just switched to coco and not going well

ratdog

2 hours ago, monkeypig said:

@ratdog looking much better already. You'll be a coco lover soon I can tell 😀

thanks mate, i'm trying not to get too excited atm, but seeing them perk up and not look over fed makes it hard not to lol

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GSZZ said:

Yeah for anyone reading dont do this - you wouldn't eat your own shit, dont make your plants eat theirs.

Granted, the pot sizes I use are 4L and 8L, but I'm not sure why you're all over watering in the first instance? I only pot once, from a 3" eazy cube block to either of the aforementioned sizes, water until run off, then leave for a day before watering everyday until run off. The volume amount needed for run off increases everyday from a few hundred ml until I'm giving them full saturation (couple of litres) usually inside of 10 days from pot up, it only takes a few days from there before the run off ec starts creeping up and they're wanting more than one watering event per day.

So where do you discard your run off then?

26 minutes ago, lennyd79 said:

So where do you discard your run off then?

Do you mean how, rather than where? I use drain trays, either individual or large ones, that are plumbed to a brain bucket that pumps the waste water to a collection tank that (ideally) I drain onto the garden, but sometimes it has to go down the drains for safety as it can be a bit suss dumping lots of buckets onto the garden, especially at this time of year.

Alternatively, I use plant pot saucers turned upside down with holes drilled in them, placed into a larger tray and place the plants on those, when they're watered it collects in the tray but the plants aren't sat in it - I can then collect that run off later with a pump, wet/dry vac or a big sponge and a bucket and dispose of as aforementioned.

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 4

I use these bad boys that sit in the planter trays, but of course , it's manual labour to empty run-off, but my domestic sitch means that's what i have to live with.  They work though

large.TRAYS.jpg.f23cb52c8323fb19a60547e011849775.jpg

large.Axed2.jpg.d9b308a084e20b9c96472bd7e7395ae5.jpg

Edited by AJA
  • Like 1

@AJA where did you get them mate?

i'm thinking a small pump connected to some tubing and into a bucket for the run off, beats doing it with a sponge or syringe

Got 'em right here ratty  😀

Edited by lildaveham
Please don’t post links to online shops
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mikeydoughnut said:

Please don’t buy things from temu … 🫣

Bloody hell mukka I almost fainted. Finally something we can both agree on lol

• Haha 1

Lol best mark it on’t calendar. Sometimes needs must but I’d fish what I needed out of a shitty bin before even considering buying from temu 

any way, back to the topic!

just gave them a bit of feed, they are all looking great, leaves look ok so far, but i'm not going to get excited until i'm convinced the deficiencies are taken care of with this feed.

the stroppy one is still sulking, so will get binned if it doesn't buck up its ideas.

just potted up the 2nd celia, so now it's just the sexing, hope it's quick as it's going to become a jungle in no time, topped them all now also.

• Like 5

@GSZZ

I'm new to coco and have probably let the coco get far to dry a times.  I'm still at the 3 inch pot size.

My tactic has been to water them until I get a nice amount of run off, easily the 30 percent reccomended  

in my head that has hopefully got rid of any salt build ups, but upon lifting the pot it feels like they could hold a bit more feed solution 

So If they felt like they could be heavier, I would then put  them in a saucer and fill the saucer up with clean feed solution and then leave them in there for 5 mins of so  just so they can suck up some more fluid.

Would you say that is OK or am I technically still feeding them in there own shit in your opinion ?

Edited by Pot of soil

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

just potted up the 2nd celia, so now it's just the sexing, hope it's quick

My Celias took bloody ages to show sex, they're worth the wait though...

36 minutes ago, Pot of soil said:

feeding them in there own shit

Now your making them sit in their own piss 😁

@ratdog

Remember coco not only has no feed it also has no

buffering against mistakes, unlike compost or soil,

basically it's hydro.

All coco does is support the plant, getting the right

watering and feeding is the trick...looking better bud...👍

• Like 1