just switched to coco and not going well

ratdog

hello all, i've recently switched to coco in the hope of combatting my soft water issues, but i seemed to have fallen at the first hurdle lol

i potted up my deficient plants on saturday, they looked happy for about 24 hours then started sulking. i mixed nutes to 1.5 ec as according to the ionics bottle directions but think it may be too much? ph is 5.5-6 my ph pen is a bit crap tbh.

here's a pic from just now, a few are ok, but most are not happy. should i repot with fresh coco and feed at a lower ec? of flush

please help!

crispy leaves were from before, and this is near lights out

large.cocoissues.jpg.7144c5f9872f65b024592a4cfadd9236.jpg

Are they warm enough mate? Your pots look a wee bit dry for coco too. Obviously don't overwater, but try to avoid too much wet and dry.

E2A electrician time - raise up those electric bits to the right and pleez dude, get a new stuffing gland on that open cable access.

Edited by monkeypig
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, monkeypig said:

Are they warm enough mate? Your pots look a wee bit dry for coco too.

the room is at 28 and they seem heavy enough, i have been watering a little, ive had issues with over watering before so trying to be careful.

so 1.5 ec isn't too much?

1.5 to me seems excessive but not on pot up. I watered through my last pot up at 1.6 until the run off measured 1.2. I’m battling cold though so have to keep the light and feed aligned with the heat. Also 6.0 seems to be the sweet spot for me. I wouldn’t go lower. Especially given calcium uptake is best available at 6.2 - possibly bro science but knowing different things are best absorbed throughout the ph range it kinda makes sense. 
My first port of call would be temps but if environment is sound test your run off and see what’s in that there coco. If you don’t go abit heavier on pot up you’ll be pushing loads through to get your target  EC. If you don’t push enough through they’ll be going hungry. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ratdog said:

1.5 ec isn't too much?

IME it depencds on the feed. The intense I've been running for ages seems to be happier running high EC but depends on the feeds used, and also  running LED seems to want higher EC.

Make sure you are watering to run off , but try raising them (stick them on upturned saucer ?) to stop them sitting in run off.

• Like 1

If they've a decent amount of roots..?,fertigate til you get 20% run off.

They'll pick up in no time.

Don't be shy ,it's not compost!

• Like 2

Cant add much more to whats already being said, 1.5 ec is alright as @monkeypig said it depends on the food used and composition, and they do look like they could do with a bit more water going through the pot - and I know 28c is alright, but I'd honestly get it a bit higher to 30/31c,  try and keep RH between 60 - 70% also.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

and they do look like they could do with a bit more water going through the pot

i didn't water to run off the first time, should i do that now?

i've turned the heater up, and the humidifier also, the bottom of the opts are warm, the tops were cold lol :russian:

e2a, thanks for all the replies :)

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, monkeypig said:

IME it depencds on the feed.

it's ionic

3 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i've turned the heater up, and the humidifier also

Have you tried turning the extractor fan off entirely? I tried that in veg after fatboy suggested it as a way to raise humidity and it works excellently.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

Have you tried turning the extractor fan off entirely?

it's not a big room, i have turned it down to 1. it was quite warm yesterday, near 30, and they still looked like shit, perhaps i need to run some more feed through?

• Like 1

I must be lucky with Scottish water, never measured any PH etc in my coco. I did make some risers to go under the pots though.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i didn't water to run off the first time, should i do that now?

i've turned the heater up, and the humidifier also, the bottom of the opts are warm, the tops were cold lol :russian:

e2a, thanks for all the replies :)

always water to run off, 10 - 20% should be the aim. Coir holds a set amount of air, so as long as it drains and isnt sat in its own filth you wont over water unless room temps arent ideal - but that'll be sorted going forward now you've turned some knobs (oo err) n that. For some perspective, after I water them in, I miss a day and then water again, and then after that point I water everyday even though the volume of solution going through the pot might only be a few hundred ml until run off, that increases day by day until they need it more than once per day.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, ratdog said:

it's ionic

I've no personal experience with Ionic, but I know from friends that use it that it's good and affordable.  Sorry can't advise further.

• Like 1

Wrap the pots with bubble wrap, a couple of wraps 

Put a meat thermometer in at least one pot

Your feed should be @26*C and feed to 10-20% run off, twice a day at least, from day 21 in flower I feed every 2 hours

Use a brand name Calmag

Clay pellets on the top stop evaporation and disperse the feed, coco is very easy to make boggy

Any photo of the base of the pot, like roots coming out?

• Like 1