just switched to coco and not going well

ratdog

Gotta admit I rarely water to runoff when I just potted up I tend to end up wi overwatered plants that way lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, McHazy said:

Gotta admit I rarely water to runoff when I just potted up I tend to end up wi overwatered plants that way lol

this was my worry, i imagine if you have a good root ball it's hard to over water, but if it's just coco then things can become difficult.

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 1

It also depends on how much of a pot size ye jump up most folks have well rooted out plants and go up incrementally whereas I tend to jump up a few sizes in one go

And if ye feed to runoff after doing that then they are sat in cold wet coco that the roots arnae reachin for cause they already soaked which is where the problems start lol

so aye was a bit ay a learnin curve for me findin my grow style lol

Worth remembering too that I am a good way north o most ay yez an therefore a lot fuckin colder lol (-2 an 2ft ay snow outside right now :yep:)

Edited by McHazy
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

What boiler do you have?

A knackered one, it's a valiant combi but it hasn't heated water for a good 15 years.

My shower is an electric mira , dunno if that alters the effectiveness of my water?

:yinyang:

Edited by BilgePump
ETA im still baffled how you guys can keep plants happy with air temps of minus twelve degrees Celsius

28 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

A knackered one, it's a valiant combi but it hasn't heated water for a good 15 years.

My shower is an electric mira , dunno if that alters the effectiveness of my water?

The minus is a typo, has to be. 

I'm not sure about electric showers (or combi boilers to be clear). It was just something I was told, there's like a cathode or whatever in the boiler to stop limescale or corrosion or something, apparently it leaches into the water? 

Like I say I don't know if it's true or not, would love a plumber or someone to chime in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MindSoup said:

The minus is a typo, has to be. 

Yeah i assumed that but my inner pendant wouldn't let go lol

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, ratdog said:

this was my worry, i imagine if you have a good root ball it's hard to over water, but if it's just coco then things can become difficult.

When I pot up it does feel like I’ve lost the plot pushing feed through to set the right EC. You kinda expect it to be soppin gunk but leave it to drip off for a few minutes and stick yer finger in. It’s surprising how airy and not sopped it is. Good coco will drain nicely. It’s the fine coco peat that you wash out of the bricks is what can get claggy and prevent the roots getting sufficient oxygen. Once I’ve potted up I wait for the surface of the coco to change colour before going in again. I’ll always check EC when I’ve allowed it to get over dry after a pot up. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone tried sticking and aquarium heater into the bottom of a hempy bucket?

Maybe a nice cheap way to keep roots warm.

46 minutes ago, Bulldogbill91 said:

If I let the pot suck it back up a few times just to get a feel for it my self my ec would rise 

Doing that is sucking the salts washed out straight back in, not good 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

there's like a cathode or whatever in the boiler to stop limescale or corrosion or something, apparently it leaches into the water? 

It's a sacrificial anode like I said before, I could see it raise the EC of the hot water in my old house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

Like these

large.IMG_0103.jpeg.28fba3800260df5759f087e61562d05a.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

It's a sacrificial anode like I said before, I could see it raise the EC of the hot water in my old house.

Aha, it was you then was it. So do you end up with a plant full of zinc then? 

2 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

So do you end up with a plant full of zinc then? 

I don't know what they're made of but I assumed it would just be trace amounts, however it was enough to raise the EC of the water noticeably.

A quick google says they are either magnesium or aluminium, if it's the former maybe it's not a bad thing? lol

No fucking way man! That would be brilliant lol

Might get 2 water tests done, one cold one hot, see how they compare.

• Like 2