just switched to coco and not going well

ratdog

If it was me personally I’d do a foliar feed using something like Nitrozyme. I’d also use a nutrient like Novamax or coco dua maybe as I’ve not really needed to add anything else apart from roots excel or nitrozyme. I also wait till roots are well developed before potting on , even then they go limo next day transplant shock etc . I’d also not be at that EC level yet maybe 1.3 or 1.4.  I’m presuming that you had these in coco all along and not changed from compost to coco ? 

@Highgrower An aquarium heater at bottom of a Hempy wouldn’t be a good idea imho, I can see why people think of it though  .What happens when the plants used that nutrient ? The heater would still be on and they need to be submerged or they cook stuff 

• Like 4

^ + 1 for using Calmag with Coco. I use it every feed and remember to PH your water.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bulldogbill91 said:

I switched to coco on this grow and that's where I was going wrong kept watering to run off at the start and they always looked shit limp and deficient . I jumped from a 2l to 12L and Stopped giving them run off for a week or 2 and perked right up and started with run off a week or 2 later almost to the point were I was thinking not going to use coco again. I'm not the best grower but i had same issue about 8-10 week back but these lot have turned about better then my soil grows and just feels easier then soil only disadvantage for me is dealing with the run off. If I let the pot suck it back up a few times just to get a feel for it my self my ec would rise . So might get away with it once or twice. 

Hi pal, I switched to coco many years ago now and after i pot up I'm careful about overwatering initially. But once fully rooted I water until runoff and I do not discard it. I let it suck it back up although towards the final 3rd of flowering I taper my feed down. I don't test ec or ph and I yield over a gram a watt on hps and the weed is a really nice smoke. Any questions on how I grow - just ask. Lenny

3 minutes ago, lennyd79 said:

I let it suck it back up

Yeah for anyone reading dont do this - you wouldn't eat your own shit, dont make your plants eat theirs.

Granted, the pot sizes I use are 4L and 8L, but I'm not sure why you're all over watering in the first instance? I only pot once, from a 3" eazy cube block to either of the aforementioned sizes, water until run off, then leave for a day before watering everyday until run off. The volume amount needed for run off increases everyday from a few hundred ml until I'm giving them full saturation (couple of litres) usually inside of 10 days from pot up, it only takes a few days from there before the run off ec starts creeping up and they're wanting more than one watering event per day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

all those saying temps, are right, i think my paranoia about cooking roots (i lost 4 big premier sweets in 10ltr pots, they were all clones of the mum used for the cross i'm growing atm, they went in looking a million dollars, i had the probe at the top of those pots , the base roots didn't stand a chance :crybaby:) is an issue

i've had the heat mat probe literally on the floor for fucking ages lol , but now i realise it was cutting out the thermostat way too often for bigger pots...

extremes, i live them lol

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ratdog said:

all those saying temps, are right, i think my paranoia about cooking roots (i lost 4 big premier sweets in 10ltr pots, they were all clones of the mum used for the cross i'm growing atm, they went in looking a million dollars, i had the probe at the top of those pots , the base roots didn't stand a chance :crybaby:) is an issue

i've had the heat mat probe literally on the floor for fucking ages lol , but now i realise it was cutting out the thermostat way too often for bigger pots...

extremes, i live them lol

e 2 a, i'll grab a pic :stoned:

10 hours ago, ratdog said:

please help!

crispy leaves were from before, and this is near lights out

large.cocoissues.jpg.7144c5f9872f65b024592a4cfadd9236.jpg

Hi mate, ive never used coco without perlite but my understanding is that coco should always be wet. Always feed to runoff. Coco is airy so as long as is not the powdery shit you should be able to drench em n keep em drenched innit.

Them there girls look very light in colour, and I reckons they is stressed out big time cos theyre fing hungry man!  I’d give em a good ol drencing in the morning with about ec 1.3 in soft water.

If you’re worried about overwatering pick each pot up after the feed and just try to encourage some air back in by quickly raising the pots in the air about 10 times to force extra water out of the bottom. Works a treat! 

Just my tuppence worth, feel a bit nervous giving advice as I’ve only just joined and don’t wanna come across as an annoying know it all twat 👀

Anyway all the best brother hope you get em back on track quick. Bless 🙌🏻

• Like 1

this was taken an hour or so ago, i'll water in the morning i think

pot surface temps raised ftw! thanks for working this through for me, i know what the parameters are but i'm a lazy minded cunt sometimes lol i love this place :)

large.IMG_5579.JPG.5654fea062faaaaa51f9afe0c6a25055.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Top_Nuggets said:

Just my tuppence worth, feel a bit nervous giving advice as I’ve only just joined and don’t wanna come across as an annoying know it all twat 👀

We are all twats mate & everyone's growing experience varies so we welcome your input.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

is that a ptc fan heater bottom left???

ceramic ducting heater mate, rated for 20,000 hours, connected to a step controller and running at 180 watts

e2a, plants look even better this morning, except the miserable sapphire mid left

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ratdog said:

ceramic ducting heater

Same thing basically. I've been meaning to get one for a while. 

• Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

Same thing basically. I've been meaning to get one for a while. 

wasn't sure what ptc meant, cost me £17, very handy in a tight space

i also ordered a bluelab ph meter last night to go with the bluelab ec meter i bought years ago when i was going to have a go at coco then but jibbed out lol