EC. 

• Like 5

On 23/01/2024 at 11:33, KC said:

It was the same for me as well, it sounded far to technical and advanced but low yields, poor tasting smoke and higher  electricity prices have made me try it.

I've found this thread quite well timed to be honest and very helpful with good nuggets of knowledge so thanks @ratdogfor documenting your grow

Im only 4 weeks in, but all my rooted clones are still alive and some even been potted up.

I've learnt to water more often

Water to runoff 

If the ec is higher coming out of the pot is higher then whats going in, before flushing or lowering ec, see if the problem can be fixed by watering even more often  

I think I might have over done the water to run off thing and I am a bit worried ive washed out the pre buffering agent as from 3 liters of feed I had 1 liter of run off to get rid of and the pots are no more then 2 liters and there was only for of them, but I'll get better at judging 30 percent im sure.

Good luck with the grow @ratdog as soon as my buckets are here im going to be making hempys as well

Edited by Pot of soil
  • Like 3

@Pot of soil if you ask the internet it’ll tell you coco is fully saturated at 40%-50% of the volume. 

Obviously we don’t want to water when it’s bone dry so we can shave some off that. I might be talking shit to some ears but I can’t stress enough the importance of checking your run off EC when starting out in coco. Its solid data. It’s not an opinion. That’s what’s in the pot. Don’t drown them. Go steady. Lift them if you can, intuitively you’ll know if they feel heavy enough to expect a bit of run off. Give the feed time to work through the pot. Measure that first bit of run off is it too high, too low or just right? Then act accordingly. It’s a pain in the arse but if it takes you 20 more minutes it’s 20 minutes we’ll spent. Eventually you’ll just start to back yourself. Admittedly I’ve been very very lazy last couple of months and need to be more on it 

• Like 2

If the ec run off, is coming out, a lower reading, then the ec going in 

Eg  1.5 in and 1.3out

Is it saying I can up the feed,  I haven't come to that conclusion, I've just read it, but as with everything worth double checking imo

Also if my water was tested  and the results said 7.4ph

Why is it coming out of my 100l storage water butt @8.4, as its just meaning I'm having to us more phdown.  

@3ml (just under) a liter, my hard water nutrients bring it down to 6.5 ph, alright I only have to use a few drops but still from what I've read it's best to use as less of it as you can.

Whats bothering me is why is it going up.  

What is causing it and can I stop it 

Not sure if anyone knows 

But using nutrients at 2ml a liter means I have to use a lot more drops so if I can do something to fix it. It would probably be a good move.

On 23/01/2024 at 11:33, KC said:

Coco can be as easy as soil. 

• Like 2